PDA

View Full Version : For our non military members

DEET
09-08-2007, 04:43 AM
First of all if you don't know me I'm a veteran with a survival school that being said I want to ask our non vet members a few questions that came to my mind during a role playing excersise we did here to help me with my students. Please be honest with your answers I'm trying to better understand my students without singling them out in class.

1) Do you feel your bug out/in kit should contain anti personnell equipment (rifles, handguns, pepper spray, tank, bazooka:D )

2) If in a group would you be able to follow orders from someone with more experience even if you personally don't like them.

3) To what lengths would you go to keep you and/or your family safe and healthy?

4) Last question, if you had an injured companion would you leave them to die if were the only way you could survive?

Thanks in advance for your responses they are greatly appreciated and remeber please be totally honest, also no argueing over someones response it's important I get honest feelings.

Sarge47
09-08-2007, 08:33 AM
First of all if you don't know me I'm a veteran with a survival school that being said I want to ask our non vet members a few questions that came to my mind during a role playing excersise we did here to help me with my students. Please be honest with your answers I'm trying to better understand my students without singling them out in class.

1) Do you feel your bug out/in kit should contain anti personnell equipment (rifles, handguns, pepper spray, tank, bazooka:

2) If in a group would you be able to follow orders from someone with more experience even if you personally don't like them.

3) To what lengths would you go to keep you and/or your family safe and healthy?

4) Last question, if you had an injured companion would you leave them to die if were the only way you could survive?

Thanks in advance for your responses they are greatly appreciated and remeber please be totally honest, also no argueing over someones response it's important I get honest feelings.

Or should I call you "insect repellent"?:D here's my answers to your questions as a "non-military" person.

1.) Depends on the situation. Carrying a gun in the wrong area could get you in trouble. Bear/pepper spray is okay as is a squirt gun filled with rubbing alcohol. I carry a small spray can of 100% Deet, so that might also work as a deterrent to somebody or large animal.:eek:

2.) Yes.

3.) Whatever it takes, hope I don't have to shoot anyone, can't speak for my wife though.:rolleyes:

4.) I can't answer that.

Welcome back Wolf. Glad I hung around too.;) If you want to join us in the thread "survival scenario #2" I'can write you in as someone who was knocked out and comes to later so you can be involved. Let us know. I think your abilities as a survival instructor might be good here.

wareagle69
09-08-2007, 10:29 AM
me and fvr got into this a little truth was scary

1- always have at least a handgun(not leagal in canada) but i am an american.

2 i do not really go out in a group i can't tolerate ppl that much, if someone was more experienced would i follow yes, but if i din't like them then probably not, if i can't respect you i sure ain't goona follow you.

3 there are no limits on what i would do to protect my wife.

4 i would probably leave anyone to die except my wife see above.

of course i am a military man so i have already been in situations where it was me or them and i'm sitting here typing soo...

FVR
09-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeh.

I have to agree with WE.

#4 is tricky. I do not except the scenario of leaving one behind easily. If I can carry you, you're going.

If you have the mindset of failure and defeat, adios, you gonna die. If you try, I will try.

Example, if you're a real prick, you've not communicated, worked with, or helped the group, have a good day.

If you are like WE and many here, I will drop my gear and carry your *** as will others, if they don't and we live, we gonna have a talk.

owl_girl
09-08-2007, 05:00 PM
1.)Maybe pepper spray
2.)So long as there orders are logical and they are calm and trust worthy I can put my personal feeling aside. But there are limits to how far I’d follow.
3.)I’d give my life, but I would not kill or torture anyone…which you guys already know
4.)It would probably depend on how likely they are to survive if I stay, how much adrenaline is going through me, and how much I know them. That would really hurt leaving someone in that situation but if it was unlikely for them to survive even if I stayed then I would have to leave.

nell67
09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
#4 is easy for me,I live by the you go we go mentality if you are injured or dying I'm staying with you if I cant carry/drag you out with me I may get killed trying to save you,so be it,I said it before If you dont survive we dont survive,I dont care if I dont know you,God put me with you for a reason,it may just have been that you are not alone when you cross over to the other side,and it may also be that my job is to save you.

