PDA

View Full Version : Duct Tape storage?

jbone
12-18-2008, 05:19 AM
I did a search but I couldnt find anything that really answered my question. (Although I may have missed it:o)

I was wondering how everyone here that keeps duct tape in their packs stores it?

Do you bring an entire roll, or only some if it?

If only some how much do you take?

Do you keep it folded up, or on the roll, etc.?

Im just looking for an easier more compact way to store duct tape. Thanks!

Sam
12-18-2008, 06:08 AM
I did a search but I couldnt find anything that really answered my question. (Although I may have missed it:o)

I was wondering how everyone here that keeps duct tape in their packs stores it?

If you want to google camping/duct tape or outdoor survival gear you will find small rolls for back packing. or just use an old credit card and wrap it on that.
-Sam

Pal334
12-18-2008, 06:49 AM

I guess you could call me a lazy duck when it comes to Duct tape. I always keep a small (partially used) roll in my ready gear (back pack or vest) and another in my stowed gear (full roll if space is not an issue). I just throw it in and deal with the sand, dirt and leaves that stick to it. Duct tapes contribution to modern society is only rivaled by sliced bread:D . I too will be interested in how other folks handle this sticky issue;).

crashdive123
12-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Jbone - I store it in several ways. In my supplies at home it is on the rolls untill needed. In the stuff I carry with me into the woods I store it by wrapping it around stuff. Some of the things that I have wrapped are my water bottles, my homemade hacksaw blade knives, pens. misc other items. I've got a busy day planned, but I snap a picture and post it when I get a chance to make it a bit easier to "visualize".

Sarge47
12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Jbone - I store it in several ways. In my supplies at home it is on the rolls untill needed. In the stuff I carry with me into the woods I store it by wrapping it around stuff. Some of the things that I have wrapped are my water bottles, my homemade hacksaw blade knives, pens. misc other items. I've got a busy day planned, but I snap a picture and post it when I get a chance to make it a bit easier to "visualize".
In Cody Lundin's book: "98.6 Degrees..." I learned how he wrapped it around water bottles, his mini-mag lite, etc, so that's what I do.:cool:

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I have a 32oz plastic bottle I use for my alcohol stove fuel and I wrap a good 20ft or so around that. Doesn't add too much bulk. Alternatively if you don't want the full width strip, cut it lengthwise into quarters and then wrap and get about 4x as much for the same bulk. The credit card wrap is also pretty standard. Just wrap it around anything, really.

crashdive123
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
The pic shows three different rolls of Gorilla/Duck/Duct tape. On the left is a flashlight (the kind you shake) with about 4 feet of tape. Moving to the right are two hacksaw blade knives with about 1.5 feet of tape for scales that can be easily removed. The little silver rectangle is 6 feet of tape just rolled up on itself. Next is a Sharpie marker with 2 feet of tape. Finally is a water bottle with about 15 feet of tape and 7 feet of para cord. For any of these, if you want more tape, just keep wrapping.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Tape.jpg

Pal334
12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Crash::: thanks for that visual. I had never even considered doing those things to more conviently care the duct tape! I can imagine how much hassle I could have saved myself over the years. You can bet I will use the idea in the future. :D .

crashdive123
12-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Glad it was helpful. Anything you want to wrap can become storage. I've also got a paper sleeve for a signal mirror wrapped (too lazy to dig it out). You can wrap hiking poles, pack frame, knife sheath....really only limited by your imagination.

RangerXanatos
12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Though I've never done it, I've heard of people placing strips on their clothing like on their shoes, jackets, and hats. Need a strip? Just pull it off. Perhaps it also works as a light reflector when light hits it, so runners wear it like this as well.

Pal334
12-18-2008, 04:56 PM
There you go. I "got some learnin" today. :)

rebel
12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I have some around a Bic lighter.

Stairman
12-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Crash,great idea!Ill be wrapping my coffee can with duct tape today.Maybe someday Ill learn to put pictures up myself.

Stairman
12-19-2008, 12:08 PM
After thinging about my last post Ill wrap something else.I use the can for cooking.Dah!

reluctantpawn
12-19-2008, 01:30 PM
My GI canteen cup. It helps keep the rattle down. I Think most people just unwrap and then rewrap. My question might be just how long will it last in these conditions?

reluctantpawn

Leighman
12-20-2008, 03:14 PM
As for re-wrapping duct tape, I've never experimented with "how long" it remains usable. I think a lot would be dependent on weather conditions.

As with paracord I consider duct tape to be somewhat disposable.

My own on-body PSK consists of only 12-15 feet of the sticky stuff and a 50 foot hank of paracord (both orange for easy ID).

If outdoors "on purpose" (camping/hunting/fishing/etc) I bring along extra amounts of each.

SARKY
12-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Like Crasdive said just wrap it around things you already have in your kit. As to how much.....How much do you think you will need.... then double it. Crash, that truly is some ugly orange stuff! As for 550/parachute cord, I usually carry 100 feet minimum as I use it for everything from shelter building to snares to making gill nets etc.
The one problem I found when I was stationed in Maine (winter time) was that Duct tape would dry out and become brittle in the cold dry weather. In the really hot weather (desert) the adhesive would become smooshy (techical term) and although it would stick to what ever you put it on, you could move it around on that surface.