PDA

View Full Version : It must fit inside a 32 oz. Wide-Mouth Nalgene Bottle

kx250kev
12-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Ok, this has probably been asked before, but I'll ask anyway. I'm building a 32 oz. Wide-Mouth Nalgene Bottle survival kit. If you have a suggestion for "must-haves" for this type of kit, please add it to this list.

I'll eventually pick items from this list to complete my kit.

crashdive123
12-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Off the top of my head - cover the basics - fire, water (purifcation, filter, boiling), shelter, first aid, signaling, food aquisition. So - fire steel, char cloth, filter straw or purification tabs, section of light weight plastic painters tarp, small first aid kit, small light, small mirror, fishing gear, snare wire, wrap the outside of the bottle with paracord and duct tape, stainless steel cup that fits over base of bottle. Wear a blade on your belt, another in your pocket. The sticky about survival kits may give you some good ideas.

If you want a good laugh (and a few ideas) here's the last time this was asked. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2104&highlight=wide+mouthed Of course it was asked as a first post, so nobody knew anything about the guy.

kx250kev
12-07-2008, 07:29 PM
My bad! I should have searched first.:o

crashdive123
12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
No problem. I know a lot of the responses in that were less about what to put into a bottle and more about ....... well you get the picture. Something else to add - a zip lock bag. If you're using the bottle for water, you'll need a place to put your stuff.

kx250kev
12-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I guess my goal was to supplement my backpacking gear with a cool little kit that I could pack, but that I typically wouldn't need to tap into unless needed.

Plenty of info available via the search, thanks crashdive123

crashdive123
12-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Instead of the water bottle (you may need it for water) you may want to consider something like the small Maxpedition waistpacks. They're small and can just fit on your belt (they are not fanny packs). Bunch of different sizes to choose from as well as other brands.

glocker36
12-08-2008, 06:41 AM
No problem. I know a lot of the responses in that were less about what to put into a bottle and more about ....... well you get the picture. Something else to add - a zip lock bag. If you're using the bottle for water, you'll need a place to put your stuff.

I have never thought about using one of those 32 oz kits, the materials are pretty crappy usually, but that idea about a zip lock for putting your stuff in isn't bad, also, it is a nice idea for keeping all of your PSK stuff in one place when you are backpacking.

If you would put quality items in it, it might make a good project for my scout troop before backpacking season starts up again. I haven't packed it yet, but I bet the whole thing is less than 1.5 pounds.

Fire
Bic Lighter
2 tea candles
Tinderquick fire starter package or ferrocerium striker with Vaseline cotton balls

Shelter
Heatsheet
50 gallon 3 mil garbage bag
20 feet of paracord

Water
Water Purification tabs
Metal cup that fits around the Nalgene bottle like the GSI with folding handles (Optional but nice for boiling water or heating tea/bouillon)

Food
6 feet of snare wire
4 boullion cubes
4 tea bags
4 sugar packs
4 pieces of hard candy

Signaling
Small LED keychain light
Rescue Flash mirror
Whistle

Tools
Small Folding knife or multi tool
6 feet of trail marking tape
9 feet of Gorilla duct tape wrapped around the bottle
1 gallon zip lock bag

First Aid (Optional if it fits)
AMK small first aid kit

Sarge47
12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Both Dick's Sporting Goods & The Boy Scouts of America sell kits like this already made up in a wide-mouthed water bottle.:cool:

SARKY
12-08-2008, 10:42 PM
first off I think puting your gear in your water container is a bad idea...Where are you going to put that stuff once you fill the nalgene bottle with water??? Two pouches I use for holding my gear are the "PackRat" from SpecOps Thier "DryCellOn Board" is another smaller but good one. And from Maxpedition you have the 10" by 4" bottle holder and the 12" by 5" bottle holder. Both of these have pouches on the outside of them and they can be Molled, put on a belt or shoulder strap.

kx250kev
12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
first off I think puting your gear in your water container is a bad idea...Where are you going to put that stuff once you fill the nalgene bottle with water??? Two pouches I use for holding my gear are the "PackRat" from SpecOps Thier "DryCellOn Board" is another smaller but good one. And from Maxpedition you have the 10" by 4" bottle holder and the 12" by 5" bottle holder. Both of these have pouches on the outside of them and they can be Molled, put on a belt or shoulder strap.

It would be my spare bottle, which is typically unused/empty space.

crashdive123
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Sarge - Move to General Survival

RichNH
01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Actually, putting it in a spare water bottle is a great idea, its waterproof and gives you a one point, black box approach to your survival kit. If you actually have to break into it then you also have another water bottle, most of the items will now go into use or your pockets. I think its a good idea!

Stairman
01-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Maybe an aluminum bottle would be better.You could boil water or stew in it while you lay everything else out on your garbage bag.

Leighman
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Both Dick's Sporting Goods & The Boy Scouts of America sell kits like this already made up in a wide-mouthed water bottle.:cool:

I just saw a few of those and the contents were (unfortunately) of pretty poor quality.

While a neat "starting point" for some folks, I would definitely recommend "buidling" over "buying."

swampmouse
02-17-2009, 02:13 AM
I like quart paint cans from the paint store or HD, Lowes or Auto paint supply. Use cn for a quick stove.