PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Gear Required?

doug1980
12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok, I know that most of you will read this and say "Oh, come on you don't know what to have?" and the fact is not really. Being new to Alaska I have no idea what to have with me to survive a few days in the frigid cold. I do a lot of "Jeepin" offroading to the Glacier or any public trail to see parts of Alaska that most never get to see. I never go alone and always tell someone where I'm going with an estimated time of return. I, of course, have self recovery items in the Jeep ie. winch, shovel, axe, tow straps and so on... I also have extra fuel and water. I have a huge rucksack with MRE's extra clothes, layers of clothing, waterproof jacket and pants, rope, 6" knife, multi tool, lighter, flashlight, gloves and first aid kit. I know there has to be a lot I'm forgetting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crashdive123
12-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Doug - we've got a bunch of Alaska folks on here that will be able to answer your question as far as what they carry.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Doug - we've got a bunch of Alaska folks on here that will be able to answer your question as far as what they carry.

I agree, ask someone that has been there to do it.

rockymtnchief
12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I got one of those popcorn tins for Christmas one year (big with 4 flavors). After it was all gone I stuffed it with a 3 wick candle, hand warmers, space blanket, compass, first aid kit, power bars, and other small survival items. It's always in my Jeep in case I get stuck or, heaven forbid, lost.

trax
12-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Got weather forecasts? Maps or gps? Sounds like you got a pretty good start on things Doug, but I'll leave it up to our resident Alaskanians. (I love getting to make up words :))

doug1980
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Got weather forecasts? Maps or gps? Sounds like you got a pretty good start on things Doug, but I'll leave it up to our resident Alaskanians. (I love getting to make up words :))

I always check the weather before I go, the extended forecast, but you know weather men can't predict the weather. lol As far as a GPS I bought a Garmin for the drive up here from Indiana, not sure how well it would work in the woods. Is there a difference between the hand-helds and the car GPS?

Jericho117
12-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Your pretty much set, utilizing primitive wilderness survival skills (not basic with fancy things) will allow you to create your own cooking pots by coal-burning, clothing, (don't bring a tent) shelter, ect..... I refrain from bringing things that make being in the woods a luxury, becuase it's not suppost to be, even in survival. Being able to fashion all your tools and such from nature allow you to maintain a sharp edge in terms of skill. Other than that, If for some reason you dislike primitive survival, than I suggest you bring a set of cooking pots, and extra fire starter (like a flint striker), a blade sharpener wouldn't be to bad to have (like one of those small whetstones), and im not sure of anything else.

AKS
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Well, you seem have the basics pretty well covered for the Alaska winter. You shouldn't have to "survive" more than a few days until someone comes along and rescues you, unless you get extremely remote and lost. No worries if you are just running out to the Knik glacier. People drive that trail all the time and you can walk out (if you are able to walk) in about a day and a half. There is cell coverage around wolf point if you get desperate for a ride. You might want to throw a heavy duty sleeping bag in there incase you end up sitting arround for some reason with the engine off. Are your clothes in waterproof bags? You never know when you might go through some ice, dry clothes will save your life. Sounds like you have the fire issue covered. Extra gasoline and a lighter can get you toasty real quick. Watch out you don't loose your eyebrows...or worse. Know how to build a lean to shelter? One of those over a pine needle bed with a fire a few feet out front will keep you nice and warm all night if the need arises. That's my take on it, klkak will probably have some better advice when he gets on line.

wildWoman
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Having the means and knowledge to get back on foot is always good. People usually put a lot of faith and trust into machinery and then are unprepared to cope when it goes on strike.
Snowshoes should always travel with you, also food for a few days, winter sleeping bag, complete set of extra winter clothing, and (very important) an extra set of winter boots. Handwarmers are handy. Especially when travelling with a vehicle, there is really no reason to leave equipment behind. I guess you know to use boots with removable felt liners, and always dry the liners overnight.

doug1980
12-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. Looks like I got a little shopping to do. Also I have a Garmin GPS that we used for the trip up here but was wondering if it would work for trails and in the wilderness? Or should I buy an actual trail GPS? Oh and what would you recommend for a set of two-way radios? I seen a set of Midland with wall and car charger, two headsets with a 30 mile range for $80.00.

crashdive123
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Doug - I doubt your Garmin (with street view) will work on the trails. The handheld GPS that are available with topo or trails are pretty good (but shouldn't IMO replace skill with a compass and map....supplement - yes, replace - no). As far as the 2-way radios - the sets that you buy (I have a set of Midlands - 18 mile range) will be severely restricted on range in a mountainis area. The range listed is usually under ideal conditions (across water). Most of these operate in a frequency range that will not get you much more than line of sight type ranges. Again Klkak or Hope could probably better answer this for you. A satellite phone may be a good safety option.

doug1980
12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I kinda figured I'd have to get another GPS unit. I also agree that good 'ol fashioned map reading is a good skill to have and stay current with. As for the radios I doubt I'll need more than a mile or so to keep in contact with others as we are "wheeling" or if the wife and I get seperated for some reason. Thanks for the input.

tipacanoe
12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I have a toilet paper/alcohol, stove that I keep in my vehicle (fits in a coffee can) that along with a couple bottles of alcohol and a window cracked open for fresh air will keep you warm for several hours. You pour the alcohol in when its needed not before, let the toilet paper soak it up and will act as a wick. Granted you need to be careful, but with the temps that you are going to deal with I would think for four dollars you would want one in you Jeep.

crashdive123
01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Sarge - Move to General Survival