PDA

View Full Version : Preparedness on a budget.

remy
12-12-2008, 03:31 PM
In these challenging financial times, you might think that implementing an emergency plan for your family is out of reach due to pure financial reasons.
Not the case.

wareagle69
12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
so we are talking about urban emergency kit not "i'm lost in the bush 72 hour kit" correct and when i say urban i mean even small bush towns but basically some type of weather or man made disaster train derailment ect. yes?

remy
12-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Any type you want...just precise what type.

bulrush
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Remy, how do you define "specialty store"? I realize not all towns have a Gander Mountain, so I would say that's a specialty store. The only thing I bought at a "specialty store" was my Katydyn water filter.

So let's cover these basics:
- Drinking water
- Fire
- Food and cooking
- First aid
- Other

Drinking water
==========
I also bought my own ceramic filter for $40, but parts for building my gravity filter to use said filter were another $40, the total being $80. I could have bought a nice Berkey for $140.

But this is a great post I can related to. Most of my camping gear is used for surviving in the middle of the woods. So, since I've bought several things, I'll list them all here. So you will be seeing multiple stove types, multiple water filter types, multiple knives, etc.

Fire
===
- Firesteel, about $5. Don't remember where I got this but these are hard to find in stores.

- Matches: easy to find in stores, even dollar stores. $1.

- Lighter: butane lighters found in dollar stores. Torch butanes also found in my dollar store. $1.

First aid
======
Go. To. Your. Dollar. Store.
- 4x4 bandages (4 per box). Get 2 boxes per person. $2
- Regular bandaids. $1.
- First aid tape. $1.
- Gauze roll. $1.

Food and cooking
=============

- Swiss Volcano Stove, about $10. www.cheaperthandirt.com

- German surplus alcohol stove and cook kit, about $6 (now $12). www.cheaperthandirt.com (does not work well in winter)

- Esbit fuel tab stove $2 (I think it was $8 for 4 stoves each with 4 tabs) www.cheaperthandirt.com

- Homemade alcohol pop can stove. 20 cents, plus tools. Instructions on www.instructables.com. Only works at 40F and above temperatures.

- Ramen noodles. 25 cents each. Sometimes cheaper. Hit Big Lots for best prices.

- Canned soup. 60 cents at Big Lots.

- Peanut butter. High fat, but has protein too.

- Nuts. More high fat, but has protein too.

- Canned veggies. Good deal at 60 cents each at Big Lots.

- Noodles from Asian markets. Each bag has 3-4 adult servings. .80-1.00 each at Asian markets. Fearful of melamine? Skip this.

Other
====
- Knives
I have collected various knives. But one of the best ones I got was a filet knife for free from an outdoor magazine. The knife is a stiff folder (no lock), and very sharp, and good steel. However, due to its stiffness, it is utterly inappropriate for filetting fish. FREE.

- 0F sleeping bag. $50. This bag is rated to zero degrees.

- LED flashlight. $3. I made this myself from an altoids tin. Parts were $3. It uses a 9v battery so lasts a long time, and the 2 LEDs practically sip power. My light has a strip of glow in the dark powder on it, so I can find it in the dark. This second generation GID glows 10 hours, I tried it and it works. You can now find cheap LED flashlights at local stores. Try to avoid ones made in China, I had problems with 2 of the same model made in China in 2007. Directions to make light at http://www.geocities.com/csroberts/light.htm .

- Candles. $1. Candles are easy to find at dollar stores and can be used to cook in a pinch (put at least 3 candles under the pan). Good for light too.

- LED candle. $2. Yesterday I bought an LED candle which has a yellow light that flickers. It runs on 2AA batteries, and those are cheap (at dollar stores) and easy to find. However it does not give off much light. It can be used as a marker light only, like, to show you where your flashlight is kept.

crashdive123
12-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Good topic Remy. I'll work on my list when I get back into town.

primeelite
12-13-2008, 11:47 PM
It is kind of hard to really make a budget kit if you do not know the exact scenario. I guess if you are just saying having a budget pack ready that could be good for you in any scenario. I think that is pretty easy then just cover the basics such as matches, flashlight, sleeping bag, knife, backpack, and some protein bars.

remy
12-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Crash...Yeah i am working on mine as we speak...

