PDA

View Full Version : Select my next sleeping system

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 02:44 AM
PICK:

USMC Modular Sleeping System or Snugpak Elite 5 + bivvy?

=================================================
Details
=================================================

I have a tendancy to review and read and compare and review and compare wayyy too much before I buy something. Heck, I spent 10 full hours reading up on army canteens and I still haven't purchased because- (not getting into rant).

Ok, so some of you are ex-military... some are foreign... but all of you have experience. Pick me my next sleeping bag:

Patterns of use: 4-season, from 60F down to -20F
Price range: <$200 (don't let this affect your opinion, I can get cheap on ebay)
Weight: <9lbs for extreme winter
Pack Size: as small as possible
Geography: frozen fields, deep snow, wet swamps, torrential rains, dry forests, clammy lakesides, windy plains, ... everywhere except Antarctica and Mt. Everest.

I was looking at the USMC MSS (module sleeping system) for a good while but always held off because of the weight (9ish altogether). Don't get me wrong, it gets perfect reviews (not counting weight and pack size) and comfortably works down to -4, which was the coldest review I could find. Then I found an army blog where a 1SG had a Snugpak Elite 5 that was supposedly warmer than anything else (civilian, US MSS, etc). I hear the USMC MSS bivvy is godlike and worth the full MSS price by itself.

I can get the authentic 4-pc MSS for around $200 on ebay. I can get the Snugpak Elite 5 for about the same but doesn't come with a waterproof bivy (which would be great in winter). I can get the MSS bivvy separate for about $50 if I choose the Snugpak... or snugpak makes a bivvy too although I don't know how it rates.

The MSS weights in at around 9lbs ( sometimes hear 7.5 or 8) including bivvy and stuff sac. The Snugpak is 5.3lbs without bivvy (I don't know if that includes stuff sac). With Snugpack bivvy (+.75lb), or with MSS bivvy (~+2lb). MSS packs down to 30x14". Snugpack does 10.2x10.2" (What a difference!) without bivvy. MSS is rated to -40F for 4 hours (military-tested and rated). Elite 5 goes to -15/-20F (I don't know who tests it).

A few things I thing the MSS has over any other sleeping system is A) modular, so I can use only one bag in summer or the whole mess during winter; B) the three pieces button together and can be stored pre-assembled... thus allowing me to simply unroll and crawl in without muss and fuss; and C) military tested and proven. But I keep hearing awesome things about the Elite 5 so, yea, still undecided.

*whew* You see how I do too much thinking? I'll let the opinions roll now.

RBB
12-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Bought myself a North Face minus 40 bag a few years ago. Slept out in minus 30 temps and couldn't stay inside the thing. Too hot. Now, for cold weather, I use a down comforter (like your wife buys for the bed) sewn to a Hudson Bay blanket. Makes for a big roll, but no larger than the Minus 40 bag - which my wife now uses on summer camping trips.

Nice thing about the comforter, if you're too hot, you can kick off part of it. If you are cold, you can wrap it all around you. Much more comfortable than any sleeping bag I've ever used.

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Is that the Dark Star? I was looking at that but I couldn't find one for less than $400 which is out of my price range considering I'd need a bivvy for it as well.

Sourdough
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Does North Face still make the "Rageing Inferno" bag.......?

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Can't even get a google hit for that name except your post on this forum. Sure that's the name?

chiye tanka
12-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Mitch, I spent a lot of time in the White Mnts. when I lived up there. I used then and still do now, Mountain Hardwear. Check out there Phantom line of bags, they stay warmer then their rating says.

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Well again, unless I can get the bag AND bivvy for less than $200ish I'm going to pass it up. That rules out any civilian down bag under 35F and any top-of-the-line synthetics. I wish I could get these but it's just out of range right now.

But let's look at the MSS vs. Elite 5. Should I get the MSS or the Elite 5 and get a bivvy? And then which bivvy - snugpak or MSS? Both systems (including bivvy) can be had for under $200 so it really comes down to quality, weight, warmth, and reviews.

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Alright, I'm hoping on the new MSS authentic USMC unless someone tells me no within one minute.

crashdive123
12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
No!

just kidding.

tsitenha
12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
minutes over go.........................

I got the wife and I a Woods Fairbanks 9.5 rated -45 works real well

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Well that feels better. :)
$165 for the whole system including shipping. Now I can winter camp in a bivvy rather than worrying how to stake my Tarptent Contrail. ha! I'll post a review as soon as I get/use it.

tsitenha
12-18-2008, 03:46 PM
good for you :D

crashdive123
12-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Looking forward to the review. Wasn't your last one the rain suit in the shower?:D

DOGMAN
12-18-2008, 03:58 PM
The ultimate extreme cold weather bed roll, in my opinion is a Wiggys Antarctic, comfort rated to -60. Used in conjuction with an OR gore-tex bivy, and a Paco Pad
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=9&CFID=4574852&CFTOKEN=91911692
http://www.jpwinc.com/index.php?page=photo&photo_id=83
http://www.kayakacademy.com/catalog/ORAdvBivy.html

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Looking forward to the review. Wasn't your last one the rain suit in the shower?:D

Hahahah, oh man, still laughing out loud! Yes, yes it was.
For those who didn't catch this, I went to Goodwill back when and picked up a cheap rain jacket for like $2. It was silnyl so I figured I'd try out the waterproofing by putting it on over a white longsleeve Tshirt, jump in the shower, and power on the blasting! And yes, it was completely rainproof in that downpour (except the zipper which let water through like an open door).

Rest assured I will not be putting this bag in the tub and filling 'er up.

MCBushbaby
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Just received my MSS, all Tennier Industries (authentic), and so far looks pretty good. Since I am a gram-weenie in the summer, this 9-lb system is causing skepticism, but wow is it made to last! I'll give it the field test tonight or tomorrow and make a new thread. Until then my only concern is the triple zipper which already caused me some grief in the hallway trial.

AKOutlander
12-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Can't comment on the Snugpak and this may be a moot point seeing that you already purchased it, but the MSS is very warm. I have used it in very cold environments (Greenland, Iceland, and Norway). It's bulky, but you will get a good nights rest once you're there.

Alpine_Sapper
12-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Well again, unless I can get the bag AND bivvy for less than $200ish I'm going to pass it up. That rules out any civilian down bag under 35F and any top-of-the-line synthetics. I wish I could get these but it's just out of range right now.

But let's look at the MSS vs. Elite 5. Should I get the MSS or the Elite 5 and get a bivvy? And then which bivvy - snugpak or MSS? Both systems (including bivvy) can be had for under $200 so it really comes down to quality, weight, warmth, and reviews.

I found a bag at academy sports for $40. Rated 0 degrees. Can't remember the namebrand atm. I took it out over the xmas holidays in >20 degree weather. I spent a good portion of the trip with the bag unzipped most of the night. I think the weight on the bag is ~6lbs.

Only issue I had is I'm 6'1, and the bag was about 3 inches to short. So the wife got a new winter sleeping bag as a late christmas present. :)