PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting winter "Japonese Knot Weed Seeds"

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Do you recognize the powerful food value of Knot weed seed? did you know that the seeds hang onto to the stalk until spring rain drives them to the ground? best when roasted and ground, the seed makes a great forest food stuff that waits to be collected. the asparagas like spring shoots are awsome but the seed stocks are a winter staple

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
One thing that I would like to add is that the tall stalks keep the seeds up off of the ground. even rain in winter dries quickly off of them so that they "preserve" for spring germination. they tend to stay "fresh".

Ole WV Coot
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
New one on me, never saw it before. The pics and description are plain enough, it being an invasive plant I couldn't locate it for this area. Know if it grows in S WV or not?

wareagle69
12-21-2008, 10:30 PM
i found a vine spreading quite heavily thru my property this summer looks allot like knotweed but i know it is not(no pun) because does not have the bamboo like shoot i am drawing a blank but i do know i do not have anyknotweed learned aloot about it tho tring to figure out what i do have thats what i like about this field the research in finding the proper id

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-22-2008, 08:40 AM
New one on me, never saw it before. The pics and description are plain enough, it being an invasive plant I couldn't locate it for this area. Know if it grows in S WV or not?

It grows there, I used to gather it near Cates Cove.

Ole WV Coot
12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
It grows there, I used to gather it near Cates Cove.

I will look again this spring. Nothing close familiar to me or a few I showed the pics. Good to know and thanks again.