PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Survival on Meetup.com

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
There has always been interest in doing more face-to-face and less screen-to-screen but nothing really comes through. I was loath to find the great gathering folded and hope to remedy this inefficiency. Something to look at to expand our client base (sorry, talking like a consultant here) is to create a Meetup.com account. When I moved to Boston, this is how I found hiking groups in my area. You can search by area, by interest, etc. and join any number of groups. For each of these groups, you can see their upcoming events, their "wall" (a linear forum, kinda), and group members.

It costs about $72/year to create a group, so if Chris has the funds I think this would be a great addition to the site. Think about it.. if you tag the "Wilderness-Survival Wolfpack" group with bushcraft, survivalism, crafts, BOB, hiking, camping, etc., you'll be getting hits from any of the 4.7 million users searching for "hiking". It would also be an easy way to put up events.

"Hiking the Rockies" (more detailed than this, but you get the idea)

Anyone who joins our group (free to join) can RSVP to our events, even if they've never posted on these forums. Maybe someone isn't hardcore into survival but wouldn't mind learning how to make a fire drill on one of our "tutorial hikes".

Let me, or Chris, know what you think of this.

------------OVERVIEW------------

Meetup client base : 4.7 million
Location : Variable, could set up two groups on different sides of NA
Renown : well known
Ages : 18ish - elderly

chiye tanka
12-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Mitch, sounds like a good idea in theory. How do we keep the trolls out?

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 01:29 PM
You mean the guys who join just to cause trouble? Well no one outside a group can view the events within so you could boot people out if they get trolly. You can also boot people if they RSVP "yes" to many events and never show. (fyi, you can switch your rsvp around until the day of the event so no worries if your plans change).

skunkkiller
12-18-2008, 06:35 PM
the sounds like a good thing .

trax
12-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Mitch, sounds like a good idea in theory. How do we keep the trolls out?

Why young man you simply purchase the Trollinator 2000, now for only four easy installments of $29.95 and one rather painful installment of $4000. you can own this troll tracking and destroying machine. It may look like an unassuming bus driver from western Illinois, but don't you be fooled. At the first sign of trolls, the Trollinator 2000 will spring into action, tracking down and eliminating those pesky little buggers once and for all. You and your friends can enjoy a troll free lifestyle and "eliminate" the stress of trolls from your lives for good. Remember, just four easy payments of $29.95 and one rather painful payment of $4000.00 and the Trollinator 2000 is yours. Act now and we'll throw in the incredible Chinee Spambot Killer, a $69.95 value, absolutely free! Just call 1-877-Trlnatr. (Trollinator, Trollinator 2000 and Chinee Spambot Killer are registerd trademarks of Sarge 47 Corp. LLC) This has been a paid infomercial, this broadcaster will not be held responsible for any damages, liabilities or rug stains caused by the above-mentioned product.

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I bought that item last year but it kept breaking; targeting girl scouts and scaring away my cookie supply. Tried to return it but it broke free of the return crate somewhere between Toledo and Detroit. Not recommended. 1 star out of 5. Return policy was excellent and included manufacture-paid shipping, and I received a free cupcake as compensation. Sprinkles.

Donated the $4000 refund to the newly founded "Girl Scouts of American Victims of Robotic Malfunctions" fund.

Chris
12-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't see the point in paying for a service like that. Nor do I think the business is bright by charging for it.

Everything that can be done with it can be done here in the forums, with access to the hundreds of millions of people who use search engines to find things.

Sarge47
12-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Why young man you simply purchase the Trollinator 2000, now for only four easy installments of $29.95 and one rather painful installment of $4000. you can own this troll tracking and destroying machine. It may look like an unassuming bus driver from western Illinois, but don't you be fooled. At the first sign of trolls, the Trollinator 2000 will spring into action, tracking down and eliminating those pesky little buggers once and for all. You and your friends can enjoy a troll free lifestyle and "eliminate" the stress of trolls from your lives for good. Remember, just four easy payments of $29.95 and one rather painful payment of $4000.00 and the Trollinator 2000 is yours. Act now and we'll throw in the incredible Chinee Spambot Killer, a $69.95 value, absolutely free! Just call 1-877-Trlnatr. (Trollinator, Trollinator 2000 and Chinee Spambot Killer are registerd trademarks of Sarge 47 Corp. LLC) This has been a paid infomercial, this broadcaster will not be held responsible for any damages, liabilities or rug stains caused by the above-mentioned product.
...and my cut is...what?:confused::rolleyes::D:cool:

MCBushbaby
12-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't see the point in paying for a service like that. Nor do I think the business is bright by charging for it.

Everything that can be done with it can be done here in the forums, with access to the hundreds of millions of people who use search engines to find things.

True, just my $0.02

StingingNettle
01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Hi, I know I'm knew here. But I also ran into this problem and I wanted to joing a survivor grout on meetup, but there wasn't one in my area. So I did the next best thing. I created a site where you can create your own survival meetup groups for free.

The website is in my sig.

I know its not really proper to pimp your own site when you first register on a message board, but it seemed to fit.

There isn't a lot of action there yet, as I just created the site within the last month. But go ahead and try and gets some folks together. I'm going to be getting a few friends together here in Seattle soon if any on here wants to join.

nell67
01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
StingingNettle,how about heading over to the intro thread and telling us a little about yourself?:)

And posting the link to your website in the body of your post in not allowed on the forum,you may however add it to your signature,which will benefit you more since it will show up with each of your posts.

StingingNettle
01-02-2009, 11:22 PM
StingingNettle,how about heading over to the intro thread and telling us a little about yourself?:)

And posting the link to your website in the body of your post in not allowed on the forum,you may however add it to your signature,which will benefit you more since it will show up with each of your posts.

ahh, sorry about that. I'll edit it out, and give myself a proper intro.

nell67
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Thank you!