PDA

View Full Version : Storing a gun underground

catfish10101
12-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I found this pretty interesting. Some of you might enjoy reading it.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

Blood Groove
12-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Wow That's awsome! Thanks for the artical, it was great reading.

SARKY
12-23-2008, 12:52 AM
I've done somethig similar using a "Seal A Meal" as the bags are actually just tubes of plastic that you seal one end, cut to length, fill with whatever then pull a vacume and seal the other end. I used standard issue cosmoline to coat the metal and the stock. The one thing I didn't put in the PVC pipe was a set of reloading dies. The dies won't do you much good without bullets, powder and primers not to mention a press to make it all work.

Blood Groove
12-23-2008, 01:00 AM
I was thinking that same thing about the dies.

Pal334
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice, Thanks for sharing

primeelite
12-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Wow interesting read. Luckily now our incoming president is saying that he has larger things to worry about than messing with weapons and our incoming vice president owns numerous guns so looks like were safe this time around so far.

Ole WV Coot
12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Just a little reminder, things have changed and will change again. Check the knife or firearms laws in England or Australia. Today "politically correct" is in. The nice people protested and made a lot of noise in the 60s while the rest of us did their dirty work, now they run the country. This isn't political it's across the board yet they depend on folks like us to defend them. My opinion only.

chiye tanka
12-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Of wolves, sheep, and sheep dogs. Google it. I agree completely with you Coot, we aren't pretty, but when someone's bacon is in the fire, they call us and are dang happy to see us. Any other time, they don't want to know we exist.

old soldier
01-01-2009, 06:54 AM
I don't believe they said what rust preventitive oil they used, but here is the best stuff out there.. LPS 3. very expensive, about 18. per 11oz spray can with shipping.

these also work good inside of the 6" PVC pipe
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG197-0.html

first clean and coat the gun with the oil,put in the http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG197-0.html
with some oxygen absorbers then put it in the PVC and seal it up

RunsWithDeer
01-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the oil suggestion, I was wondering what to use.

Amazon
02-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you for sharing this information. I found it very helpful.
My hubby and I were just discussing this same topic yesterday.
I do believe in the times ahead it will be imperative to store
our firearms underground.

Durlaburban
02-11-2009, 04:53 PM
woah 15 years.... Thats a helluva good bit of engineering on his part.

SARKY
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
For long term storage check out this product to protect your guns ,tools, etc. it is called Fluid Film and is made from lanolin (they squeeze sheep to get it)(just kidding) it is non toxic aand is good for your skin. Don't forget to store ammo as well other wise all you have is a high tech stick/club. Also some spare parts wouldn't hurt, firing pin, springs, extra magazines, cleaning kit.

Rick
02-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I think I prefer to actually use mine. Who knows, I could die next week then who'd dig it up? This way, my kids can divide it up and keep on using it, them, whatever. Besides, I have trouble enough just remembering where my glasses are.

Beans
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
The dies won't do you much good without bullets, powder and primers not to mention a press to make it all work.you would need a Lyman hand tool. brass rods of a diameter close to the bore diameter of you weapon, powder can be fabricated. primes made from match heads.

Read the story about the American that fought again the Japanese in the Phillipines and what he used in his 03 before he could capture an Japenese weapon.

IIRC I think this is the book
Wolfert, Ira. American Guerrilla in the Philippines. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1945
We read a paperback verison in 6th grade school history in 1956, as an extra credit.

old soldier
02-12-2009, 08:08 AM
here's another idea
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_1_48/ai_80635888/pg_2?tag=content;col1

Rick
02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
That was a good article, old soldier. Thanks! I would assume similar safeguards for knives and axes could be employed if you intend to store them for any length of time.

swampmouse
02-17-2009, 01:22 AM
I am new to you all, but I did this some years ago. I worked in a factory that sealed a butt load of metal parts and I learned to use the packaging material. They had these long plastic bags that could be vacummed out and seal with a heat press, two hot metal bars. I used some vaseline that I melted down and poured on the rifles, Kar 98, Ruger 10/22 and a single shot NEF 12 ga. I used the 6" PVC pipe and 1 cap, 1 female threaded and 1 threaded cap. Guns, ammo, scopes were buried in a grave yard next to a name I would remember. I removed them 13 years later after a divorce and boiled them out and hunted with each since then. I wished I had remembered cleaning kits and solvents. Thanks for that link.

fox1
02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Because i work out of town all the time i have done the same thing but i have pistols stashed as compared to rifles. My thought was just being able to get back to my family in case TSHTF. But ive also stashed other things to help me get back home and put them in the same piece of pipe. We have them stashed at the four points of the compass from where we live so it does not matter where im at. Also let you're family know where it is stashed in case they are evacuating to come meet you. All four of them are at our pre-determined meeting place in case none of us can get back home.

LudwigVan
02-21-2009, 07:01 PM
you would need a Lyman hand tool. brass rods of a diameter close to the bore diameter of you weapon, powder can be fabricated. primes made from match heads.

Read the story about the American that fought again the Japanese in the Phillipines and what he used in his 03 before he could capture an Japenese weapon.

IIRC I think this is the book
We read a paperback verison in 6th grade school history in 1956, as an extra credit.

While that would work in a 1903 I don't know how well it would do in a modern semi-auto like the one in the article. Of course you could take the magazine out and load your bullets directly, that might work much better.

Ken
02-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't expect I'll ever do this, but this was a great post! Very informative.

RichNH
02-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Something else you might want to consider, oxygen absorption packets.
http://www.keepsafe.ca/Agelss.htm
http://www.survival-center.com/foodfaq/ff17-oxy.htm#Oxygen

endurance
02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Something that works every bit as well as the commercial oxygen absorbers is handwarmers. They both use the same form of iron, but they're a lot cheaper and available for single use, where often commercial oxygen absorbers come in five packs and you have to use them all at once.