PDA

View Full Version : Survival schools

Nomad
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering has anyone here attended a wilderness survival school. If so,what was like? I've always wanted to go to Tom brown Jr's school.

Fog_Harbor
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Mixed bag of opinions on Tom Brown, but there usually is on any subject. I have never been to a school, but got a bit of training here and there, and taught myself the rest.

Schools tend to be EXTREMELY expensive, but many will finance, or grant scholarships. There are also programs that have year long intensive programs that deal with general wilderness living.

RobertRogers
09-14-2007, 09:43 PM
the net is the best WSS I have ever seen

steve2
09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I've been tom Browns Standard Class. I went in 1985. I do recommend this
school as Brown appeared to be one of the most knowledgeable wilderness
skills teachers there are. The class is expensive, but you get tons of info the
you can learn from for years. The school is well run and there are some very good instructers there. I have mixed feeling about Brown too, but the
info I got there had been very valuable to me.

wareagle69
09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
as with anything in life if you learn something then you win are the schools a bit expensive maybe but how much does a funeral cost nowadays?

glocker36
09-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Last Spring, I spent 3 days with Tom Laskowski, owner of Midwest Native Skills Institute. When I started, I had done some camping, but that was about it.

Over the 3 days, we learned all of the basics, shelter, fire, water and food. I was impressed with his approach, which took all of the skills and broke them down into components and taught them so that it was almost impossibld to fail.

Everyone go fire from a bow drill which was amazing in and of itself. Also, once you got the nack for the technique, you could substitute semi or totally primitive materials, so the challenge was there no matter what your experience level was.

Eveyone had a great time and Tom definitely showed his level of knowlege was impressive and even better, he showed that he has a gift for sharing that knowlege in an easy going, non threatening way. This was a survival class you could take you kids or wife to.

He also offers more advanced classes, but this was an excellent intro. As an instructor myself, Tom's high level of preparation for his presentations was apparent from the start. I can't recommend him highly enough.

http://www.*************.com/

Also, at the rates that he charges, I believe it is one of the best values out there.