PDA

View Full Version : Pucker up persimmons

Nomad
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Anybody like to eat persimmons? I tried one the other day and it was so tart it made my butt pucker up LOL.... Is there a certain time to pick & eat em or way to prep them?

Tony uk
09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Ive never heard of them, what are they ?

WildGoth
09-11-2007, 05:44 PM
a chinese fruit or something i heard about them once i also think they grow them also in japan and other asain countrys

Fog_Harbor
09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
They have persimmons in the south too, don't they?

FVR
09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Couple more weeks for persimmons and muscadines. I must admit, I have been known to put off deerhunting for an hour just to sit down and chow down on both persimmons and muscadines.

Then I fill my pockets up and go on my way.

Nomad
09-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Persimmons are a fruit tree that grows wild in the south U.S and other places. I see that FVR knows about em. I've passed them by for years for some reason. Does the tartness go away when ripe???

FVR
09-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Actually it'll probably be a month for the persimons, the muscadines should be in about two weeks.

Hmmm, can't wait.

Both get sweeeeet............hmmm. They also make a good cover up scent, put a few in your pockets and smash'm up.

Muscadine wine, maybe I'll make some this year.

"Old dogs and children, and muscadine wine"

nell67
09-12-2007, 05:27 AM
persimmons are very sweet when ripe and they are great eaten raw or used to make breads and puddings,in our area you can make some very good money selling persimmon pulp or making the breads or pudding to sell,persimmon pudding is a fall favorite around here.

saiga7
09-30-2007, 01:26 AM
the pointy, eydrop shaped ones needs to be fully riped before you can eat them. or they'll be sappy and tart beyond unbearable. very red, soft and mushy is when it's good to eat and will be very sweet.

the flatter and smaller type, can be eaten hard (less sweet) or left to ripe. i didn't know they grew wild in the South. they are expensive as hell. about $1 each and Asians eat them by the cases.

nell67
09-30-2007, 01:43 AM
I live in the mid region and they grow wild here also.

FVR
09-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Last Friday an old Viet. Vet gave me a gal. of muscadine cider, a gal. of wild grape cider, and a mess of Ga. wild grapes.

Yummy.