Primeelite,

You will never know the exact scenario...
And no, it is not easy, $100 goes pretty fast if you want to include well made gear.
Here is my list so far...

-General emergency preparedness kit.
(climate zone = any)

*First aid kit by Atwater Carey.
2 person kit.
Price : $12.

Content in 2 water proofed heavy duty re-sealable plastic bags, both bags are in a bright yellow zipper pouch :
-1 roll of tape.
-1 tube of compound benzoin tincture
-1 plastic bottle with 2 large safety pins and tweezers.
-4 antihistamine tablets.
-1 triple antibiotic ointment.
-1 povidone-iodine ointment.
-8 ibuprofen.
-8 benzalkonium chloride antiseptic towelette.
-1 bandage roll
-2 mirasorb gauze sponges (4X4 - 4 ply)
-10 assorted sterile bandages.
-1 package of wound closure strips.
-5 sterile gauze pads (3X3 - 12 ply)

---------------------------------------------$12

*Although a free kitchen knife would do...
Craftsmen's Mora Knife Model 760.
Price : $15.

---------------------------------------------$27

*BIC lighter
Price : $1.

*Magnesium fire starter.
Price : $5
---------------------------------------------$33

*Tarp.
6X8 Heavyweight polyethylene tarp.
Price : $5 (from Campmor)

---------------------------------------------$38

*Canteen, with canteen cup.
Can be found at different prices, but i will put it at $10.

---------------------------------------------$48

*Military style wool blanket.
Price : $20 (command post)

---------------------------------------------$68

*100' of Mil spec 550 Para Cord.
Price : $7

---------------------------------------------$75

*fox 40 whistle.
Price : $5

---------------------------------------------$80

*potable Aqua iodine water purification tablets.
Price : $5 (campersafety)

---------------------------------------------$85

*100% cotton Bandana.
Price : $3

---------------------------------------------$88

*55 Gallon heavy duty garbage bags.
(Buy them for home, and snag a couple)
Price : free.

---------------------------------------------$88

I have $12 left...which i will probably spend on a small LED flashlight, Cliff bars and maybe a button compass, although i do not know yet. I also might go with a quikclot @ $10...and scrap the flashlight all together...after all, natives did not have flashlights and they did pretty well.

So far, here is a break down in percentages:
(Note that some items serve dual purposes, hence the percentages reaching beyond 100%.)

Fire and light = 6%
Signaling = 16%
Water and food = 33%
Shelter = 32%
medical = 15%
knives and tools = 15%
Multi purpose items = 35%

But like i said, i still have $12 to go...
As you can see, no sleeping bag, instead i used a tarp and a wool blanket, which can be rolled and used as the improvised shoulder bag to carry everything. No matches either, i never use those while out.

crashdive123
12-19-2008, 02:21 AM
OK – Here’s the approach I took on this one. I went to Walmart. Most of the items are in the camping/sporting goods area. The first aid kit came from the pharmacy area. Now admittedly this is not the best kit you can put together. I wanted to see if you could put together “something” to help you in a pinch within the parameter of spending $100. Right now I am fortunate enough to be in a position that if I needed $100 worth of gear I could go out and buy it. It has not always been that way in my life though. So, after I priced everything at Walmart I decided to see where I could save even more money, or improve the quality of some of the items.

