PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous bug discovered

Stairman
12-29-2008, 07:40 AM
I do alot of hunting here in Florida and often see a weird bug on the trees I climb.Ive never heard of what its called so I caught two,the smaller male rides on the larger female,in a ziplock and brought em home.A quick search on the internet and there they were.Anismorpha,or muskmare.The female is about 3 inches long,black with two long stripes running the length of its body and always has a smaller male riding on top and connected like a love bug.The stripes are yellow.These bugs can spit in your eyes and the pain has been discribed as molten lead dropped in them.But they usually only get one eye.The acid can ulcerate the retina and scar it permanently,and they can spit 2 ft.They are throughout the southeast.I have been real close to these things and never knew of their danger.Thank god for the internet.Maybe someone with better computer skills than me can post a picture of this insect in the walking stick family.It seem dogs are a usual victim.

nell67
12-29-2008, 07:49 AM
is this what you found?

Stairman
12-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Thats close enough.The ones down here have two yellow stripes running the length of the body.Also I have never seen one without the smaller male riding on top.I once thought it was a baby but realized the torsos were connected,but yes thats it,Thanks Nell!

nell67
12-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I tried to upload one with the male attatched,however it wouldn't let me,LOL.

Ugly bugs.

crashdive123
12-29-2008, 08:13 AM
They are commonly called stick bugs, or walking stick bugs.

RunsWithDeer
12-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Glad I live where those bugs don't live. Sounds like a nasty painful ordeal if they spit in your eye.