PDA

View Full Version : Anticipate Sleet

MCBushbaby
12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
When packing for camping, hiking or your BOB, always prepare for sleet or freezing rain. We had a warming period during the middle of a Massachusetts "snowstorm" (storm... laughable... but that's subjective) and while shoveling for an hour I was completely soaked through. I had on a standard Columbia winter jacket with fleece liner, neither of which were rated "waterproof". In below freezing temps this jacket works fine, but when it's almost raining out, no sir! Just a bit of FYI when you plan for your winter equipment that, yes, you may find yourself soaked through in the middle of February out in the bush... and it'll be your own damn fault for not preparing.

Expect the unexpected

Sarge47
12-22-2008, 03:38 PM
My town here is recovering from a really bad ice storm that hit us last Thursday night. Trees, Cable, & electricity all are/have been affected. Some folks are still without power & their homes are registering about 19 degrees right now!:eek: Repair crews & tree trimmers are rushing around doing the best they can. Ironically, where we live, our power usually goes out with the slightest breeze, yet we were unaffected by it. Some of the streets are still nasty, though; & I had some trouble starting the car. We were prepared, however, with all of our emergency supplies, which, as it turns out, we didn't need, thank goodness! Still, I wouldn't have wanted to try & be out in the crap that we had; with wind chill it was around -25 degrees. Warming up to about 14 above today!:D:cool: