PDA

View Full Version : A Book Suggestion

survivalhike
09-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't know if anyone here on the forum likes hiking as well, but there is a great book that I found called "The Complete Walker IV". It's almost 900 pages and covers everything in such detail that sometimes you'll find yourself skipping stuff. It's known in hiking circles as the "Bible of Hiking." I'm about a hunderd pages into it so far and it's fantastic. It has some moderate survival stuff in it...mostly to the effect of building quick shelters, and tips for a more Spatran load of supplies than I normally carry. I'm definately a maximalist as far as bringing everything but the kitchen sink, but this book helps pare down your goodies into nothing but functional items.

Sarge47
09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't know if anyone here on the forum likes hiking as well, but there is a great book that I found called "The Complete Walker IV". It's almost 900 pages and covers everything in such detail that sometimes you'll find yourself skipping stuff. It's known in hiking circles as the "Bible of Hiking." I'm about a hunderd pages into it so far and it's fantastic. It has some moderate survival stuff in it...mostly to the effect of building quick shelters, and tips for a more Spatran load of supplies than I normally carry. I'm definately a maximalist as far as bringing everything but the kitchen sink, but this book helps pare down your goodies into nothing but functional items.

Had that book for the last 6 years. Colin Fletcher's story is quite amazing actually.:cool:

Sarge47
09-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Colin Fletcher has written several books, the best informative books are the "Complete Walker" series. He was the 1st person to ever hike the length of the Grand Canyon and wrote a book about it called "The Man Who Walked Through Time." A number of years back, right after "The Complete Walker IV" came out, Backpacker magazine did an article on him to explain his "non-appearance" over the years to their readers. Seems like Colin, at 80 years of age was out doing what he does best at 80 years of age, walking, when he was hit by a car, a story similar to Horror writer" Stephen King. He almost didn't make it and still was having problems so when he wrote TCW IV he used a co-author to help Him. Haven't heard much about him since.:confused:

survivalhike
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I heard about that. He mentions it in the beginning of the book (CW4) and talks about how it's been difficult to get back out there. I was really amazed that he was able to do trips like the grand canyon and also a 1000 mile solo trek down the california coast.

What I like is that he takes almost nothing (as far as weight) goes, and makes it out just fine. We're going on a series of small hiking and camping trips before the big trip and I'm going to be very critical of my gear and be leaving behind some of the more non-essentials. Water, Food, Shelter, and Warmth are really all one needs anyway right?

RobertRogers
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
its a classic