PDA

View Full Version : dogs for hunting?

GreatWhiteHunter
11-29-2008, 02:59 PM
what does everyone think about using dogs for hunting in survival situations? do you thinks its a birden?or is it a good thing?please answer in.thank you!!!:D:D:D:D

crashdive123
11-29-2008, 03:04 PM
When you ask "hunting in a survival situation" exactly what do you mean?

Rick
11-29-2008, 03:05 PM
And how do you plan to cook them?

GreatWhiteHunter
11-29-2008, 03:08 PM
when you are lost and are in need of food,would it be any good to use dogs to gather your food?

Sourdough
11-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Nothing about dogs is a "BIRDEN". They are wonderful people.

Rick
11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
My bad. I thought we were eating the dogs. Sorry.

Sourdough
11-29-2008, 03:12 PM
when you are lost and are in need of food,would it be any good to use dogs to gather your food?

I just gotta ask, Why would a "Great White Hunter" need help getting food...?

nell67
11-29-2008, 03:13 PM
GWH,first off,don't put yourself in a situation to be/get lost.

Second,if the dogs are well trained to hunt/gather food,then yea,I suppose so,if they are not,they would probably become food :eek: as they will probably scare away whatever you may be hunting.

crashdive123
11-29-2008, 03:14 PM
If I'm lost in the woods and with my dog and get hungry.....I'm just following the dog out of there.......smart dog!

DOGMAN
11-29-2008, 04:02 PM
It depends on the dog. If it is a trained hunting dog then it wouldn't be a burden, it would be an asset. But, if it just some goofy mutt that has nothing to contribute- eat him. Because its a liablity if you have to scrounge for food for the both of you

Ole WV Coot
11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
A good hunting dog will save ammo. I had a great one for squirrels until he got old and couldn't see well, he could look up a tree and just grin and after a minute or so the squirrel would fall out. After his eyesight went I saw him grinnin' up a tree for a lot longer than usual and checked on him. That poor blind dog had grinned the bark off a big knot he took for a squirrel, had to put him down and that was a shame. When he was a pup he would outrun a rabbit and be waiting at it's hole to grab it. Shame he was the last of his breed.

klkak
11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
When my Bandit was younger he was a real good hunter. He just wasn't very good at sharing. When I would take him camping or hunting I never took food for him. Now as much as I love that dog. If it were a matter of eating or starving I have no qualms to killing and eating him. Meat is meat...,

Rick
11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Coot - What ARE we to do with you?

Bandit growling at Klkak - You bring me out in the middle of nowhere with no food. I finally manage to scrounge something up to eat and you want me to share it? I got your share it right here palsy. They're called canines. Step a little closer.

Tuckahoe
12-25-2008, 10:20 PM
A cur dog in my opinion would be the best all around dog for a survival situation. They are top notch tree dogs. They are squirrel dog by day coon dog by night they are protective and will hunt almost everything from squirrels to deer and even wild hogs. Ever see the movie Old Yeller? Disney used a lab for making the movie but the dog in the book was a yellow cur dog.

Stony
01-01-2009, 11:17 PM
two facts about dogs:
1) the ARE the better people;
2) if the ownwer know nothing, how can the dog learn anything useful?

that said: a smaller hunting dog (Springer Spaniel) does the trick.
a larger dog (Airedale, Pitbull, Doberman, Lab) keeps the riff-raff out of camp.

Nickjames
01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Another con to this is, (although i wouldnt want to be in this situation) if you where lost somewhere and trying to gather food with a dog. Wouldn't you have to feed the dog aswell, and if the only thing you could find is a small fox, rabbit, ECT. that would split your portion of the meat. Just thinking out-loud.

Stairman
01-02-2009, 12:57 AM
A dog as a companion in a survival situation would be a great asset even if it wasent a hunter.I would gladly split my trapline supply with him/her.One thing I like about my dog,the later I get home the happier he is to see me.I wish the wife was that way.

ClovisMan
01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
two facts about dogs:
1) the ARE the better people;
2) if the ownwer know nothing, how can the dog learn anything useful?

that said: a smaller hunting dog (Springer Spaniel) does the trick.
a larger dog (Airedale, Pitbull, Doberman, Lab) keeps the riff-raff out of camp.Apparently you have never been down to Louisiana where they use pitbulls to run down deer and boar hogs. I've personally seen pitbulls latched on to 400-500lb hogs waiting for the calvary to show up and shoot. Those boys in La sure know how to train the hunting dogs.

ClayPick
01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I use my dogs in the fall to find deer trails. Any dog in the woods up here during big game season is target practice.

RBB
01-02-2009, 02:55 PM
what does everyone think about using dogs for hunting in survival situations? do you thinks its a birden?or is it a good thing?please answer in.thank you!!!:D:D:D:D

There is nothing like a well trained dog for hunting. The other asset is - they make a great foot warmer at night.

RunsWithDeer
01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
I use dogs for rabbit hunting, they do a great job of chasing the bunnies.
I have used dogs twice to help recover a deer that we lost the blood trail on, but the dogs have to be trained to do that, my rabbit hounds won't work.
I have duck hunted with dogs too, but they just retrieve, and that is something the hunter can do on his own.

So, I guess dogs can be useful in a survival situation too.

Alpine_Sapper
01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I use my dogs in the fall to find deer trails. Any dog in the woods up here during big game season is target practice.

Then I guess that makes the shooter target practice, too. Some people value the life of a dog more than a human. Dogs typically have more to offer. :)

ClayPick
01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I agree. Over the years we’ve had quite a problem with feral dogs. It’s the practice of the DNR and most hunters to shoot any dog running in the woods. A lot of folks will shoot a dog just because it’s on their property (farmers). My dogs are in the woods all year and I make it a practice to keep them within eyesight, for their own good and mine. I really don’t like to contemplate where I would go if someone killed one of my dogs for no reason.