PDA

View Full Version : Are you....

Sarge47
12-17-2008, 12:15 AM
....an "Arm-Chair Survivalist?" Do you see yourself drinking urine & eating animal poo just to survive, trying to emulate Bear Grylls? Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you? Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase? Do you view "SURVIVAL" as the latest EXTREME SPORT? Are you looking forward to TEOTWAWKI? Then stay the crap away from me! Homey don't play 'dat. I think a lot of people we get on here have the wrong idea about Survival. What do you all think?:cool:

doug1980
12-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Well survival to me is a concept that really isn't anything new. It's the way our ancestors lived every day. I'm not sure what the politically correct answer is but I love the outdoors and want to enjoy it instead of talking about it. And if that puts me in a situation where I'm lost or injured and have to survive than that's the risk I take. Unlike some I don't intentually go out with the sole purpose of trying to survive, but I hope to gain the knowledge and experience to be able to do just that if need be.

DOGMAN
12-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Survival to me is just the most basic thing there is in life...its natural. I figure to increase your odds for surviving its important to know and practice alot of stuff that will keep you going- when the going gets tough.
I think practicing and mastering survival skills, will make you be able to thrive in tough situations, which is one step above just "surviving"

Sometimes you can survive by just dumb luck...but to thrive you gotta have skills!

Sarge47
12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Well survival to me is a concept that really isn't anything new. It's the way our ancestors lived every day. I'm not sure what the politically correct answer is but I love the outdoors and want to enjoy it instead of talking about it. And if that puts me in a situation where I'm lost or injured and have to survive than that's the risk I take. Unlike some I don't intentually go out with the sole purpose of trying to survive, but I hope to gain the knowledge and experience to be able to do just that if need be.
That's right, Doug; Survival is taking what you know along with the "Survival mentality" & making it through a bad time. That's it! As a matter of fact, if you read a post from Rick SAR, a bona-fide Search & Rescue guy, he wrote that out of all the people they go looking for, when they find them, none had a pack with them! That means they either didn't know what they were doing in the 1st place or they panicked & dumped their pack; which happens often during panic!:cool:

SARKY
12-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Why do people buy insurance? Why do people put money away for a rainy day? Why do people learn......anything?
Just in case, just in case, and because it might be useful one day. nuff said

klkak
12-17-2008, 02:36 AM
Are you an "Arm-Chair Survivalist?" NO!

Do you see yourself drinking urine & eating animal poo just to survive, trying to emulate Bear Grylls? NO!

Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you? NO!

Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase? NO!

Do you view "SURVIVAL" as the latest EXTREME SPORT? NO!

Are you looking forward to TEOTWAWKI? NO!

Then stay the crap away from me! Homey don't play 'dat.

I think a lot of people we get on here have the wrong idea about Survival. What do you all think?

I think you are right Sarge. I wish all the folks you just described would get lost (pun intended). Let this forum focus on Wilderness Survival as the title says. With a little Bush Craft thrown in for good measure. I like the Homestead Gardening and Food Storage stuff to.

chiangmaimav
12-17-2008, 04:44 AM
I myself like camping and hiking. I like to have good equipment and good food and I don't like to have to forage for plants or eat bugs. In America I used to try to avoid being in a survival situation. Here in jungle sometimes it is unavoidable due to nature of work I do. I
I have eaten bugs when there was no alternative but I would much prefer steak. Sometimes I drank water and ate plants which made me sick. I have had various tropical diseases and parasites. I did not enjoy any of it, but I am alive because I wanted to learn things which would help me survive. I am not so young anymore and do not really want to get into extreme sports, but I learn what I can so if the situation arises, which I am sure it will, where I need this knowledge to survive, I can get a little older. The jungle people here who know as much about survival as anyone cannot understand why someone would put themselves in a survival situation if they did not have to.

Runs With Beer
12-17-2008, 07:23 AM
No pee drinking or poo eating for me, I try things I see on TV with a grain of salt, Some I can Dig some not. Have learned alot on this forum and hope to learn more, Practice makes Perfect.

Riverrat
12-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Arm chair survivalist, no, pretty sure that would not describe me. I came on this site to, hopefully, pick up some tips and tricks too help if and when I get turned around in the woods, and so far, the longest I have been turned around is three days. I live in the woods, behind my back door is 4-7 hundred hectares of woods (depends on which way I turn). I believe in being ready, if at all possible, for whatever may come. I have some food put away, I grow as much food as I can, pick what I can from nature, and I hunt and fish. This is my life, not a hobby. I like to try and make what I can, just because I love working with my hands.

As to your questions:
Do you see yourself drinking urine & eating animal poo just to survive, trying to emulate Bear Grylls? No!

Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you? No, we do not have a dryer, clothes lines are what we use.

Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase? Most of my knives are skinning knives, or handed down from my dad, his dad, and so on.

Do you view "SURVIVAL" as the latest EXTREME SPORT? Survival is a day to day issue, so answer would be no.

Are you looking forward to TEOTWAWKI? No!!!

So to answer your first question...Are you an "Arm-Chair Survivalist?" No, I don't think so.

backtobasics
12-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't think i would call what i like to do survival. I like to camp with just what i need. And i like to learn and practice some primitive living skill, but that does not mean I'll go out with no modern equiptment such as bic lighters etc... I also believe that learning these skills can only be helpful should the TSHTF or I'm stranded in the wilderness. For now its just a hobby that i find very interesting.

MCBushbaby
12-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't know Sarge, I've always been tempted to find the biggest load of bear **** and squeeze the water right outta it. Mmmmm, tasty -- that'll put hair on yer chest!

pgvoutdoors
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm an outdoorsman, always have been, always will be... I started with fishing, then camping, backpacking, and canoeing.

Wilderness survival skills have always intrigued me. The idea of being able to pull yourself out of a tough situation, utilizing what ever you had on hand, seemed like a real challenge to me as a boy. Boy Scouts nurtured that "Be Prepared" philosophy.

When I enlisted into the Marine Corps and started my advanced training, I adapted to the survival training like it was second nature. I took in everything they offered and then built on that. If any of you are going into the military and are offered survival training, Take It! I traveled the world and participated in all types of training and found it all exciting.

After ten years of service I left the Corps and opened a outfitters business. As a part of this business I offered a guiding service and wilderness skills instruction. This led me to expanding my personal wilderness skills to include primitive living skills. Some of these skills I had already learned in the Marines as well as Boy Scouts, but I wanted a deeper knowledge of them. So I took lessons where I could and read many books on the subject. The trick to my success in mastering these skills was going out and doing them. I didn't need to starve myself to give me incentive to learn primitive hunting and fishing skills. (though I have been in that situation) I would read about a fish trap, make one, and then continue working with it until I was confident on the best methods to use it.

Over the past 18 years sense I left the Marines, I have worked as a outfitter, guide, and wilderness skills instructor. I'm ever expanding my skills to serve my own interests as well as being able to better instruct my clients. I've learned to execute my skills by going out and practicing. This is not a new concept I know, but it takes effort on my part. Its easy to tell yourself that after reading a book on primitive archery, or something like that, that you know enough to do what you have to do in a pinch. I love a good book, but conceptual skills are not the same as experience. I read about a skill, then prepare the tool, and finalize by practicing.

Here's the thing about practicing, you not only learn about the fundamentals of a given skill or tool, but how to adapt it to different situations, clements, and available materials. Every time I teach a class new questions come up. Learning to adapt comes from being out there and adjusting to the variables. You can't get that through theory.

So am I an arm chair survivalist? At times yes... Did I learn my skills at the level of a professional by sitting in a chair? Absolutely not! I love the outdoors and as long as God gives me the power to get out, I will do so to the best of my ability and be thankful I can.

reluctantpawn
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Survival is being able to adapt to your environment, and come out on top. Whether it is in the Alaskan bush where some of you live, or Wall Street. It means fitting in and working with not against what is thrown at you. It can be in the country or the city. In the U.S. or some podunk little shack in Laos. It is overcoming and thriving with what you have and being able to use your mind to overcome all obstacles. It is being comfortable with who you are and where you are.

reluctantpawn

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I used to be an armchair survivalist but with getting old and every thing I can't bring the armchair with me in the bush as well as I us to. More of a stool survivalist now...not that kind of a stool...:D

Pal334
12-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Survival is being able to adapt to your environment, and come out on top. Whether it is in the Alaskan bush where some of you live, or Wall Street. It means fitting in and working with not against what is thrown at you. It can be in the country or the city. In the U.S. or some podunk little shack in Laos. It is overcoming and thriving with what you have and being able to use your mind to overcome all obstacles. It is being comfortable with who you are and where you are.

reluctantpawn

I appreciate your question Sarge, makes one think a bit (:eek: not a bad thing). I think the response that "reluctant" gave is closest to the way I think. In particular "It means fitting in and working with not against what is thrown at you" One certainly must practice and master some basic skills and have ability to use basics tools to be prepared , that instills confidence. And of course to the maximum extent possible be situationaly aware. That being said, I am certainly not one who has, ever nor will never "turn the other cheek" and this is because of confidence in myself,my level of prepardness. Perhaps I do at least partially fit the definition of "Arm chair survivalist". A forum like this is just the ticket for me, allows to "pick the brains" of more experienced folks and contribute whatever I can.

klkak
12-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I appreciate your question Sarge, makes one think a bit (:eek: not a bad thing). I think the response that "reluctant" gave is closest to the way I think. In particular "It means fitting in and working with not against what is thrown at you" One certainly must practice and master some basic skills and have ability to use basics tools to be prepared , that instills confidence. And of course to the maximum extent possible be situationaly aware. That being said, I am certainly not one who has, ever nor will never "turn the other cheek" and this is because of confidence in myself,my level of prepardness. Perhaps I do at least partially fit the definition of "Arm chair survivalist". A forum like this is just the ticket for me, allows to "pick the brains" of more experienced folks and contribute whatever I can.

I appreciate your honesty:)

Pal334
12-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Klkak: Like my old grand father said. If you listen, the worst thing that can hapen is you learn something

doug1980
12-17-2008, 03:49 PM

reluctantpawn

I agree hence my Signature.....

FVR
12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Do you see yourself drinking urine & eating animal poo just to survive, NO, that's just for show.

[/QUOTE] trying to emulate Bear Grylls?[/QUOTE] He is a boot, wannabe.

[/QUOTE] Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you? [/QUOTE]Lint, I don't go that way.

[/QUOTE] Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase? [/QUOTE] I have big knives, like big knives, but don't buy big knives. They have their place.

[/QUOTE] Do you view "SURVIVAL" as the latest EXTREME SPORT? [/QUOTE] NO.

[/QUOTE] Are you looking forward to TEOTWAWKI?[/QUOTE] NO.

pgvoutdoors
12-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I've seen quite of few of Bear Grylls shows in the last few months (I had never watch him before that) and without fail he works in something totally stupid every show. In my opinion ( :rolleyes: ) anyone that sets out to train themselves in the manner he does, is looking to get hurt.

To start with, if you really don't need to climb up or down something, DON'T! Don't drink urine!!! Just don't do it! If your allergic to bees, DON'T stick your head in a be hive! ( :confused: ) And by all means stay out of the 30 degree water!!!!!!!!

If someone tries to emulate his style of training, by going out on their own and attempting to do as he has shown in his shows, it would be foolish. I've stayed clear of this discussion for a while but lately I've had many clients and Boy Scout tell me how they idolize this guy. Please, don't idolize this guy, he's putting on a show.

There are some great instructors out there. Many, many good books written by experienced people. Take a smart approach to your training, and if you wish to test your skills under a real-life scenario, do it under trained supervision.

PS. Just a reminder, "DON'T DRINK YOUR URINE! We have enough crazies on the forum already. :)

trax
12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Personally, I have to say yes, I have survived many, many armchairs.

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Les Stroud does some stupid things too but by no means as bad as Grylls (*cough* poser! *cough*). I remember in Africa he found a bird's nest thing and stuck his hand in one of the holes to grab a bird. The "making of" for this episode (and every episode) features him talking with natives to get an idea of how to survive and they showed him this nest... but ALSO showed him that poisonous snakes crawl in these holes as well.

Jericho117
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM
People like that frustrate me to no end. To most, it is an extreme sport that is all fun and games. People like that will copy Bear Grylls and get themselves killed. Arrogance is punishable by death.

pgvoutdoors
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Les Stroud does go off-base now and then but overall his show is OK.

tsitenha
12-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Apparently Les is ending his series of "Survivorman" with this years taping.

wildWoman
12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
....an "Arm-Chair Survivalist?" Do you see yourself drinking urine & eating animal poo just to survive, trying to emulate Bear Grylls? Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you? Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase? Do you view "SURVIVAL" as the latest EXTREME SPORT? Are you looking forward to TEOTWAWKI? Then stay the crap away from me! Homey don't play 'dat. I think a lot of people we get on here have the wrong idea about Survival. What do you all think?:cool:

Thank you Sarge for expressing what I often think about some questions and discussed survival scenarios here. Thank you, thank you.

crashdive123
12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Hairy Turtle. - you wouldn't want people to think that you were a troll with your first post now would you? How about heading over to the introduction section and prove them all wrong.

Arsey
12-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Am I....an "Arm-Chair Survivalist?

Probably am in comparison to a lot of you.

Do you see yourself drinking urine & eating animal poo just to survive, trying to emulate Bear Grylls?

I saw one of his shows for the first time last night. From a professional point of view (ex cameraman here and my wife is a writer and Director) it was entertaining and I can see how stupid people would like it and say they had learnt something about survival. And maybe they did. Who knows?
Would I eat faeces or drink urine just to survive is a tricky one to answer - I don't know. I hope not. But then I hope I would have been successfull surviving some other way first and if I had not succeeded then maybe I'd be happy doing it. Yuk.

Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you?

Seeing as I do most of the washing it would be me who would save it (Sensitive New Age Guy here girls he he). But no I buy firesteels and a supply of lighters that I have in every bag we own. Just in case.

Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase?

I don't give a rat's *** about homeland security and I am partial to a big knife. That's mainly due to the fact that I know little about knives and big is beautiful.

Do you view "SURVIVAL" as the latest EXTREME SPORT?
No. Christmas shopping is.

Are you looking forward to TEOTWAWKI?
No but I think things are a changin' whether we like it or not.

I think a lot of people we get on here have the wrong idea about Survival. What do you all think?
Let me ask you Sarge what is your idea of survival? Is it the right one?

Sarge47
12-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Am I....an "Arm-Chair Survivalist?

Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you?

Seeing as I do most of the washing it would be me who would save it (Sensitive New Age Guy here girls he he). But no I buy firesteels and a supply of lighters that I have in every bag we own. Just in case.

Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase?

I don't give a rat's *** about homeland security and I am partial to a big knife. That's mainly due to the fact that I know little about knives and big is beautiful.

Let me ask you Sarge what is your idea of survival? Is it the right one?
I've already answered this question a dozen times & will do so again at the end of this post.

1st, let me advise you to save dryer lint as a great firestarter to be used WITH your firesteels & lighters.

2nd, as far as knives go big is beautiful IN THE DISPLAY CASE but is not the right answer for the outdoors.

3rd, & finalkly my idea about Survival is that it's a matter of LIFE OR DEATH!!!! Yes, as history has shown, it's the right one!:cool:

Dragonfyre
12-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Do you see yourself drinking urine & eating animal poo just to survive, trying to emulate Bear Grylls? No, I don't think I would get into that extreme a situation! Besides there are many other options besides eating poo or drinking urine.
Does your wife get tired of saving all of her dryer lint just for you? No, because I just go grab it myself when I need some!!
Do you run out and buy the biggest knife you can find, only hoping you don't alert Homeland Security to your purchase? No, most of my knives are smaller. I only carry one 8" fixed blade and in my pack I carry a few smaller knives. I always carry a small Gerber folder in my pocket.
Do you view "SURVIVAL" as the latest EXTREME SPORT? No
Are you looking forward to TEOTWAWKI? Hell NO!
What do you all think?

In my situation, I do go camping primitive style. I like to go out on planned little excursions with just the basics. I'm not by any means saying I know everything or that I'm hardcore. I do these things just in case they become necessary skills and to learn what works and what doesn't. I hunt alot and you never know what you may encounter out there. Obviously, there are different survival scenarios, this being a wilderness forum I won't stray of into "urban survival". I'm sure to the harcore I'm an armchair survivalist because I live in a house in a town with modern conveniences. To me I just think learning and putting these skills to the test is important, you never know when you will need them.