PDA

View Full Version : Why Does It Work?

RBB
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Every autumn I get a bunch of chickens from tne neighbor up the road. Some are butchered and frozen - others are made into chicken soup and frozen.

Two days ago I started to feel stuffed up, sore throat, headache, sneezing, and coughs. Since then I've been on the chicken soup diet. Feeling much better.

Medical science tells us there is nothing to chicken soup as a cold remedy - yet it seems to work. Why is that?

primeelite
12-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I would think that it is the heat from the soup that makes people feel better. It warms up the whole body just as hot coffee or tea would. There might be another reason also such as the amount of protein in the chicken and broth to add to it but not sure.

catfish10101
12-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I saw some doctors on TV answer this question earlier today. Basically what they said was that the steam helps the nasal passages and throat feel better and the soup itself is mostly water which helps fight dehydration, thus making you feel much better and helping your body fight the cold.

canid
12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
not to mention most chicken soups have enough salt to encourage water retention.

other than that, anything that both lifts the spirits and sates the stomach, like good and hot soup just has to help some.

Foxman
12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah. So basically it has the same property as hot water. Or creamed spinach, except for a lot of people like it better so they say that works... Now I'm going to have to make myself a bowl... lol

primeelite
12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah continuing my earlier post, I think it is a combination of the heat/steam of the soup along with the large amount of sodium and some protein that just makes you feel full and better.

Ole WV Coot
12-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Every autumn I get a bunch of chickens from tne neighbor up the road. Some are butchered and frozen - others are made into chicken soup and frozen.

Two days ago I started to feel stuffed up, sore throat, headache, sneezing, and coughs. Since then I've been on the chicken soup diet. Feeling much better.

Medical science tells us there is nothing to chicken soup as a cold remedy - yet it seems to work. Why is that?

I gave up chicken. Watched them make Chicken McNuggets at MickyDs. They take the whole chickens and throw them in a wood chipper and that just ain't right paying for feathers & chicken lips but the soup does work for some strange reason.:confused:

canid
12-10-2008, 11:44 PM
tell me about it; i'm making chili manzańa with pork. whole different formula, same beautiful cure.

A190
12-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Something that taste as good as chicken soup, home made with all the trim, how could you not feel good...............Maybe somethings just aren't supposed to be explained...

Badawg
12-11-2008, 12:54 AM
All the above helps, but also there were several studies(1 from Harvard Med) that point at the cartilage in a chicken as having a beneficial effect.

canid
12-11-2008, 01:15 AM
polysacharides of some sort?

similar conclusions have been drawn and/or evidenced in immunology studies involving those from shark cartilage.

Tony uk
12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I prefer what we call a 'Hot toddy' up here. mix 1/4 cup whiskey with 1 or 2 spoons of honey. Pour in boiling water. Add sugar to taste and enjoy.

Im not a big fan of alcohol, but this seems to work for me and thats why i reccomend it.

tsitenha
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Badawg, Canid are spot on, there are factors in the chicken broth other than just the heat and steam that are beneficial.
The hot toddy well that just makes the interim wait that more relaxing.

trax
12-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Well I'd recommend wild rabbit in place of the chicken or roast muskrat. You'll feel better

Beans
12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
I prefer what we call a 'Hot toddy' up here. mix 1/4 cup whiskey with 1 or 2 spoons of honey. Pour in boiling water. Add sugar to taste and enjoy.

Several of them, won't cure you humdrums, but you won't care.;)

Old grandmother receipt. Very hot lemonade made with REAL lemons. It worked for me and on my kids.