PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening knives

bulrush
12-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I had to touch up my daily pocket knife, so I decided to use some cheap 300 grit sand paper. I simply placed it on a flat surface, and it took no more than 20 strokes, and worked like a charm.

So, for portability, I'd like to epoxy some 300 grit paper to a piece of plastic, about 3x2 inches and take it camping with me. This solution worked out very well for me, it's portable and light and very effective. Just don't get it wet, the paper will probably dissolve.

If you want higher grit paper, they don't sell it with the other sandpaper in the Meijer tool section. They have 600 and 1200 grit in the automotive section at Meijer.

As for using stones to sharpen knives, I no longer like using oil with my stones and will be using water from now on. Oil tends to lock the tiny metal particles into the pores of the stone, making the stone ineffective. I've cleaned an oil stone with a wire brush, but the brush destroys the surface and makes it bumpy.

Runs With Beer
12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
I had to touch up my daily pocket knife, so I decided to use some cheap 300 grit sand paper. I simply placed it on a flat surface, and it took no more than 20 strokes, and worked like a charm.

So, for portability, I'd like to epoxy some 300 grit paper to a piece of plastic, about 3x2 inches and take it camping with me. This solution worked out very well for me, it's portable and light and very effective. Just don't get it wet, the paper will probably dissolve.

If you want higher grit paper, they don't sell it with the other sandpaper in the Meijer tool section. They have 600 and 1200 grit in the automotive section at Meijer.

As for using stones to sharpen knives, I no longer like using oil with my stones and will be using water from now on. Oil tends to lock the tiny metal particles into the pores of the stone, making the stone ineffective. I've cleaned an oil stone with a wire brush, but the brush destroys the surface and makes it bumpy.
You can buy waterproof sanding disks made by 3M that are made for Fiber Optic Polising Comes on a plastic backing, Works great.

tsitenha
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Try using a diamond lap (folding) I use one now works real well and you can get the grit size you want.

pgvoutdoors
12-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I've used (wet/dry) emery cloth on occasion. It's made to to get wet and you can get it in a fine grit. In the field I use a small diamond stone. Works well and cleans easily.

canid
12-18-2008, 04:38 PM
i've got a good [and cheap] tungsten carbide sharpener that suits me well, but i use very fine abrasive paper to clear my non stainless blades and tools, and have noticed that it makes a fine strop for quick touch-ups. it gives essentially micro-serrations which don't hold up long, but slice like nothing else. good when cutting rope.

crashdive123
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Sarge - Move to Survival Kits & Products

flandersander
01-02-2009, 11:09 PM
So I got the lanski sharpening system for christmas (santa) and can't exactly get the edge I want. I put it on the angle I want (20 dagrees) and slowly move up in grits (coarse to ultra fine) and can't get a long lasting edge. Can anybody help me? I'm pretty sure its that famous false edgeor whatever its called that breaks off right away, but I sharpen and sharpen and it never seems to get any better. help?

swampmouse
02-17-2009, 02:16 AM
I use a car window edge. Roll down window about 3/4 way down and will function in an emergency.