PDA

View Full Version : Stoves, pots...too many

BigB
12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey guys, new member here. Im constantly trying to find my perfect cooking set-up for camp trips. I like to go minimal as possible, but still have a hard time finding what Im looking for. I currently use an msr pocket rocket stove, which works well, but sometimes I dont like the idea of bringing the isopro canisters with me. Does anyone just bring one pot and boil water from their fire? This seems basic, but I cant find any vids of people doing it! Does it ruin your pot? Im rambling, Im just interested in hearing of some others methods. Thanks

Runs With Beer
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I think its all in what your willing to carry, I Use a coffie can with a wire bail I can boil water, and cook,Also some foil, salt, pepper, and what ever else you might want can be carried inside the can, Works for me.

BigB
12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
So when you say you use a coffee can, do you mean you set a pot on top of it with wood buring in the can? Or is the can your pot, which you set on the fire?? Thanks

Runs With Beer
12-10-2008, 06:59 PM
So when you say you use a coffee can, do you mean you set a pot on top of it with wood buring in the can? Or is the can your pot, which you set on the fire?? Thanks

Food in the can, can on the fire.

crashdive123
12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Using the coffee can as a billy can. Or just a canteen cup, depending on what you need to cook in it.

BigB
12-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Speaking of a canteen cup, I have the one that also has a little stove that fits under it, but I never figured out what kind of fuel i need for it, any ideas? Its the GI canteen cup cooking system

crashdive123
12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Does it look like one of these?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Emergency%20Gear/Emergencypreparednesssupplies006.jpg

Badawg
12-10-2008, 11:46 PM
A nice trick when cooking over a fire is to rub the pot with soap first. That way the soot is much easier to get off.

I use an MSR XGK as it burns anything, and for a pot I have some old open country stainless.

I also have a 22 0z MSR stainless cup. it goes in a neoprene sleeve with a nalgene water bottle inside. I use that with a tin can stove. For 1 person it's about perfect.

BigB
12-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Crash, the one I have is the nato crusader cup and stove

crashdive123
12-11-2008, 07:10 AM

You can probably use Esbit or Trioxane fuel tablets. You can see both of them in the picture I posted next to the stoves.

Jericho117
12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
All the materials can be provided in the wilderness in terms of cooking implements. One old pot should do, maybe one knife and fork set, and well, that's it. I like to coal-burn, stopped bringing metal into the woods.

Runs With Beer
12-11-2008, 09:54 PM
All the materials can be provided in the wilderness in terms of cooking implements. One old pot should do, maybe one knife and fork set, and well, that's it. I like to coal-burn, stopped bringing metal into the woods.

I agree, It doesnt take a lot to cook, A vessel and Heat.

RBB
12-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, new member here. Im constantly trying to find my perfect cooking set-up for camp trips. I like to go minimal as possible, but still have a hard time finding what Im looking for. I currently use an msr pocket rocket stove, which works well, but sometimes I dont like the idea of bringing the isopro canisters with me. Does anyone just bring one pot and boil water from their fire? This seems basic, but I cant find any vids of people doing it! Does it ruin your pot? Im rambling, Im just interested in hearing of some others methods. Thanks

If I'm alone - two small kettles. One for food, one for coffee.

Why would it ruin your kettle?

I have a couple of Coleman stoves and an MSR white gas stove. Have used the Colemans seldom and the MSR never. Just for fire bans.

dougz
12-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Was looking at these ones..

They look alright:

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=173

I'm mainly concerned with boiling water, but will be cooking up oatmeal, as well..

crashdive123
12-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Was looking at these ones..

They look alright:

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=173

I'm mainly concerned with boiling water, but will be cooking up oatmeal, as well..

For boiling water and making oatmeal you can use a canteen cup, an old coffee can or any number of things (I do have a cook kit similar to the one you posted). It all "boils" down to how much gear you want to bring.

RBB
12-13-2008, 06:10 AM
If you're worried about ruining a kettle - take a tin can, drill holes opposite each other on the sides of the top (just below the rim). Take a wire hanger and a pair of pliers and make yourself a bail. For two kettles - do the same with a can slightly larger (or smaller) than the first. One "kettle" fits inside the other for packing. Stow kettle(s) in a plastic bag so you don't mess up your pack. No need to wash the outside.

After camping - throw the cans away.

Tony uk
12-13-2008, 06:47 AM

It looks like you have a part of the crusader cooking system :-

http://www.survival-school.org/Default.aspx?tabid=246&ProductID=225

From that site, It says the stove can be used with either a gel fuel or solid hexamine / esbit fuel blocks.

BigB
12-13-2008, 07:35 AM
RBB, the only thought I had about ruining one of my pots was mainly on the handles, being side mounted, I thought perhaps it would burn the plastic off.

Tony UK, yes it is part of the crusader cooking system. I've heasrd or esbit tabs, but never heard of gel fuel.

dougz
12-13-2008, 10:07 PM
It all "boils" down to how much gear you want to bring

Well, that's the thing..

I won't have a tin can or a coffee tin, or anything like that..

I'll need ONE reliable vessel that can withstand heat from a camp fire..

Might as well be a good one, if I have the room, and my pack could stand the weight (mine's up around 34lbs right now).. :)

tsitenha
12-13-2008, 10:18 PM
A stove stand that works/stores with the GI canteen is available, not overly hot or large to carry (nestles with canteen, cup) in GI canteen holder.

Tony uk
12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
RBB, the only thought I had about ruining one of my pots was mainly on the handles, being side mounted, I thought perhaps it would burn the plastic off.

Tony UK, yes it is part of the crusader cooking system. I've heasrd or esbit tabs, but never heard of gel fuel.

Most gel fules ive seen are either alcohol or methanol based.

An example :- http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2851.html

I dont use gel fules that much, so i cant really pass judgement on them, But from the specs they apprear to be very clean burning fuel. Well.....More so than solid fuel

SARKY
12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
For pots I use the "Snow Peak Titanium Solo Cook Kit", It is a pot with lid and a cup, one nestles in the other and a Nalgene bottle nestles in them. I carry them in a Maxpedition water bottle carrier which has a pouch on the outside for tea bags, oatmeal etc. As for my stove, I've done away with any kind of stove that I need to carry fuel for (unless i'm going to the arctic or desert) so I carry a "Pocket Cooker" which is a folding wood stove(folded it is .75inches by 4inches by 7inches). unfolded it is very stable. If someone can tell me how to post photos (i have a Mac) i'll show you what my rig looks like.

crashdive123
12-15-2008, 10:08 PM
SARKY - here's a thread on posting pics. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1318

bulrush
12-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey bigb,
This guy has videos and demos of home made equipment designs (ultralight) and commercial designs.
http://www.backpackingvideos.com/

And this site is the
Wilderness Wiki (http://funditor.110mb.com/wiki/index.php/The_Wilderness_Wiki_-_Main_Page) which you might find helpful.

crashdive123
01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Sarge - Move to Survival Kits & Survival Products