PDA

View Full Version : My new cookset

LudwigVan
12-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I got this new cookset for Xmas:

http://www.msrgear.com/cookware/alpgourmset.asp

I'm quite proud of it, Can't wait to try it!
Has anyone here had experience with this set? Anything I should know about it before I use it to keep myself alive in the wilderness?

Until I can try it I think I might get a pack of Bear Creek soup mix and just try it out on the stove.

crashdive123
12-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Looks nice. Use it a few times and it will look experienced.

Sourdough
12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
I like it. Are the sides the same thickness as the bottom of the pots.....? Or is the bottom thicker.....?

"REAL MEN" pack serious steel.

Pal334
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Crash,, they even have a coffee filter/maker/thingy !!!!! http://www.msrgear.com/cookware/mugmate.asp

civilization wins out again :)

Ludwig: That is a nice set of cooking gear

crashdive123
12-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Yep - coffee good!

LudwigVan
12-28-2008, 07:24 PM
I like it. Are the sides the same thickness as the bottom of the pots.....? Or is the bottom thicker.....?

"REAL MEN" pack serious steel.

The sides are the same thickness I beleive, I think the bottoms might be just a hair thicker though.

I'm with you on real steel, I couldn't justify spending money on a coated aluminum set. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they're great but stainless is my personal preference. You don't have to worry about the coating for one. I'm not real big on the health scare but coated cookware has never impressed me. If you scratch it it's ruined, and although I take care of my stuff I don't want to have to worry about scratching a pot while I'm outdoors. Now as far as cooking at home you can't beat anon stick fry pan for eggs and crepes, but that's about it for me.

People get a bit obsessive about weight methinks. It's all to get you to buy titanium. My set only weighs a couple of pounds, I don't carry a whole lot other than food and water and basic eqpt. so I'm not real worried about it.

tipacanoe
12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
I have both stainless and aluminum coffee pots, and the only one I use is the stainless. Stuff just taste better when not cooked with aluminum pots and pans. Don't forget to put that little bit of soap on the outside before you use it over a fire.

tsitenha
12-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Excellent choice, I like the tea pot :)

SARKY
12-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Nice set, i've gone totally titanium, i'm getting too old to carry around stainless.

RBB
12-29-2008, 02:17 AM
I got this new cookset for Xmas:

http://www.msrgear.com/cookware/alpgourmset.asp

I'm quite proud of it, Can't wait to try it!
Has anyone here had experience with this set? Anything I should know about it before I use it to keep myself alive in the wilderness?

Until I can try it I think I might get a pack of Bear Creek soup mix and just try it out on the stove.

Looks like a nice set.

laughing beetle
12-29-2008, 02:46 AM
I bought a stainless steel mess kit at WallyWorld for about $15.00. I also use a large enameled cup, again from WW which ran about 3 bucks. Lightweight and it all fits into a mesh bag that I got from a local dollar store. easily hangs from my backpack. That set you got looks real nice though...I am just a cheapskate at heart.

tonester
12-29-2008, 04:14 AM
i just got a cookset too from campor, it cost 30$. its really light. i cant wait to try it out. heres a pic.

crashdive123
12-29-2008, 07:37 AM
With all of these new cooksets for Christmas, we are expecting so samples of that fine outdoor cooking.

primeelite
12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I wish I could find a place for all those in my backpack and gear but don't know if I could handle all that extra weight just to get in a decent meal. Do they bog you down much weight wise?

LudwigVan
12-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I have both stainless and aluminum coffee pots, and the only one I use is the stainless. Stuff just taste better when not cooked with aluminum pots and pans. Don't forget to put that little bit of soap on the outside before you use it over a fire.

Now what does that do? Never heard that before.

And beetle, I wouldv'e been happy with any old $10 stainless set, but my family was just real good to me for christmas with this one! I had been using one of those single person coleman sets made from aluminum. They aren't bad for 5 or so dollars but they aren't great either...And if anyone else comes along they better either bring thier own stuff or go hungry.

Now as far as weight I'm really not all that concerned about a couple pounds. I know it adds up, but I think it will serve me a lot better than something lighter. And when I hike with another person (which I usually do anyway) we can each take half of the set to cut back on weight.

crashdive123
12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Now what does that do? Never heard that before.

When you're cooking over a fire, your cookwear tends to get black with burned on soot. Soaping the exterior makes it easier to get the soot off.

LudwigVan
12-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I have been told to let it blacken a bit...

tonester
12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I wish I could find a place for all those in my backpack and gear but don't know if I could handle all that extra weight just to get in a decent meal. Do they bog you down much weight wise?

the set i got weighs 1 lb. 7 oz. i dont think its that much at all considering you will be able to cook a decent hot meal for a few people. and just like ludwigvan said you can split the weight if you are trekking with someone else. i can also fit up to two alcohol stoves in the cookset when it is all packed up...so it gives me more room in my pack.

crashdive123
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM

It all depends if you want to leave the soot on your pots I suppose. Brand new stainless cookset - I'm betting you'll keep it clean. An old coffee pot that has seen many campfires - not so much.

klkak
12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Crash,, they even have a coffee filter/maker/thingy !!!!! http://www.msrgear.com/cookware/mugmate.asp

civilization wins out again :)

Coffee filters....Coffee filters.....Real men just boil a pot of water and dump in some coffee grounds. Let it simmer for a bit or two then pour and drink:)

tipacanoe
12-29-2008, 06:57 PM

I guess it would depend on how many places you want the black soot. I'm pretty sure not all of it will wash off, but what does come off will much easier, then you can sit back and watch the fire and enjoy life. Clean up will need to be done, at any rate.

LudwigVan
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
So today I used the 1.5 liter pot to make some ramen noodles. Worked great, can't wait to take it camping!

tsitenha
01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Just sew a old pair of jean legs bottoms into a bag, or buy one. keeps it clean for the rest of the pack.

RichNH
01-05-2009, 10:09 PM

It'll blacken soon enough with use. I'd try the soap for awhile. The problem with the soot is it gets all over everything when you pack it away.

Rich

crashdive123
01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't let my stainless set blacken. Cast iron - sure, but stainless no.

rebel
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Just a question...

What would it hurt if it did blacken? Maybe, I'm just being ignant.

crashdive123
01-05-2009, 10:20 PM
IMO, carbon build up on the exterior of a stainless pot tends to be less uniform than on cast iron. The heat transfer then occurs at different rates. In the big picture, it probably does not make that much difference, but why spend the extra $$$, and carry the extra weight if you are going to change the properties of the cookware.

rebel
01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
IMO, carbon build up on the exterior of a stainless pot tends to be less uniform than on cast iron. The heat transfer then occurs at different rates. In the big picture, it probably does not make that much difference, but why spend the extra $$$, and carry the extra weight if you are going to change the properties of the cookware.

O.K. I just wondered why.

rebel
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM

I just ran across something that perked my interest. The wife was baking a cake and I was checking out the instructions on the box. The directions call for "heating the oven to 350 F for shiny metal or glass or 325 F for dark or nonstick pan". So, less heat is required for the darker cookware. I doubt the time difference for boiling water would be much between shiny and dark.

LudwigVan
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the good info on cleaning you guys. I'm still a survival noob, but from talking and showing it to different people I've learned a lot of good stuff. Evidentily it will blacken evetually no matter what. I'm going to clean it when I use it now.

Oh and It came with a case BTW. The top part of the sack is nylon with the MSR logo and the bottom half is mesh. For the bottom half I'm gonna put a cleaning rag in between the mesh, just figured it would be a good place.