PDA

View Full Version : Fishing gear

woodlander1314
12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
My apologies for not posting more threads, I have been extremely busy with school and all that.

I used to be a pretty frequent fisherman but we had gotten rid of all our gear when we moved about 3 years ago. But now that I am older and I will be able to go to the river more often, however, I need new gear and since I have been out of the loop for some time I was wondering if any of the more seasoned fishermen had any recommendations about their current rod and fishing set up. Thanks in advance, Tom the Ghillieman.

MCBushbaby
12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Survival and compact, or recreational and full-size?
There's always the pocket fisherman for pan fish, or you can't go wrong with any light rod from Cabellas paired and your choice of bail.

woodlander1314
12-23-2008, 12:46 PM
more of a full size, I fish walleye and pike on the wisconsin river, I probably should have mentioned that. Those guys will break a pocket rod in seconds.

crashdive123
12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Many people have their favorite rod/reel combination just as they have their favorite knife. Me, I'd hit the garage sales and find an "experienced" one that feels comfortable.

FVR
12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I'd really like to help ya, but my trout fishing pole now, is the same one I had when I was 14. I'm 45 now, replaced the eyes a few times. It's a Shakespear Ugly Stick, the old fiberglass wrapped one. The new ones are made of graphite, they will probably last, forever.LOL.

MCBushbaby
12-23-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/ssubcat-1/cat601359.shtml

I doubt you can go wrong with any of these. I had a cheap Wal-Mart combo since I was
young and it's still going strong.

Pflueger is a very good brand. (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_119154&id=0029731119156a) Some of their reels alone go for over $100.

Jericho117
12-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I do a great deal of bowfishing. Handline is simple and fun, and you don't need a rod and reel, caught a Smallmouth Bass with just handline (posting that picture up soon in albums). But bamboo fishing rods are great and feel pure and traditional. Eagles Claw makes good equipment but they make the best hooks and line for panfish and such.

chiggersngrits
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
i really like shimano spinning reels. you can't go wrong with a sedona with front drag. its one of the less expensive "S" named models around $40. Spinning rods are a lot more versatile than casting gear. 0ne piece rods are the most sensitive but modern 2 piece graphite rods are pretty darn good and easier to transport. i always try to go with the lightest setup possible. you can get decent rods at wally world just check them out good before you buy. look at the windings around the eyes and check to make sure the handle is securely attached. i like cork handles better than those soft foam ones. rod length is anouther consideration. the shorter the rod the more accurate the cast, the longer rod gives more distance. the best reel seats usually allow the reel to sit right on the rod. my favorite setup these days are a shimano sedona size 500 on a 5'6" berkley cherrywood 2 piece ultralight with a fast action and 4 lb. P-line. you can take panfish,trout and bass up to about 4lbs. with this setup. and when you hook that big'un on 4 pound test the fight is on. this would probaly work o,k, for walleye but for pike i'd think you would want a much beefer rig.

chiggersngrits
12-24-2008, 04:29 PM
The most frequent problem folks have with spinning reels is line twist. When putting line on the reel always try to put it on in the same direction it was wound on the spool. One thing I like to do after putting on new line or just to straighten out used line is to with NO lure on the line either feed a good amount out, about twice as much length as a normal cast, down stream or behind your boat and then reeling up. Keep light pressure on the line with your other hand. This allows the line to untwist in the water.
Never close the bail of your spinning reel by turning the handle and letting it pop closed. This will wear out even a good reel. I always cast, right handed, then reach to the front of the reel with my left hand, close the bail, then grab the line and pull the slack out. This helps to prevent reeling up a twist and will became second nature if you do it a few times.
Always loosen the drag up when not in use and always set and test it before you start fishing.
Check the action of the lure your using to see if it has a tendency to spin around while being retreived. This happens most often with rooster tail type spinners and some spoons. Sometimes you can bend them alittle to tune them, but if not you can use a swivel.

flandersander
12-24-2008, 05:15 PM
i bought the abu garcia stealth package. I love it. I bought some stealth spider wire (braided super line) 30 lb test, that has the diameter of 8lb mono. I can feel the smallest perch or panfish nibble, but it is effective on very large northern pike (20lbs). Great 7 bearing reel, great rod. Highly recomended.

crashdive123
01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Sarge - Move to Survival Kits & Products