Ozark Trail Hooded Poncho $0.88
Portable Aqua Plus $5.88
Hatchet $7.88
Water Resistant Stuff Bag $3.96
Laker – 75 Piece Hook/Swivel/Sinker Kit $1.76
OmniFlex 12lb Fishing Line (980 ft) $2.50
Coleman King Size 20* Sleeping Bag $21.88
Winchester Woody Fine Fixed Blade $14.88
Duck (yes Duck) Tape – 10 yards $1.00
Husky .7 Mil 9X12 Drop Cloth $1.38
Ozark Trail 6X8 All Purpose Tarp $4.68
2 Pack 7 ounce Sterno $3.86
18 oz Enamel Cup $2.88
Bic Lighter $1.00
Ozark Magnesium/Flint Bar $6.88
Ozark Light Sticks (2 Pack) $2.00
Ozark Compass/Whistle/Magnifier/Thermometer Combo $3.88
2 Pack Emergency Candles $2.28
Ray-O-Vac LED Key Chain $2.00
Ray-O-Vac Value Bright Flashlight (2- AA) $1.00
Cliff Bar Oatmeal Raisin Walnut (2) $1.96
First Aid Kit $5.64
30 adhesive bandages 3/8 X 1-1/2
20 adhesive bandages ¾ X 3
5 butterfly closures
10 cotton swabs
4 finger splints
4 sterile gauze pads 2 X 2
2 sterile gauze pads 4 X 4
1 roll adhesive tape ½ X 2.5 yards
2 exam gloves
1 instant cold compress
2 antibiotic ointment packets
12 alcohol prep pads
1 instructions

Total Cost $100.06

First item – emergency poncho. If you have nothing else, they will work about as well as a large (yard) trash bag. Replace poncho with a couple of trash bags that you have around. Savings .88

Aqua – well I suppose boiling and filtering the water could save a few bucks if needed. Throw some coffee filters or an old t-shirt for removing the big chunks before boiling. Savings - $5.88

Hatchet. Might be able to find one cheaper at a garage sale. Do I really need it. I know I want it. How about fashioning a chopper out of an old lawn mower blade? Savings - $7.88

Water resistant stuff bag – The purpose of this was to hold all of the “stuff” look around the house. There is probably something that can be used. An old pack, a suitcase, plastic tote. Replace the bag with something on hand. Savings $3.96.

The fishing gear. There are a lot of fishermen (and women) out there. I’ve got a small tackle box with those items in it. Around where I live a lot of fishing takes place from the bridges and jetties. Gear is getting snagged all the time. You can’t walk on the shore near one of those structures and not find any gear. Replace fishing gear with items on hand. Savings - $4.26.

The sleeping bag – Look in your closets. Got any extra blankets, quilts or comforters. Depending on your climate these can substitute. Savings - $21.88

Knife -look around the house. Got any kitchen or utility knives that aren’t being used? Check yard sales you may be able to find pretty good quality at a big savings. There are several threads on here about making your own from old files or scrap metal. Try it. Savings - $14.88.

Duck Tape (it really is Duck brand) – Got any extra laying around in the garage? If you do – Savings - $1.00

Painters tarp – replace with several more lawn bags. Savings - $1.38

The tarp – check around the garage, I’ll bet you have one already Replace with one on hand. Savings $4.68

2 pack of Sterno – Read the threads on pepsi can stoves – make one (they are really easy to make). Now take a look in your medicine chest. Grab that bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Grab a coat hanger (wire) to make a pot stand. Replace Sterno – Savings - $3.86

Enamel coated cups are good to boil water or cook food. Look in the kitchen cabinets. I’m sure there is a pot or two that aren’t being used. A used coffee can with a wire handle makes a great billy can. A small veggie can (use one without the plastic liner) makes a serviceable cup. Replace cup with items on hand. Savings - $2.88.

Bic Lighter – if you don’t have one laying around the house – head out to the smoking area at work and ask for one. Another option – walk into your local watering hole – they always have books of matches in bowls. Grab a handful. I don’t particularly care for them, but better than nothing. Savings - $1.00.

mag bar – Is there any natural flint in your area? Some natural fling, a steel bar (you can always find some scrap) and a bit of char cloth. Savings - $6.88.

Whistle/compass/magnifier combo – you may be able to find something cheaper – I’ll keep this for now.