As for 1,2,&3 gun,yes,and yes I would kill someone to save my family/friends if need be.

owl_girl
09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
#4 is easy for me,I live by the you go we go mentality if you are injured or dying I'm staying with you if I cant carry/drag you out with me I may get killed trying to save you,so be it,I said it before If you dont survive we dont survive,I dont care if I dont know you,God put me with you for a reason,it may just have been that you are not alone when you cross over to the other side,and it may also be that my job is to save you.

What if that person doesn’t want you to stay/die? If I’m dying and I know you would die if you stayed then I’d want you to go.

wareagle69
09-08-2007, 06:31 PM
am i to understand that question #4 is the person critically injured and trying to save said person would result in your own demise.

if i was hurt to that extreme i would not let anyone else perish trying to save me. if trying to save one results in both deaths i do not see the point in that. i understand "leave no man behind" and all that but if there is a mission to accomplish then i will complete my objective no matter the cost. if out in the field on an adventure and my companion becomes critically injured, to me the quicker i can reach help the better, no sense killing both of us and having two grieving widows, maybe selfish and insensitive of me, but i can live with that.

DEET
09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
am i to understand that question #4 is the person critically injured and trying to save said person would result in your own demise.

Yes the person is criticaly injured and is sure to die (let's say severe trauma and blood loss) if you stay with them you are both goners.

Thanks to everyone so far for your answers

Hey Sarge my handle is a funny story, when we were deployed one time my parents sent me a care package of about fifty cans of deet bug repellent and I was handing them out like candy to all the guys so they started calling me deet and the name just stuck.

I'd like to join your scenerio but I don't have much time right now to play on the computer, besides my regular job as an electrician I'm also teaching and writing a workbook at the same time. You can pencil me in and I'll get on-line at least once a day to stay up to date.

FVR
09-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Yes the person is criticaly injured and is sure to die (let's say severe trauma and blood loss) if you stay with them you are both goners

Only way I would stay; If it was one of my kids or if it was only my wife and I. If it was my wife, the kids, and myself, I would not jep. my wife or kids life for me, I would not jep. my kids life for my wife.

THIS QUESTION JUST TOTALLY SUCKS!

Sarge47
09-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Yes the person is criticaly injured and is sure to die (let's say severe trauma and blood loss) if you stay with them you are both goners.

Thanks to everyone so far for your answers

Hey Sarge my handle is a funny story, when we were deployed one time my parents sent me a care package of about fifty cans of deet bug repellent and I was handing them out like candy to all the guys so they started calling me deet and the name just stuck.

I'd like to join your scenerio but I don't have much time right now to play on the computer, besides my regular job as an electrician I'm also teaching and writing a workbook at the same time. You can pencil me in and I'll get on-line at least once a day to stay up to date.

Okay, will do! You've suffered a nasty bump on the head and Owl-girl is applying cold compresses to your thick skull. Right now RiM, also an electrician, btw, is trying to cannabalize the radio, battery, & wiring out of the wrecked plane. Perhaps you could help out once your on your feet?;)

Chris
09-08-2007, 10:58 PM
For #2 experience in what?

Experience in survival, or experience in leading groups in survival? Leadership experience is relatively unique and someone who is experienced in a task isn't always going to be the best equipped to lead others. It isn't always a direct correlation anyways.

FVR
09-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Respect is earned not given.

Many a NCO, SNCO, and Officer has learned such lessons.

Sarge47
09-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Uh, FVR, TRAX, Wareagle, Chris, I believe the question was directed to us "NON-MILITARY types". All's I can say guys is: "Blow in my ear & I'll follow you anywhere!";) (It's a joke, okay?) This bit about leaving someone to die reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago and wish I could post here, but it's not a very clean one.:rolleyes:

Aquila
09-09-2007, 01:45 AM
1) Do you feel your bug out/in kit should contain anti personnell equipment (rifles, handguns, pepper spray, tank, bazooka )

1. Depends upon the laws and conditions in the local area. Pepper Spray or Bear Spray is a must, though.
2. Absolutely. Unless their "experience" had shown them to be a complete idiot. A winning personality doesn't necessarily help keep me alive.
3. Anything that didn't violate my ethical code. If you're asking, "Would I steal to feed my starving child?" the answer is no.
4. How injured? If he has zero chance of living, I'd probably go (unless it was my child). If he's just hurt, I'd take my chances staying with him.

texasboy
09-09-2007, 10:44 AM
1. Yes
2. Depends
3. I would go very far.
4. Depends on the person and the injury.

aussieboy
09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
1) Do you feel your bug out/in kit should contain anti personnell equipment (rifles, handguns, pepper spray, tank, bazooka ).

