PDA

View Full Version : one match

wareagle69
12-06-2008, 08:35 AM
well since this is the preparedness section i think i will talk a little bit about conserving your supplies, my wife is a very thrifty and frugal woman i have learned much from her my train of thought can be like this" but honey its only three dollars" but what is the saying a penny saved is a penny earned
so to the point here, i have heard many a time about getting a fire going with only one match which i am fortunate enough that i start about 200 fires a year so i have gotten preety good at one match or no match fires i always use my firesteel outside and a match inside those are the wifes rules so i must live by them even though it is a brick and cement basement
my latest fun thing to do in the morning is not to use a match but to take a coal from last night and cradle it in some birch bark and coax it back to life, i usually harvest birch bark on my forays into the bush as they all seem to die at a certain age around here and become widow makers so i push them over and use the bark for firestarting.i figure this may come in handy if when out in the bush i need to conserve my mathces or firesteel by just owning the skill of starting a fire with a coal my next trick will be to carry that ember all day then start a fire from it, thanks for reading my ramblings

Sourdough
12-06-2008, 09:11 AM
I use straw from the barn that has been used, but not abused, to rekindle the morning fire.

rebel
12-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know this for a fact but, I heard the mushroom that grows on the side of a tree will hold a coal all day.

wareagle69
12-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't know this for a fact but, I heard the mushroom that grows on the side of a tree will hold a coal all day.

yup on dead birch trees it is a fungus i may try that today another big snowstorm rolling thru so the warriorzenwareagle is going out to play

canid
12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
it's not only the birch polypore that is suitable, but ganodermas [commonly known as conks or bear's bread] and Trametes [the turkytails] form embers well. relatively dry but punky wood also does as most of us know.

if the wood is large, or not dry, i use something fine and as dry as can be found for kindling. on the property this is often yonger, thin eucalyptus bark.

if i have fire dried, charred wood i use that to help start fuel wood when it is there and if there is any ember left, any charcoal also left can be all it takes. the most important lesson i've learned about it is that unless it's been completely drenched, a fire is so much easier to restart than to start anew.

crashdive123
01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Sarge - Move to General Survival