PDA

View Full Version : Going it solo!

Sarge47
09-12-2007, 07:20 AM
TBWN says that the two of them are going out into the Northern Canadian woods with just their knives and the clothes on their backs in the late fall. A visit to their web-site revealed they had studied somr of Dr. Ron Hood's materials. Dr. Hood did a video on a "near-disasterous " solo survival trip for 14 days, check out what HE thought someone should take...this is his gear list:

http://www.survival.com/html/solo_gear_list.html

So what do ya think? Does the good Dr. know what he's doing or not?:confused:

survivalhike
09-12-2007, 06:56 PM
I agree that they are nuts, but why does the list you linked on your post have "lock picks" on it? I thought the woods we're open to everyone? LOL

Fog_Harbor
09-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I was kinda wondering that too. Seems to me he was ready for a 3000 mile cross country. I'm glad I don't have to carry all that crap...

FVR
09-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Don't think I could carry all that stuff in a Jeep.

BillHay
09-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Keep in mind the good Dr.Hood had three other people and some large dogs to help haul the load. Ive seen the video, its o.k. I felt there were a lot of incomplete details, ie, where did that fancy 22 rifle come from?, shelter details, camp life day to day on a solo, but I guess it wasnt really a solo.... lots of details I would like to see were missing from a " solo survival" video. Just sayin...

Sarge47
09-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Keep in mind the good Dr.Hood had three other people and some large dogs to help haul the load. Ive seen the video, its o.k. I felt there were a lot of incomplete details, ie, where did that fancy 22 rifle come from?, shelter details, camp life day to day on a solo, but I guess it wasnt really a solo.... lots of details I would like to see were missing from a " solo survival" video. Just sayin...

Dr. Hood, if I'm understanding it right, seems to have learned a lot of his Survival knowledge from the military, and now he's marketing it. Nothing wrong with makin' some green, just wonderin' how many more videos the guy can think up?:rolleyes:

Sarge47
09-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Don't think I could carry all that stuff in a Jeep.

...Check around his web-site and check out that Hummer he's got. Teaching Survival seems to pay pretty good.:D

survivalhike
09-13-2007, 03:01 PM
The common choice for a recovery vehicle (the one that pulls stuck 4-wheelers out of ditches and other hazards) has predominately been a Jeep. The only Hummer I would ever buy is an H1 militart style Hummer, never an H2 or H3. I own a Wrangler now because the $100,000 price tag on an H1 is a bit out of my price range.

And yes, survival must pay pretty well.

Fog_Harbor
09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
The common choice for a recovery vehicle (the one that pulls stuck 4-wheelers out of ditches and other hazards) has predominately been a Jeep. The only Hummer I would ever buy is an H1 militart style Hummer, never an H2 or H3. I own a Wrangler now because the $100,000 price tag on an H1 is a bit out of my price range.

I hear Tom Brown has a Hummer too. I agree with ya - The Hummer is a rich man's toy, and you rarely see them any further off road than climbing a curb to park. I have a Jeep Cherokee that I'm driving/rebuilding now, and when I'm done it'll go any place a hummer can go, and cost about $75.000 less. And i still won''t pack all that crap in it!

BillHay
09-15-2007, 12:21 AM

One day this old guy in a FORD pick-up told me what JEEP stood for. "Junk Each & Every Peice!"
just sayin..

survivalhike
09-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Everyone has their opinion I know...I just happen to be a Jeep man, not all of you can be perfect like me. LOL

I wanted to make a joke about Ford's but my father has an Expedition that has 250,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. I'm fresh out of smart arse comments...sorry.