Emergency candles – rummage through those kitchen drawers or go to a local restaurant that has those glass bowls with a candle in them (you know the ones – they’re usually red with plastic netting. Talk to the manager – ask for the ones that they are getting ready to toss, take em home and melt the wax to make your own. Either way – Savings $2.88.

The two lights – pretty good price on those, but…….is there a job fair or trade show in town? The vendors love to attract people by giving away free things. One popular give away is LED lights. Grab a handful. I went to the Jaguars / Colts game tonight (Jags lost) they gave away flashing light sticks that would certainly draw more attention than the chem. Lights. I’ll bet if you look around the house you’ll find an extra light someplace. Use it. Savings - $3.00.

Cliff bars – grab anything in the kitchen that will keep. Peanut butter, sardines, Raman noodles, crackers, cereal, pop tarts. Savings - $1.96.

The first aid kit – most households have some basic first aid supplies on hand. It’ll probably surprise you what you find in the back of the medicine chest. Savings - $5.64.

OK – If I were to find replacements for everything I listed, I would be down to $3.88 because I kept my cheap whistle and compass. You may only replace a few items. I’m missing some useful gear with my list. No cordage other than the fishing line. Maybe there’s some around the house that I can use. No signal mirror – grab an old CD. My intention with the exercise wasn’t to make a complete – “I’m going into the woods for a year kit”, but rather illustrate that we can put together some items that will help us out in a jam, and do it on a budget. With what you save by using items that are already at your disposal you will have the extra $$$ to purchase the items that are not.

Good thread Remy – thanks for starting it.

Arsey
12-19-2008, 04:51 AM
Great thread Remy.

I cannot believe how cheap your country is!! I mean the stuff in your country. :)

We would, on average, probably pay in excess of 3x what you pay - looking at your lists and prices.

So I'd have to be looking at a $300 kit.

To be honest that is the convertion ratio I've always used when it comes to comparing US prices and ours.

Sucks but that's the way it is.

I'll try and get some comparable prices for you.

One that springs to mind instantly is fire steels. You could bank on paying between $15 and $50 dollars over here in upside down land.

A knife for $15 - you gotta be kidding me. More like $30. OK you might be able to track something cheaper down but........

Duct/Duck/Duk Tape - around $10 for a psuedo roll. The real stuff is way X'y.

Tarps - even a tiny one is $10 at the cheap s**t shops.

You lucky bu99ers. You should enjoy the cheap while you can.

:)

Stairman
12-19-2008, 08:40 AM
I recently acquired one of those compass/whistle/thermometer/magnifiers and added it to my kit.Weighs nothing is cheap and usefull.

crashdive123
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Arsey - what about purchasing on-line? How are the shipping costs to your neck of the woods?

Arsey
12-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Shipping is a touchy subject.

I've tried getting things from the US, say for instance from a surplus store, say a Katydyn water filter. Here they are expensive. Not too bad over in the US. You go online and contact the company and more often than not they are not interested in dealing with someone who lives on the other side of the world and certainly not someone who has a credit card that is not American. I've got friends in the states who can get get me stuff if I really want it but it nearly always is not worth it as Customs always opens it and you get hit with import tax so it cancels out any gain you might have thought that you got.
Sucks but that is the world.

crashdive123
12-20-2008, 10:26 AM
With higher costs I would think all the more reason to become interested in making your own gear - like the machete in your album (nice work BTW).

Aurelius95
12-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Good Post, Remy. I've enjoyed reading what you guys would do with $100 US. I would think snagging some large garbage bags would certainly be a cost saver, in addition to any cheapo poncho you can buy at Wally World. For water purification purpsoses, as long as you have the fuel (wood) boiling would be the cheapest method. But would you consider some iodine drops vs. a water filtration system?

Arsey
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks Crash.
I'd love to make more stuff myself.
Just got to find more time.

Kankujoe
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Good topic to think through... lots to good ideas in this thread.