PDA

View Full Version : My Blog

DOGMAN
12-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey check out my blog http://yellowstonedogsledding.blogspot.com/
its new and I am going to make it a great resource for winter stuff for my region

crashdive123
12-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Nice blog Jason. Why not put it as part of your signature? That way we can see it easier every time you post..........and you just know that Sarge or Rick will edit this post.:D

DOGMAN
12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
It is a commerical type of blog...but, I am going to expand on that and make it more about winter camping, dogsledding, snowshoeing, yellowstone wildlife watching etc...

I do have a web site for my biz, if you want to go full on commercial! LOL

crashdive123
12-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Reading about Lacey and the Junior Iditirod, and remembering you talking about maybe racing in it......realistically how much $$$ does it take to compete? I watched the show on Discovery about it, and it don't look cheap.

DOGMAN
12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
I think Lacey's family is planning on it costing about $12-15,000 if I remember the conversation correctly
She is doing much of the financing herself through fund raising, selling puppies and other assorted stuff

Sourdough
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Crash, You can rent a team for $50,000.00 to $70,000.00 and just go for the gusto.

DOGMAN
12-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Reading about Lacey and the Junior Iditirod, and remembering you talking about maybe racing in it......realistically how much $$$ does it take to compete? I watched the show on Discovery about it, and it don't look cheap.

A little more on this....

It is really tough to say how much it costs to run the Iditarod. There are so many variables. I have a friend who lives down the road that I train with sometimes, and he ran the Iditarod a few years ago, and he figures it cost him about $20,000. But, that was factoring in the wages he missed from work (approx 1 month of missed work) The gas to drive all the way there from MT and back, motels along the drive, food, etc... As well as entry fees, special stuff just for the race that he had to get, etc...
That does not factor in maintaining a kennel of about 36 dogs year around, and all the gear he already had.

Another buddy of mine that lives in Lincoln, MT who has run it about 10 times, says it cost him $8,000 to run it. But, he carpools up there with another musher in a big truck with huge dog trailer, and they camp the entire way up and back- plus they cook most of their meals along the way. Plus, he travels a lot lighter in general. Also, he is a professional musher, so he doesn't "lose" money going up there, he usually makes money in that race, plus he adds to his reputation which increases how much he can sell his dogs and puppies for. So, for him the expense is well worth it.

For me, I figure it would cost about $25,000 to run it next year. However, I am looking at things in a different way lately. Honestly with a new born son to provide for and a nation that is in the midst of a huge recession, I think I'll be putting my Iditarod dreams on the back burner for a while, and just try to focus on putting food on the table.

crashdive123
01-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Sarge - Move this to General Chat

dougz
01-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Some nice pics!