PDA

View Full Version : live mouse trap

blowgunsgalore
12-05-2008, 06:13 PM
i got a havahart mouse trap and it catches every time. I even caught a bird in it.I think this would be a good investment for your packs

crashdive123
12-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Why? It's a bit big compared to snap traps and afterall, you're going to kill it before you eat it.

snakeman
12-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Crash is right, A dead fall and snare can be made from merely anything in the bush, probably just as affective, and more humane by crushing the prey.

crashdive123
12-05-2008, 07:15 PM
The reason I posted what I did was that I have used multiple catch live traps before (work related). They are relatively large. They are very effective but..........mice are naturally curious (unlike rats which are neophobic). If mice are the intended prey, a 50 cent wooden Victor Mouse Trap works well. So will the $25 multiple catch live trap, but if I'm putting it in my pack, it's gonna be the mouse trap. Also, as I said in my previous post....I don't see the point in catching it live only to kill it for dinner later.

Ole WV Coot
12-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I guess if you like your chow extra rare might be worth it. Deadfalls flatten the sucker out for an instant sandwich, if you can't find any decent roadkill. Possum is the other white meat, even comes with a carrying handle and will serve a party of four.

AKS
12-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Pict seemed to think that it would be better to catch as much small game and birds as you can and keep them alive til you are ready to prepare them so the meat doesn't spoil. He has a good point. Also, if you catch it live you can let it go if you end up not needing it. An example would be if you got picked up late from a hunting trip in the interior of Alaska. You don't know how late the ride is going to be so you catch some birds and squirrels to supplement the food supplies you brought with you. Lets say the plane shows up the next day. Now you can release anything you didn't eat. Pict has a simple design for a live trap somewhere around here.

Runs With Beer
12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Pict seemed to think that it would be better to catch as much small game and birds as you can and keep them alive til you are ready to prepare them so the meat doesn't spoil. He has a good point. Also, if you catch it live you can let it go if you end up not needing it. An example would be if you got picked up late from a hunting trip in the interior of Alaska. You don't know how late the ride is going to be so you catch some birds and squirrels to supplement the food supplies you brought with you. Lets say the plane shows up the next day. Now you can release anything you didn't eat. Pict has a simple design for a live trap somewhere around here.

Arapuca Live Bird Trap. by Pict.

crashdive123
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Good point on having a stock of live, fresh food. Pict made a great trap I was thinking more along the lines of putting a trap in a pack. Besides, don't want to be accused of being a rancher.:D

crashdive123
12-06-2008, 09:53 PM
It may not work for mice unless it is made with very tiny gaps. Mice can squeeze through an opening about the size of a dime. Rats would probably tear it up. Both can gnaw through the wood or string.

Stairman
12-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Squirrils are better to eat,and easier to catch then dirty rats.

MCBushbaby
12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a rat in the wilderness. They seem to me like garbage dwellers and city squatters. But yes, squirrels are remarkably easy to catch... snare or mechanical trap.

I always find humans are the easiest to trap.

"hey there! you dropped this"
"what's that? Oh, that's not mi--"
*club*

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a rat in the wilderness.
Fairly prevalent in tropical settings.

Stairman
12-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I know the countless hours of sitting in a climber hunting Ive seen thousands of squrrils and maybe one mouse.....squirril is sure hard to spell is this even right?

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Here ya go – squirrel.