Sure why not? Pepper spray & bazooka's seem a little extreme, I guess some archery gear would come in handy for game.

Yep, same as your work place; part of the exercise.

If you were to rate this on a chart out of 10, definately 10.

Pretty frank, I would calculate the situation before saying bye like that, people have done this on Mt Everest.

owl_girl
09-09-2007, 12:01 PM
people have done this on Mt Everest.
Mt Everest, yea that was one of the scenarios i was thinking of.

FVR
09-09-2007, 01:53 PM
The problem with those on climbing Everest is that they are un-intentionally trying to survive. They all paid thousands of dollars to be taken up the mnt., for them to just walk by a dying person is just UNSAT!

Their selfish need for a gratification to climg a mnt. rather than save a life.

That is not even up for debate. Those that walk by a dying person to get to the top are scum. Hope they got their moneys worth.

Many a child journeys
this high to be different.

To get from here what their natures
couldn't get them below.

lt comes to nothing.

owl_girl
09-09-2007, 02:11 PM
The problem with those on climbing Everest is that they are un-intentionally trying to survive. They all paid thousands of dollars to be taken up the mnt., for them to just walk by a dying person is just UNSAT!

Their selfish need for a gratification to climg a mnt. rather than save a life.

That is not even up for debate. Those that walk by a dying person to get to the top are scum. Hope they got their moneys worth.
Not up but down, I haven’t heard of anyone walking past a dying person on there way up and leaving him, but I have heard of people walking down and they themselves were near death and weren’t sure they were going to make it and almost didn’t have enough strength to walk much less carry the person and they knew that person would be dead by the time they got help and if they staid with him they would die too. I’m not saying its right or wrong I’m just saying I wouldn’t judge them for it.
If there traveling up on the other hand obviously they have enough strength to help him and if they don’t then I’d judge them for that.

Fog_Harbor
09-09-2007, 04:07 PM

1) Do you feel your bug out/in kit should contain anti personnell equipment (rifles, handguns, pepper spray, tank, bazooka:D )

1) I think every citizen should be armed, but I'd prefer to hide my stores than have to defend them. Even in a worst case scenario, I don't want to have to decide whether or not to take someone's life. I quit the Police Department for that very reason.

2) It would depend solely on my faith in that person's abilities. I've known too many people in my life who had loads of experience, and were in leadership positions, that I wouldn't trust with my dog, nevermind my life or that of my family's. Mostly because I didn't trust their decision making abilities, not because I didn't like them. Contrarily, I know a few people I can't personally stand that I would follow into South Central LA with cash hanging out of my pockets.

3) If I HAD to kill you to protect my family, I would without a second thought. But again, it's not a decision I want to have to make. The best plan for us is to stay out of harms way to begin with.

4) If there were no other option, yes.

Sarge47
09-09-2007, 04:22 PM

My original response to #4 was inconclusive.. I suppose I would'nt leave until after said person died, then, depending on how the food situation looked...:rolleyes:

owl_girl
09-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Pepper spray & bazooka's seem a little extreme
How is pepper spray extreme? I carried that stuff when I was 8…I lived in a bad neighborhood.

But unfortunately my mommy never let me carry a bazooka lol ;)

Sarge47
09-09-2007, 07:20 PM
How is pepper spray extreme? I carried that stuff when I was 8…I lived in a bad neighborhood.

But unfortunately my mommy never let me carry a bazooka lol ;)

Isn't that a brand of Bubble-gum? I think the old WWII jobs bit it awhile back and they went to LOV's. Today they got something even more powerful...Know where I can buy one?:rolleyes:

sticks65
09-17-2007, 12:41 PM
1] yes 2] yes 3] i would go to any lenths for my family 4] depending on the situation.

