PDA

View Full Version : USMC Canteen/Cup/Stove Questions

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
First off, welcome me back to the forums after spending a horrible 7 months in downtown Detroit and being completely trailless. Now I'm in Boston and hiking the mountains in Vermont! Ok now shutup, I'm asking the questions here :) ....

Thinking about consolidating my mess and hydration items into the USMC canteen kit. Also heard about the stove/windscreen that fits within the same pouch. I like this compact, fitted system but I don't like the open bottom of the stove/windscreen. I would rather it be closed like the NATO Crusader stove/windscreen so it can be used on wet ground.

Anyone know of a site that sells a closed-bottom USMS canteen cup-compatible windscreen? Specifically one that fits with the canteen/cup in the pouch. Maybe someone makes a custom one for cheap?

nell67
12-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Welcome back mitch!Since I cannot help you with your quest,I will shut up now!

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Maybe something as simple as cutting the bottom off another cup, cutting four holes in the rim and using coat hanger wire as support beams. Heck, I'm starting to convince myself to buy another cup!

Welcome back mitch!Since I cannot help you with your quest,I will shut up now!

Good to be back, let me tell ya

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Welcome back Mitch, I have what you have described with th GI canteen cup/stove stand that fits together. It fits upside down in the case buit reverse it and it inserts itself under/into the SS cup; possibly fabricate a folding/revolving base that you could also store in the canteen cover?
Similar to the MSR stand on the Dragonfly stove?

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Would that still fit into the GI pouch if it stores over the canteen?

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Mine is a trillium style? I have not tried it yet but wait a few seconds and I will

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Well here's kind of the general idea of what I want
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/StandVargo.jpg

This is the windscreen/support for the Crusader. If I could get something like this that fits the US SS cup, it'd be perfect. I wouldn't need the 'fancy' hing support wires... just some holes near the rim for loose wires or some such.

I like the bowl design because I can put an esbit or alcohol stove in there or even tinder if no stove is handy. I can set it in the snow or in a shallow puddle even. But it needs to fit in the canteen pouch along with the canteen and SS cup... that's the point of consolidation :)

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
My pouch was always tight canteen/ss cup/ss stand in its pouch, but I was able to fit it in. It won't be easy either in or out but doable. The "MSR" stand has sets of semi erect tabs that could be cut/sawed off and that would also help it in the insertion into the cover, or you could just customize your own pattern with no trouble at all.
Maybe with a slightly larger cover it would all be good?

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I think I will try to fab. one and use a rivet as the pivot point, and let the whole affair sit on that "collaspable fanning pad"

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Now for a question of my own is there SS GI pattern canteens still available?

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 01:49 PM
On the canteen itself? Not GI. You'd have to look on the third-party sites that sell 'improved' versions of GI equipment. I know you can get black and white canteen pouches but haven't seen any canteen color other than metal and polyeth olive drab. Spraypaint?

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Sorry gave wrong info, SS= Stainless Steel as what the canteen is/was made from. I have an aluminum one but would like to locate a Stainless Steel version?

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Aluminum canteens ended in 1943, after that they were stainless steel until 1960 when Vietnam's plastic canteens hit the scene. So you'd need to go on eBay and look for WWII metal canteens circa 1940-1959. eBay's been the only place I've found decently priced metal ones.

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Nyah:wen: thanks

crashdive123
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Mitch - GrayWolf posted a link (now a sticky under making stuff) that has an Esbit modification that may work for you. http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html On the left, look under stoves. Number 14 is the one I'm talking about, but as you can see, there are lots of options and ideas.

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Yea I saw that esbit page before and it does work. However I'm trying to 'cup' (for lack of a better metaphor) the heat under my steel cup so as to maximize heat buildup.. like an oven. I'd also like to be able to use the stand/windscreen as a sort of hobo stove with plant debris. This is a bit hard on the esbit stove because of its small footprint. Basically the USMC canteen windscreen but with a bottom on it. Suppose I could weld one...

I'm being picky, sorry.

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have two army canteen cups? Can you check to see if they slip onto the end of each other (like kitchen pint glasses)? I may just buy two cups and make a stand from the cutout of one if this is confirmed.

crashdive123
12-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Does anyone have two army canteen cups? Can you check to see if they slip onto the end of each other (like kitchen pint glasses)? I may just buy two cups and make a stand from the cutout of one if this is confirmed.

I've got a few. I'll dig them out tomorrow and let you know.

crashdive123
12-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Mitch - here are two of mine. They are the stainless variety with the butterfly handles. The handle seems to be what is keeping it from fitting. Maybe the older ones with the strip handles would fit together better.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Emergency%20Gear/Canteencups001.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Emergency%20Gear/Canteencups002.jpg

MCBushbaby
12-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks crash. I'm not too worried with the whole cup nesting inside one another. Rather, cut one in half (top and bottom) and using the bottom "cup" as a windscreen/support similar to a small hobo stove that can nest. So the handles wouldn't get in the way I'd hope.

SARKY
12-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I've made a stove from a canteen cup. What I did was cut the bottom off a canteen cup about a half inch up (this allows your canteen cup to fit into the up turned former canteen cup. Then remove the handles and cut out the welded/riveted section that held the handles. This is where you will feed fuel in. Lastly mark how far down your cup fit into the upturned cup/stove and drill holes around the cup on that line. now you are done and your new stove will nest in your cup and your canteen will sit in that. Wish I still had that but I gave it away to one of the other instructors when I retired. and then I found the pocket cooker stove (Sportsmans Guide).

SARKY
12-20-2008, 09:00 PM
One last thing, when you cut the section that holds the handle away, don't cut through the lip of the cup. It's easier to do this but it weakens the cup/stove. All this was done with a dremel tool and a cutoff wheel.

crashdive123
12-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Here's some plans for one. http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/triggccsm.htm

MCBushbaby
12-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Well I want to simulate the original canteen cup stove but I want a bottom on it so I don't need to worry about wet ground or the like. Exactly like the Crusader bottom but one that'll fit/nest around the USMC canteen cup for easy storage.

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Mitch - don't know if this will fit into your packaging requirements, but what about the old, pitted, nasty canteen. I know that quite a few are sold (with cup) at shows. Often the price is good just for the cup and many replace the canteen with a plastic one. Making a stove out of the canteen should work quite well.

Beans
12-23-2008, 10:49 PM
You might want to visit this site.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Cooking-Food-and-Drink/Web-tex-Warrior-Cooking-Unit.html

outbac1
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Just cruising around the net and saw this. I think it is what you are looking for.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/category309_1.htm

crashdive123
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Good link Outbac1. When you get a chance how about stopping by the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

MCBushbaby
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow good finds, both of you; exactly what I was looking for!
Crash - I'll definitely be getting a metal canteen to boot. Only reason I'd get plastic is if I don't want the sloshing (I'm not into stealth camping, so forget that!)

Gray Wolf
12-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Mitch - here are two of mine. They are the stainless variety with the butterfly handles.
Crash, they look new, where did you acquire those (if you don't mind), and did they come with the pouch case?

crashdive123
12-30-2008, 08:06 AM
I picked up those two at a gun show. They've been around for awhile, but cleaned up pretty good. They didn't come with pouches.

last one standing
12-31-2008, 02:42 AM
Mitch i was looking for a stove for my canteen cup when i saw your forum and outbac1 looks like he found what im looking for just having a problem with the 45 dollars part well 35 for all the shipping from downunder ive looked and can't seem to find a supply in US can any one help

crashdive123
12-31-2008, 08:19 AM
I haven't purchased anything from this site, so can't give a review - third item down on this page http://www.omahas.com/index.php?cPath=16_39 looks like it may be similar to the other stove posted.

Last one standing - how about heading over to the introduction section when you get a chance and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Runs With Beer
12-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Here's some plans for one. http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/triggccsm.htm

Could you burn wood in that if ness., or wanted to ?

crashdive123
12-31-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't have one, so I haven't tried it. The holes are a bit small, so airflow may become an issue.

last one standing
12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you Crashdive123 it looks like what im looking for you have been a big help

crashdive123
12-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Glad it was helpful.

outbac1
01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Try using some aluminium foil for a bottom on a regular cup stove. I carry some aluminium foil in the case for a lid anyway so another piece for the bottom isn't much to carry. In winter you need to put it on a few sticks to keep it from sinking in the snow.