PDA

View Full Version : Couscous

LudwigVan
11-29-2008, 01:03 AM
I've heard alot about this stuff in term of camping/survival food, could anyone give me more info? People have cooked it for me before and I loved it, I figure it would be great to get into the habit of introducing some new "side" dishes to eat while outdoors because I feel like I'm relying too much on beans, noodles and grits.

Any info is appreciated.

Sarge47
11-29-2008, 02:07 AM
I've heard alot about this stuff in term of camping/survival food, could anyone give me more info? People have cooked it for me before and I loved it, I figure it would be great to get into the habit of introducing some new "side" dishes to eat while outdoors because I feel like I'm relying too much on beans, noodles and grits.

Any info is appreciated.
The problem for me is that you've lumped both camping & survival together like they're the same thing, they're not! Camping food can consist of anything you're able to bring along,weather it be freeze-dried, MREs, food out of the freezer or cupboards, etc.. Survival food, on the other hand, is anything you can eat that doesn't kill you or make you puke your guts out...hopefully; like even your dog or your dead hunting partner (long pig). Survival food comes into play long after the camping food is gone, do you see what I'm getting at?:confused::cool:

Sourdough
11-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Couscous are very expensive. I paid $8.89 for a Quart size jar. They are very high in protein. To me they are cute little noodles, that go well with a can of cream of mushroom soup.

crashdive123
11-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I eat it quite often. It's just little tiny pasta "bb's". Comes in a box down here.

Rick
11-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I have yet to find anything that will flavor it. It's just blah to me. I've boiled and cooked that stuff in everything I can think of and it doesn't soak up any flavor. It's just there. I eat it but it's nothing special to me.

crashdive123
11-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I add parmasian cheese and a little chopped parsely to mine. Makes a nice side dish.

red lake
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Expensive? Not around here.

Great thing is it cooks in seconds, Add boiling water and in about 1 minute it is ready to eat. It is blah but you need to be creative to what you add to it.

For instance, you get a rabbit and want to make stew out of it. Make some couscous and pour the stew on top of it. Or cook it up with some foraged roots, mushrooms and dandelions. Salt will help lots too.

LudwigVan
11-29-2008, 03:45 PM
The problem for me is that you've lumped both camping & survival together like they're the same thing, they're not! Camping food can consist of anything you're able to bring along,weather it be freeze-dried, MREs, food out of the freezer or cupboards, etc.. Survival food, on the other hand, is anything you can eat that doesn't kill you or make you puke your guts out...hopefully; like even your dog or your dead hunting partner (long pig). Survival food comes into play long after the camping food is gone, do you see what I'm getting at?:confused::cool:

I see your point, but camping, backpacking and hunting is good training for survival. Of course they aren't the same thing but most of the things done camping will also be done in a survival situation.

What I did mean by it being survival food is that it might be a good BOB food. As far as my BOB goes, I try to keep a variety of things you can eat like they are such as MREs, tuna and spam packets, jerky, energy bars, etc. and things that require a little bit of preparation like mashed potatoes, instant oatmeal, grits, bannock, noodles, or beans. Couscous might or might now be a welcome addition, I'm thinking it would be because I like it and like red lake said because it cooks so quick, but I have never carried it out anywhere so for all I know it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

crashdive123
11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Nothing wrong at all with putting some in your kit/bag. There are a lot of items that will give you more nutrition/energy/whatever, so for me it would seem to be a better part of a bug in kit.

Rick
11-29-2008, 06:31 PM
You can put it in your BOB. Toss in some rabbit, a little wild garlic, some cattail, some oyster plant tubers, pick out all the couscous and you'll have a decent meal.

Arsey
11-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Classic.
Add lots of garlic and chopped onion and chopped tomato.
Just before you eat it put loads of chopped parsley, coriander, black pepper and Jalapenos to taste.
You can even run some cheese of your choice through it too.
Yum yum.

crashdive123
11-29-2008, 07:06 PM
What? No vegamite?

LudwigVan
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I like how all you have to do is boil water and stir it in, don't even leave it over a flame just put a lid on it.

Rick must've had a bad meal of it because I really didn't think it was that bland.

canid
12-01-2008, 03:18 AM
i buy it about $.50/lb. it's just little rolled pellets of semolina. it's great stuff and i've practically lived off of it at times.

i made some this evening for dinner as it turns out.

one of it's graces for the outdoors is that it can be cooked with little heating, you really only need to heat the water, add couscous [about 2-1] and cover. in a pinch, you can even just soak it in cold water about an hour

as to claims that it's not nutritious enough, it's well ballanced in carbs and protein, and by weight, a great choice. it is rather light though, so it takes up a fair bit of space per lb.

Arsey
12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
What? No vegamite?

Thankfully not. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention that the Arabs add raisins/sultanas and chopped almonds too.

wildWoman
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
You can make your own dehydrated meals, I tried it this summer and it works great, is leightweight and compact, tastes good and saves you lots of money - here's the thread with the discussion on it http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3343

crashdive123
01-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Sarge - Move to General Chat