Beo
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Kinda old and I'm kinda late but here goes. Oh and I'm a Vet, sorry but the civilians don't get all the fun.
1) Do you feel your bug out/in kit should contain anti personnell equipment (rifles, handguns, pepper spray, tank, bazooka )
Gun yes.

As long as I feel he's knwledgable in survival and leading us out.

Any.

If it the Wife or Son, I'm staying. If its me I'd give them instructions and directions and send them on their way. If its someone I don't know, if I can't save them the I'm not staying, no sense in both of us dying I'll learn to live it and send the authorities to get the body. But if I can apply a tourniquet then I'll toss you over my shoulder and hump you out.

Beo
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
yeah those are good questions.

bulrush
03-06-2008, 04:01 PM
First, I've never been in the military.

Oh crap, this is a really old thread.

In general yes. If there is no law, there are no police to help you. It takes the police 3-5 minutes, minimum to get there during the best of times, and a bullet takes a fraction of a second to kill you. So yes, I need some type of gun.

If he can keep my a$$ alive, I can follow orders. If he's a poor leader (has a bad temper, not sure of what to do, bad judgement, doesn't take other's experience seriously) he/she needs to be replaced. As a leader you need to hear all options and experiences from all people, then make an informed decision. If you limit your judgement to your own experience, you limit your chances of success.

I'll prepare as much as I can: store food, buy water filter, learn new skills. But I won't break the law AFAIK.

There is always some way to help them, or send for help, I just have to find a way. I'm sure I won't have to do leave them.

Ok, now you're going to tell us this was a psych profile to ID the sociopath profile, right? :)

canid
03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
1. depends on the scenario. if i'm likely to need it, you bet. if it serves other uses [anti-predator, anti-game] aswell; all the more likely.

2. if i trust their motives and their experience, you bet. even if i don't like them, i salute the man, so to speak, never the uniform and i know i don't always know best.

3. i would rip somebody's arm off and beat them with it or swallow my pride to lick a goat's hind end to protect my loved ones if there where no other choice. on the other hand; i find that 'no other choice' is most often a self fulfilling scenario.

4. i would never leave somebody to die or suffer for my own sake, even if it meant i would probably not survive otherwise. where there's a will, there's often enough a way and nobody should die or suffer alone when there's an able person to give aid or comfort. can't say i'd expect others to agree; it's just what i believe.

[edit: also, holy thread necromancy batman...]

trax
03-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Number one, pack a gun...all the rest, what the meat sprocket dude said.

Daren
03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Question #4.

Let's change the scenario from everest to a society collapse. Now you are not trying to get to safety because no where is safe. You are just trying to survive.
Your injured buddy might not die for hours or days but still is doomed. You have decided to leave him but do you leave him to die or do you kill him yourself before someone / thing gets to him before he dies?

I don't believe I could abandon him to a worse than death fate but this is fantasy. I might collapse under pressure but then I might have grown a pair and do what needs doing.

FVR
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
If he's my buddy, he ain't getting left behind. Period.

I don't buy into "theres no hope."

I couldn't kill my buddy, I'll just carry his arse. If he by chance dies while in my care or on my back, at least he will cross over knowing that FVR, does not leave his buddies behind.

Hey, but I don't count cause a freak'n MARINE!

On your face, give me 20!

canid
03-06-2008, 07:52 PM
i had a dream a few years back where an injured friend asked me to kill him [by decapitation]. i suddenly had a sword in my hand. it proved to be more trouble than i expected and took more than one try, all the while he was b*tching at me that i was doing it all wrong.

nell67
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
If he's my buddy, he ain't getting left behind. Period.

I don't buy into "theres no hope."

I couldn't kill my buddy, I'll just carry his arse. If he by chance dies while in my care or on my back, at least he will cross over knowing that FVR, does not leave his buddies behind.

Hey, but I don't count cause a freak'n MARINE!

On your face, give me 20!

