PDA

View Full Version : Homesteading

Fog_Harbor
09-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I just bought 80 acres and I'm wondering if you all had some pointers on homesteading.

Sarge47
09-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I just bought 80 acres and I'm wondering if you all had some pointers on homesteading.

build an extra cabin and invite me over.:D You might try getting "Down To The Roots" magazine, it's devoted totally to homesteading. Also there's a forum called "Homesteading Today" as well as a Yahoo groups forum called "Organic Gardening Homesteading". "Backwoods Home" magazine used to have a forum but I'm not sure. (Thank my wife for the serious info) "Mother Earth News" has their original articles on their web-site. Hope this helps.;)

owl_girl
09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
build an extra cabin and invite me over.:D You might try getting "Down To The Roots" magazine, it's devoted totally to homesteading. Also there's a forum called "Homesteading Today" as well as a Yahoo groups forum called "Organic Gardening Homesteading". "Backwoods Home" magazine used to have a forum but I'm not sure. (Thank my wife for the serious info) "Mother Earth News" has their original articles on their web-site. Hope this helps.;)
I have some Mother Earth News magazines and they have some really good articles, I never been to there web site though. I think I might have a couple Backwoods Home ones too but I’m not sure. Your wife knows her stuff…cool. I think I’m going to check some of that stuff out :D.

Sarge47
09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
I have some Mother Earth News magazines and they have some really good articles, I never been to there web site though. I think I might have a couple Backwoods Home ones too but I’m not sure. Your wife knows her stuff…cool. I think I’m going to check some of that stuff out :D.

Check out the 1st issues of their magazine as they had a lot better stuff back then. My wife has her forums, I have mine. She's really into the herb scene as she has a lot of health problems and her system has developed an immunity to most anti-biotics. She studies homesteading and organic gardening as well as putting the gardening into practice.:cool:

owl_girl
09-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Check out the 1st issues of their magazine as they had a lot better stuff back then. My wife has her forums, I have mine. She's really into the herb scene as she has a lot of health problems and her system has developed an immunity to most anti-biotics. She studies homesteading and organic gardening as well as putting the gardening into practice.:cool:
I’m sorry about her health, herbs are usually healthier than antibiotics, I know some people that have benefited greatly from herbs. You guys both sound like you know your stuff. I’ve always been interested in that kind of stuff like growing my own food but I’m not very good at gardening yet. I experimented with a water garden this year and the plants did great but the fish didn’t do so good lol. I’m also interested in building my own cabin someday. I got some books on the subject and I plan on taking a class when I have the money.

wareagle69
09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
i just did the same thing 76.8 acres about an hour and a half out of the big city closest town of six hundred is a few miles away now i can get statred on my garden and survival shelter it already has a barn for my draft horses and tons of bush to go play in. also i am at my wild edibles course this weekend so i'll talk to ya all on monday.

owl_girl
09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
i just did the same thing 76.8 acres about an hour and a half out of the big city closest town of six hundred is a few miles away now i can get statred on my garden and survival shelter it already has a barn for my draft horses and tons of bush to go play in. also i am at my wild edibles course this weekend so i'll talk to ya all on monday.
Thats awesome wareagle.

smokelessfire
09-14-2007, 11:10 AM
for a 55 acre property, with a big meadow and woods, no stream or pond, a small house and garage, what would be the most profitable thing to do with it, in order to be self-sufficient?