PDA

View Full Version : If your sick its your friend

adalel
12-20-2008, 02:13 AM
What herb is good for colds or sore throats?

It has several common names: fuzzy guzzy, sweet everlasting, old field balsam, catfoot, or as I have known it most of my life as rabbit tobacco. It can be chewed and juices swallowed or made into a tea for sore throat. Smoking will help with sinus or chest colds. Right now in the Winter it has narrow long leaves that are grey on one side and dark brown on the other. If you compress the leaves in your hand they don't crumble apart but compress into a ball. The plant grows between one foot to 2 and a half feet tall. I have found that it likes to grow out in the open near yellow/orange sage grass and young cedar trees. The tops of this plant are pearly colored with dried up flowers now. Harvest only the leaves because I know of no other uses for the rest of the plant except for kindling.

crashdive123
12-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Is this http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/balwhi08.html the plant you are talking about?

adalel
12-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Crash I think you just came up with a few other names in that description but that would be it.
Here is another site to find out what a plant looks like and where located as long as you know its name.
http://plants.usda.gov/index.html

Ole WV Coot
12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
We called it Indian tobacco and life everlasting. We chewed it and mostly smoked it rolled in a piece of brown paper bag. Won't kill you or I would have been gone over 50 yrs ago.

adalel
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Ole Coot I was wondering when you would post in one of my threads? Your insights have taught me alot. By the way I've already flattered Wareagle and crash so maybe you were next in line.

Ole WV Coot
12-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Crash & WE are truly whales among minnows and can teach you a lot, but thanks for the vote of confidence it makes a grand total of.....1 not counting mine.

justin_baker
04-07-2010, 03:00 AM
California bay leaves, holy crap they are powerful in curing numerous things, from headaches to stomach issues.