PDA

View Full Version : 72-hour BOB Overview

MCBushbaby
12-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Found this while looking for USGI MSS reviews. From a glance it looks like a decent 72-hr kit. Maybe some of you BOB'ers want to compare/contrast?

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22427&highlight=dental+floss

I wouldn't mind stopping by his hostel for a cup of coffee. Looks cozy
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/100_4194.jpg

Kankujoe
12-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Found this while looking for USGI MSS reviews. From a glance it looks like a decent 72-hr kit. Maybe some of you BOB'ers want to compare/contrast?

Some pretty good info in this guy's thread... thanks for posting the link.

tonester
12-23-2008, 09:37 AM
very good link. lots of good info, thanks. i am currently putting a BOB together so this will help me some.

larmus
12-29-2008, 11:10 PM
thanks mitch, i think i will compare to my own hes got some good ideas there

primeelite
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Wow that guy has just about everything you can think of. It was real well thought out and he had to spend some money too getting all of that together. My pack is not that big, I am more of a minimalist and in a survival situation I don't know if you really could trek around that large of a pack with that weight and not get tired after some miles. But I guess he looks like more of an expert than me so I will trust him on that.

Beans
12-30-2008, 01:50 AM
Fire, water, shelter. My BOB weights about 12 lbs and I know I can survive with it for 72 hours, I do admit he will be more comfortable then I will. But we both will survive.

A heavy weight 1.4 Mil or heavier plastic 50 Gallon trash bag is big enought to form a water proof shelter. Tie it over some green brush and you have a portable solar still. Etc

AKOutlander
12-30-2008, 02:30 AM
Is anyone familiar with Kifaru products? The pack looks nice and the write up seems very functional. However, the hootches don't appear to be much more than a tarp and a tent pole. I understand you often have to pay for quality, but it all seems overpriced.

The gear list is great, thanks!

primeelite
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah like I said my pack isn't close to weighing that much and I could survive 72 at least on it. I think that guy should be able to survive a week at least with all he has or even be prepared for a few week stay if he can find his own food.

pgvoutdoors
12-30-2008, 10:17 AM
He's living better bugged-out than I live at home. Nice link!

pgvoutdoors
12-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I wonder if he has a Camp Toaster?
http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr2108977.html

This site is located in the UK, interesting stuff.

As of 12/30/08: $1.00 USD equals 0.6879 British pounds

SARKY
12-30-2008, 05:41 PM
The article was mostly very good, I have been using a similar system for about 10 years now. I went with the Navigator as I prefer panel load packs. It just makes it easier to get to my modules. And speaking of modules, the military has been using this system for their survival gear since before i retired from the navy. The Author obviously has more money than he knows what to do with. However I am suspect about his skills as with all the gear he has he deems it only useful for 72 hours. I've been out a week in the dead of Maine winter with way less than what he carries and was quite comfortable. I will post photos of my set up soon.

SARKY
12-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Help!!!
Can someone please tell me where I go to post a new thread? Yes I've been to FAQs and it told me to click on "post new thread" but I have yet to find where that is.

crashdive123
12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Help!!!
Can someone please tell me where I go to post a new thread? Yes I've been to FAQs and it told me to click on "post new thread" but I have yet to find where that is.

Just figure which category you want it in (General Survival, General, Emergency Preparedness, etc.) - click on that category. You will then see all of the threads posted in that category. Just above the first posted thread, on the left you will see a blue icon labled new thread - click it and away you go.