PDA

View Full Version : Comedy of errors...................

FVR
12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Guess ya can say I had an "off" day.

Managed to get out to do some trout fishing;
1. Almost fell flat on my arse in the stream, I grabbed the wrong boots, the ones without the wool glued to the bottoms.
2. Decided to walk up the left side of the stream, up and walk the deer trail. Deer have 4 hooved feet, I don't. I found myself in a situation, 100' up was steep, wet, and covered with leaves. 75' below me, just as steep, wet and covered with leaves, but, at the bottow was a 10' drop into the stream. So, I start my decent and you guessed it, on my arse sliding down a wet, leaf covered muddy slope. I finally stopped, luckily I know enough to fall back and slide on my arse rather than lean forward and go head first. When I finally stopped, I managed to end up taking two steps and finishing my slide to the bottom, stopping right before the 10 foot drop.
3. Time to make some tea, flint and steel, caught the spark in the char, prior to leaving, knowing that it had rained and everything was going to be wet, I threw into my bag a piece of charcol and a mess of pop sickle sticks. MENTAL NOTE.... those sticks don't burn worth a crap, and everything was soaking wet. Guess what? Yeh, no hot tea today.
4. Hit the stream for some fishing, caught 3 trees, stepped in a hole, wet up to my waist.
5. Heard dogs barking close, then heard small game rifles, 22 or 17's, they're running hogs, and I did not wear any orange.

6. Time to go home.

Had a fun time, given all the circumstances. Need to come up with a better tinder as if you've read my posts, I usually only get into the woods when it either rains or after.

I can laugh at myself for making such BOOT mistakes. It happens, sometimes, even after doing this primitive stuff for close to 15 years, I feel like a greenhorn.

tsitenha
12-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess we all have bee there, in some way or other, at least I have.

I guess I will make a tinder/kindling box out of mooze antler to hold some sticks and tinder on the opposite ends..

crashdive123
12-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I know that not everybody likes to carry all that modern stuff, but even in the pouring rain you can start a fire with Wetfire Tinder.

All in all it sounds like you still had a nice day Frank.

tsitenha
12-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Heard from news report from Georgia:

Hunter spooked by eerie ethereal song rendition of

"Slip sliding away" :eek: