PDA

View Full Version : Ron Hood's Atax

kid
12-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Does any one have one of these? Since I have been looking online, and have not been able to find a review for it. I was able to find many opinions by people that don't have it, but no really good reviews on it.

Plz don't harp on it if you do not have an Atax.

Gray Wolf
12-15-2008, 04:17 AM
The Atax is a very versatile tool. Tops is and has been making them for Ron. Also the Atax is easily made into an axe, and the handle opens to store items in, like fishing gear. But there is a lot more to the Atax. Try to find someone with the video, that will help you make your decision

kid
12-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Try to find someone with the video, that will help you make your decision

:)Thanks Gray Wolf for the idea, but that may be rather hard, to find anyone with the video, especially since I don't even know any one with the atax in the first place.

In that case does anyone have the Atax film that I could potentialy borrow, or get a copy from.

Heres the link for it, for the people that don't already know what the Atax is.

http://www.survival.com/atax.htm

rebel
12-15-2008, 10:54 PM
$200 bucks for what? Angles? I don't need to know. A tree's height? I don't need to know. What time it is? I don't need to know. I don't see that it's worth the money or the best tool.

For the same amount of money as the Atax you could have a nice multi-tool , a machete or hatchet , BOB and gear.

If you like it so much you need it and can get it, let us all know how it performs.

Gray Wolf
12-16-2008, 11:01 PM
If you like it so much you need it and can get it, let us all know how it performs.

Isn't the smart thing to do, is come here and tap the wealth of knowledge first, before spending the money? Also Kid has made some great knives and shared them with us. Use the search and check out the knives Kid has made. He's no newbie.

tsitenha
12-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I've never used one or held one in my hands but from the few reports it seems a tool that could be very well useful, a jack of all trades but master of none.
right for a survival situation, I think so.

rebel
12-16-2008, 11:22 PM
tsitenha got it right: it's a jack of all trades and a master of none.

I'm just giving my opinion. Take it or leave it. I'm not changing my opinion for anyone about this tool.

If it was this or nothing then, I'd take it.

Gray Wolf
12-17-2008, 01:15 AM
KID asked:

Does any one have one of these? Since I have been looking online, and have not been able to find a review for it. I was able to find many opinions by people that don't have it.

Plz don't harp on it if you do not have an Atax.

tsitenha posted:

I've never used one or held one in my hands but from the few reports it seems a tool that could be very well useful,

rebel posted

tsitenha got it right: it's a jack of all trades and a master of none.
I'm just giving my opinion. Take it or leave it. I'm not changing my opinion for anyone about this tool.
But he said "I've never used one or held one in my hands".

So you didn't read what KID said "Plz don't harp on it if you do not have an Atax".

So what would have you said if Jason, PGV, Rick, Crash, Keven, myself, FVR, Sarge etc, said this is a great all in one, well built TOP's knife, because we had used one????
If you don't think that TOP's thought it through, before they retooled to make it, at a great expense, your incorrect, and basing your opinion on just hearsay.... Which is what KID didn't want.

rebel
12-17-2008, 07:21 AM
GW. I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen about the tool, my past experience with tools and my needs in the woods. For instance, from my past experience I do not believe that you could effectively tie the atax in a way that it would stay securely to a stick for the purpose of making a good hatchet. I think it would become loose and possible fly off and cause an injury or, fly off and get lost.

It's nothing personal as you would like to believe. So, yes I would tell any of the forum members my opinion. You must think I'm a suck-up with that statement. I guarantee you that I can make up my own mind about things. If I see something I do or don't like I usually speak up about it.

If the ronco thing cost $25 bucks I'd say get it and throw it in the bag for a back up.

If you don't want an opinion then don't post it. Keep it to yourself. "Don't harp on it", please.
Is that like, if you have something positive to say about it then that's fine? Obviously it is because, I'm being attacked for saying something negative. Go figure. "I've never used one or held one in my hands but from the few reports it seems a tool that could be very well useful, a jack of all trades but master of none.right for a survival situation, I think so."

Ole WV Coot
12-17-2008, 11:57 AM
For what little it's worth you get a little book with directions with the thing. If you only want positive opinions you ain't gonna learn anything. I have my opinion and could probably make one of those if I wanted. So here's my positive opinion, like it or not: I am positive I wouldn't spend that kind of money for it. If you want to know how high something is, measure using the shadow bit. Angles? you should recognize a 90, 22 1/2 and go past that and split the difference, guarantee that's close enough for Govt work. Small & large sharp thingies will cut and if there was a universal tool I would sell everything in my workshop for scrap. See I didn't judge the thing, just made a personal observation.

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Anything posted on an open forum is subject to opinions and second hand info (such as I have seen or read) so live with it. The tool itself (whatever the price) seem well made and designed for its purpose, like I said before not the best at any one thing but an excellent compromise (this is from someone who has a "skatchet" or two) and I would, if I had one, not be worried to carry it and find it wanting.

Winter is around the corner and the skin is thin...................;)

crashdive123
12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I think all Kid wanted was opinions from those that actually have used one. I don't think he was asking for a positive or a negative review, but rather an experienced review.

tsitenha
12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
People for all the negative thoughts out there, do want to be helpful you just got to sift through.
Like today 4" of fluff snow...glare ice under neath...walking along and the feet go one way, me, well most of me went the other. Owing to my numerous years of martial arts, I do a breakfall and was quite successful at it....almost... still cracked a few ribs and tore up some back muscles and ligament (soft tissue damage). Its gonna hurt for a while...:D
Well my wife, my neighbor and I swear the Keyestones cops are in there somewheres... are coming to help and are pulling me up and side ways and back around...wind is knocked out of me and when I can, I start laughing so hard I almost pissed myself... all in the spirit of helping
Now wait for the good part I have a cold and as a habit will sneeze about 10-15 times in a row.... see what is coming...:eek:
they do their best as some of us here are trying to answer, like I said open forum you pays your money you takes your chances;)

crashdive123
12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, not meaning to hi-jack Kids thread (well - again) .... Get well soon Tsitenha.

nell67
12-17-2008, 04:23 PM
AWWW,hope you feel better soon.

Ole WV Coot
12-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Just my opinion but falling now that's something different. After many years of falling and getting the wind knocked out of me I sure would like to know why folks want to grab you and pick you up before you can inventory the old body and talk enough to tell them to wait a sec. If I see something I wouldn't buy I generally say so, take it or leave it you'll know what I think about whatever.

Gray Wolf
12-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Rebel,
Why would I like to believe it's personal? I also wasn't attacking you for saying something negative. Crash was correct, "all Kid wanted was opinions from those that actually have used one". I could have given my personal opinion on the ATAX too, but I don't own one. I did say that that TOP's thought it through, before they retooled to make it, at a great expense. That's not an opinion, just a fact of manufacturing.

MCBushbaby
12-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Eugh, these specialty knives are nothing more than bragging rights and complication. I had the same feeling with the other Hood knife (the big, almost rambo knife used for battoning). If you're a lumberjack measuring tree hieghts for felling while wanting to skin that deer you just crushed, then this knife is perfect. Otherwise... yea, wtf.

rebel
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
GW,
Your correct in what Kid was asking. After seeing the product and then the price I forgot about Kid not wanting opinions just a review. So, he got an opinion. Big deal.

What riled me up was the timing. Like this time, when there was a feeding frenzy on Remy, you took a bite out of me on a different thread. I don't know if there is a correlation or, this is a coincidence. Both times I felt it unjustified. Besides, this was Kid 's thread. Can't Kid speak for himself? Why do you feel the need to come over and spank me?

Gray Wolf
12-21-2008, 04:22 PM
GW,
Your correct in what Kid was asking. After seeing the product and then the price I forgot about Kid not wanting opinions just a review. So, he got an opinion. Big deal.

What riled me up was the timing. Like this time, when there was a feeding frenzy on Remy, you took a bite out of me on a different thread. I don't know if there is a correlation or, this is a coincidence. Both times I felt it unjustified. Besides, this was Kid 's thread. Can't Kid speak for himself? Why do you feel the need to come over and spank me?

Rebel, I did not intend to rile you up, take a bite out of you, nor spank you. I was just clarifying what kid posted. Clarifying posts is done all the time. My apologies if you took this personally.

Ole WV Coot
12-22-2008, 07:00 PM
I just took another close look at that thing, the price, reviews and uses. I did it mainly blew up the photo and scaled it to decide if I wanted to make one. IMHO not much work to make one. Pay for one, nope. I don't think it is a top seller and I don't think anyone on here ran out and bought one. Therefore since I can't take one for a "test drive" and wouldn't pay that much for one I do believe you don't have to sink your cash into one to give an educated opinion and I do know what opinions are like.

Gray Wolf
12-23-2008, 03:01 AM
I think that's what kid had in mind, since many of us have seen the knives he's made.

mbassoc
12-30-2008, 04:58 AM
I have the Atax and find it quite useful as a standby blade, but mostly use it as an axe. The majority of the time it lives in my bugout bag and I use either a TAK1 or an LMF as my main blade. Have played around with the RAT7 and considered the TOPS Anaconda, but I think I prefer small blades. Anyways, I'll see if I can find the DVD. If I can, I'll see if it will copy. If it does, I'm sure I can boost Ron's sales by sending out a copy or two. Or maybe find a way of getting it onto Rapidshare. I'm not too technically minded with these things.

nell67
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
mbassoc,great post,now how about heading over to the intro thread and telling us a littel about yourself?:)

Gray Wolf
12-31-2008, 02:37 AM
Nell, took the words right out of my thoughts, great minds think alike!!
So mbassoc, I'm glad you listened to Nell and headed over to the intro thread and told us a little about yourself!

P.S. that would be nice of you to upload that video, for kid (and a few of us).
Welcome to the wolf pack.