FVR,I agree with you 100%

Ole WV Coot
03-07-2008, 12:20 AM
This sounds very familiar and it took awhile to remember. I am positive every question was on my last job application. I even grew rather fond of the smell of tear gas in the morning.

Catfish
03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Interesting thread.

I don't own a tank or a bazooka, and wouldn't know how to operate them if I did. However, I'm a firm believer that anything which 'might' be useful is a valuable addition to the bug out/in kit, (which is why I lean towards the bug in option) so yes to the other 3.

Here's an "it depends". It depends on why I don't like them. Do I disagree with their politics, or their views on the Denver Broncos, do they drink lite beer, or are they merely annoying in some other way? Or do I dislike them because they're hot-tempered or irrational, dishonest, prejudiced or careless? In other words, do I dislike them because they have personality traits that could be dangerous to me or others in the group? Experience is invaluable, but it doesn't in and of itself, a good leader make.

If we're in a true SHTF scenario then the the laws of the land don't apply. I'll feel no guilt about lying or stealing to get my family through. I'll never purposely hurt anyone unless they're a threat to me or mine, but otherwise, the gloves come off. Hey, I've kept library books out past the due date - I've already lived outside the law.

I would never leave anyone to die. If they were absolutely, positively going to croak, and if they were in great pain, I'd consider putting a bullet behind their ear to make things easier for them. If getting them to safety was an option, even if an unrealistic one, then I'd do whatever I could. Otherwise, I'd make myself comfortable and tell them stories until it was over. If that means I die too then ah well, I'll (probably) die eventually anyway.

Rick
03-07-2008, 03:14 PM
(taking notes) Catfish has kept library books past the due date.

I don't think we need your kind of radical around these parts, Catfish. We're civilized folks.:rolleyes:

wildWoman
03-07-2008, 08:35 PM
#1 - don't have a bug out/in bag but I carry bear spray in the summer. We generally don't have weirdos in the woods. But there's a few people in town I might be tempted to spray.
#2 - probably not if I find them really annoying. I don't do groups anyway, I'm a crusty loner.
#3 - depends. Made myself unpopular already amongst the miners because I find clean drinking water preferable to getting Joe Blow's new truck financed.
#4 - no. I'd still like to be able to look at myself in the mirror without shame after.

Catfish
03-08-2008, 01:10 AM
(taking notes) Catfish has kept library books past the due date.

I don't think we need your kind of radical around these parts, Catfish. We're civilized folks.:rolleyes:
Aww man, did I put that stuff about the library books in my post? When will I ever learn.

Assassin Pilot
03-08-2008, 11:49 AM
1) A handgun at most. I'm usually not big on carrying guns around when I don't need to (the cops can take away my green card for stuff like that)

2) Yeah, as long as they weren't being an a**hole or anything.

3) To keep them alive, I would easily kill someone. To keep them just healthy, I wouldn't do anything too illegal besides steal. To keep them safe, I would stay up all night w/ a shotgun in my lap

4) If it was a good friend or family member, I would try to carry them out with me, unless I know they will be able to live long enough for me to get proper support. If I knew that absolutely I were to die as well if I tried that, I would run. If it would be any old Joe who I barely know, I would save my own skin the best I could.

Nwwoodsman
05-31-2008, 12:19 AM
#1 never a gun, I'd probably shoot my self:rolleyes: some bear spray could come in hand tho

#2 If I respect them, I will follow them even if I don't like them, but if I don't have confidence in them or they are just being an azzhole... they can go to he**

#3 Almost anything if it did not involve killing many people or cousing a lot of pain or destruction. somtimes you gotta look at the big picture ya know?

#4 If they were gonna die for sure, than yes. if there was even a little chance than I would have to make a split second decision. If me staying coused other members of my group to die or get hurt bad, then I would leave.

Flavor Bear
05-31-2008, 12:37 AM
1.) Yes, but something discreet and easy to carry. Mine has an AR-7 in it.

2.) Yes, but if that's not to say I wouldn't question them at every turn. I am confident enough in my own survival skills that I would need to make damn sure somebody giving me orders knew what they were talking about.

3.) I would do anything possible.

4.) It would really depend on who they were and what the situation was. If they possessed skills valuable enough to go the trouble of treating them and hauling them around, then I would see to it that they made it.

Buddha443556
05-31-2008, 02:42 AM
1) Do you feel your bug out/in kit should contain anti personnel equipment (rifles, handguns, pepper spray, tank, bazooka:D )

Yes.

I can follow orders from someone more experienced (or even less) however if I don't like them there's probably a real good reason. You have to be a real piece of **** for me to actually bother to dislike you. One of us has to go. Kind of wondering how I got stuck with this group already. :rolleyes:

Any.

Companion is rather vague but if they're not family (a group not necessarily related by blood in my mind) then probably wouldn't leave them behind alive either. I'll be sure to toast them next St. Patrick Day for saving my ***. Family however isn't left behind unless that's the way they want it (it's taken a month sitting in ICU to add that conditional clause).

RBB
05-31-2008, 04:37 AM

1: Due to my line of work there would likely be at least a pistol and shotgun.

2: Yes.

3: I believe a person has a right to defend themselves. I don't believe a person has a right to murder others. There is a line there.

4: No.

Rick
05-31-2008, 12:50 PM
1. Yes.
2. Yes. If he knew what he was doing. My feelings are secondary to the survival of the group.
3. What ever it takes to defend.
4. Nope. Leaving someone behind speaks to your moral compass, I think. I'd suck it up and hang tough with them. Who knows, maybe with help they can recover.

warman87
05-31-2008, 02:55 PM

1) yes but depending on what i expect i would take the proper protection
2)yes but i wouldnt like it
3)any length
4)yes unless it was my family

Arkansas_Ranger
05-31-2008, 03:01 PM

1. Yes. I believe in personal defense although I don't take it to the extreme. I almost always am armed, but then it's part of my job to be.

2. Yes, I do it all the time, sadly.

3. Lethal force if necessary.

4. This is too open ended. I don't think anyone necessarily knows until they're faced with it. Been there yourself?

Rick
05-31-2008, 03:12 PM
WE - Can I assume if I were injured that you'd leave me? (sniff) I'd be toast? (sniff). Dang, bro., and I had the map to the highway. Oh well. (snort)

commoguy
05-31-2008, 05:04 PM

1. yes although i would use it as last resort not b/c of killing someone but b/c in a survival situation the last thing you need is a gsw.

2. yea lol as long as they are competent and open to ideas not just their own.

3. ill put it like this im a great person but if you ever want to see the dark side of me mess with my family. i guarantee that individual will have a very bad day.

4. like others have said its a very open ended question but no i wouldnt. slap a tourniquet on if possible make them as comfortable as possible and do everything in my power to get us out alive.

Tactical Tom
06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
1- Yes I always pack heat :D
2- Yes, I can get along with almost anyone :rolleyes:
3- I would DIE for my Family !
4- If it's close family (father,Mother,Brother wife,kids etc...) Then Yes I would be by their side! If it's a co-worker, neighbor etc... then I must go on !:cool:

Tahyo
06-02-2008, 07:31 AM

1.) Yes and does.

2.) In general, yes.

3.) There are no limits.

4.) Like someone else said, this one is too open ended. The short answer is if a family member, nope.

BIG TONE
06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
1.dont Have 1 Yet
2.90% Chance
3.any Length
4.i Would Carry Them Out But Not Leave Them

Riverrat
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
1. Yes
2. Most times, if they made sense to me.
3. Whatever is necessary
4. Would depend on who the companion is.

Ken
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
1. Yes. No question about it.

2. A qualified yes. What kind of experience? What was the outcome? What's his true agenda? What kind of a leader is he? Are members of the group expendable? Does he pass the common sense test? Is that a cliff he's about to walk over? What are my other options?

3. There is NOTHING I wouldn't do if necessary to keep my family and close friends safe.

4. It depends on many many factors. Is it family or a close friend? Or is it some sh*tbum who has no redeeming social value? Would it only place MY life at risk and not others? How bad is the injury? Example: Only two of us on a plane - fuel is almost gone - impossible to land - he had a heart attack and is unconscious but still barely breathing - there is only one parachute and I still have enough time to get out ..... :confused: