PDA

View Full Version : Blowgun bird

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I went out to hunt for some birds today.I ended up getting a mouse in one shot through the shoulder blades and pinned to the dirt. Yesterday i nicked a bird in the head and i saw the feather fly off its head but it wasnt a solid hit.

I use coathangers with paper cones taped on the end and i also use baboo skewers with paper cones.

the biggest i have taken is a pigeon with my 7 ft .50 cal blowgun

FVR
12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Are they tasty critters?

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
wich one the mouse or pigeon

the pigeon had something wrong with it because it wouldnt fly away but i shot it from 20 ft.

tsitenha
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
You were hunting for food? or just killing for sport?

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
i was putting the pigeon out of its misery

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 04:50 PM
y the heck wld i eat a sick pigeon

tsitenha
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
The mouse? From your past post a sparrow???? Talk to Sarge47 or Remy
they are a lot smarter than me, I wonder what they would say?

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
we have a billion mice...so i was just seeing wat a dart wld do to a mouse,these are wild mic so no i wouldnt eat them and it was just one

tsitenha
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Lucky the mice don't have blowguns and are curious about its affects also.

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Your honor ...... there are like a billion people in China. I just wanted to see what the bullet would do to him.....and it was just one.:mad: Oh, OK - I get it.:rolleyes: Actually, I'm in no position to comment on this, since I kill mice for a living.:D

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 05:11 PM
haha very funny...If mice were coming into ur house would u try to kill em so they wouldnt eat ur stuff..if not why

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
haha very funny...If mice were coming into ur house would u try to kill em so they wouldnt eat ur stuff..if not why

Actually, the approach I take is to rodent proof, or exclude them from a structure. The only time I kill them is when they are alread nesting inside a residential structure. Quite honestly, I've been looking into multiple catch live traps lateley to see if that is a better option. Don't know yet.

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
i do that too and when they r running by wouldnt u assume that they are setting up nest

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
No I wouldn't.

blowgunsgalore
12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
y not.... i am new to this ,so clue me in, so i no what not 2 do

tsitenha
12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
One of the live trap companies does have a multiple live trap system. A rotating wheel similar to a paddle boat is tripped and does a slight rotation when tripped to send the rodent into a holding chamber. The calls are said to lure others into the system. Look at "Haveaheart"

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Mice are naturally curious (rats are not). When you see mice running around or running by they are doing what mice do. Could be playing, could be foraging for food, could be running from a predator. Now if you are asking how do you know if mice (or any other rodent) is nesting inside a structure - it takes a reasonably thorough inspection. Look of entry points - chewed wood, grease marks around small openings, grease marks along flat surfaces. Look for deposits of urine using a black light. Look for droppings. Look for discarded piles of food. Look for disturbed insulation or other bedding material.

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
One of the live trap companies does have a multiple live trap system. A rotating wheel similar to a paddle boat is tripped and does a slight rotation when tripped to send the rodent into a holding chamber. The calls are said to lure others into the system. Look at "Haveaheart"

There are several brands on the market. Most of my customers are not willing to pay the added expense of disposal.

Ole WV Coot
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Actually, the approach I take is to rodent proof, or exclude them from a structure. The only time I kill them is when they are alread nesting inside a residential structure. Quite honestly, I've been looking into multiple catch live traps lateley to see if that is a better option. Don't know yet.

Just wondering if the mouse population is getting scarce and you've taken to trapping them alive to turn loose in another neighborhood. Kinda like job security, well sort of.:eek: Saw a nice one out by the woodpile if you need one for stud service I can maybe catch him for you.:D

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Just wondering if the mouse population is getting scarce and you've taken to trapping them alive to turn loose in another neighborhood. Kinda like job security, well sort of.:eek: Saw a nice one out by the woodpile if you need one for stud service I can maybe catch him for you.:D

Now there's a thought. I like the way you think.

backtobasics
12-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I personally see nothing wrong with killing mice around ones home. I've killed several around my place. Also had a few cats to take care of them when we lived in the desert. In the wild I would never kill just to kill tho, not even mice.

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Blowgunsgalore - From your posts you say that you are 14 and appear to have a keen interest in hunting and trapping. That's cool. You got the questions you did because many believe that you should not kill an animal in the wild unless you plan on using it. If it's just a matter of you wanting to practice, make up some targets. Glad you are here and are asking questions.

FVR
12-23-2008, 01:09 AM
At 14 years old, you are in the killing stage, it's natural. As you get older, you will go through phases in hunting.

If you are lucky, you may oneday get to where I and many here are, a point at which killing is not so much fun if it was ever fun. For me, it's never been fun. It was a means to eat meat.

Around the house, yes, I have put out traps and killed the critters that got into the attic, then I found out where they were coming in and sealed it shut.

Around the house, if I see a copperhead or rattler, it's dead because I have children and they would be at risk. In the field, I just leave them alone, let them be. I've even gotten to the point where at home, I will kill the black widows, but at work in the vaults, I bang on the lid, they hide, I keep my eye out and work around them.

Scorpions, die........I hate scorpions as my wife is allergic to them.

Every critter has a purpose, to needlesly kill them, I can not justify. I had to kill the big ol hampster that got out and had it's back broken by the dog about a month back. I've killed on many many rabbits by just twisting their necks and that was it. This was the hardest twist, why, I don't know. I could really give a crap about the undersized rat, but the fact that all I had to do was twist, and it died.

Ole WV Coot
12-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Frank is right, I don't hunt much anymore. I enjoy the stalk and the chance to practice, but if I don't need the meat or snakes around the house I leave them alone. The killing was a new experience when I was a kid but just knowing I can is enough now.

Styric
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
To be honest killing is an emotional trauma every time for me.

Chris
03-05-2009, 12:32 PM
For the record, anytime someone wants to come to my house to kill mice, voles, and moles. They're welcome. I will even cook said person dinner if they meet success.

Bastards won't stop messing with my garden.

And snakes... well ya, poisonous ones around the house have to go, but I will take non-poisonous ones and bring them to my yard. Why? They eat mice, and voles, and moles. Snakes == good. Rodents == bad.

Rick
03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Looks to me like Rodents need a better PR team. Rodents == bad. They need something catchy like, "Where's the Cheese?" or "Got Cheese?" or maybe even, "Yo Quiero Rats and Mice".

crashdive123
03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Somebody (don't remember who) had as their sig something like:

Squirrels have better pr. Afterall, it's just a rat with a furry tail.

hoosierarcher
03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
you can roast a mouse with the skin and hair on and serve it on toast. You can eat it bones and all. That ios how they did it in England in the 18th Century. For other mouse recipes see the film "Never Cry Wolf" starring Charles Martin Smith.

Styric
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
For other mouse recipes see the film "Never Cry Wolf" starring Charles Martin Smith.

Awesome movie!

blowgunsgalore
03-05-2009, 10:48 PM
of course cuz they rnt doing anything wrong

Ranger andy
03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
this is funny

erunkiswldrnssurvival
03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Are they tasty critters?

Ghetto chicken, is quite tasty (even for a poor man) yes i like em fine those little orange footed fryers ,,mmm,mmm,mmm

swampmouse
03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I see no problem trying one on a mouse. Of course a swampmouse might be inclined to tube one up. LOL! Of course we should be aware that a mouse would be a snack if you were surviving a crash or SHTF scenerio. Probably taste like squirrel, it's cousin.

Rick
03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
you can roast a mouse with the skin and hair on and serve it on toast. You can eat it bones and all. That ios how they did it in England in the 18th Century. For other mouse recipes see the film "Never Cry Wolf" starring Charles Martin Smith.

Uh, no thanks.

Ranger andy
03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
come on try it lol

bulrush
03-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Both mice and rats are disease vectors, but not every mice or rat carries disease. Even some mice in the southwest US carry the hanta virus. It's a hemorragic fever which causes you to bleed from every orifice, even ones you didn't know you had.

Everyone has their opinion about mice and rats. Rats also can carry fleas, which carried the Black Plague from the middle ages (aka Bubonic Plage, Black Death). The Black Plague has popped up several times but the really bad one which killed 30% of Europe popped up in the Middle ages.

In the early 1900s mice would get into peoples' cupboards. Their urine and feces carries disease causing bacteria. This is why your grandma got in the habit of carefully wiping off cans of food before opening them.

Did you know mouse urine will glow under UV light? That's how you find their runways. I didn't believe it until I tried it. It's a faint glow, and grows more faint with time, but it does work.

crashdive123
03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Did you know mouse urine will glow under UV light? That's how you find their runways. I didn't believe it until I tried it. It's a faint glow, and grows more faint with time, but it does work.All urine will glow under a black light. (as will some other bodily fluids) The more powerful the light, the better it will show up. When I teach classes on rodent trapping I demonstrate this by taking the class into the restroom, turn the lights out, turn on the black light. Some people probably can't aim a rifle either.

Rick
03-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Well, a bit more instruction would have been helpful. After a rather shocking experience I'm going to make the assumption you don't actually have to pee on the light to get the urine to glow.

crashdive123
03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
You are correct sir. Dried urine shows up best under a black light. Wet...not so much.

SnipAR-10
03-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Wonder what the opinion is here regarding my miniature figure-four dead-fall trap in my living room for field mice. (I live in the country and no I don't intend to eat them. I've just watched Survivorman a few too many times)

About the black light in the bathroom thing... From the smell of some of the city bathrooms I've been to in the past, I think the entire room would just glow. I don't really think I'd like to try that. Most people open the door with their feet, close the door with their feet, raise the ring with their feet, flush with their feet. (get the pattern?) Some people would probably try to pee using their feet somehow. I can honestly say that for parts of our bodies to be seen as "dirty" are in reality more clean than our surroundings. Don't think about the fact that office phones have more bacteria than the average toilet seat. Read that in the newspaper a while back. Eeayyychh. Ok no more ranting.