PDA

View Full Version : Contest with Prizes

Chris
11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
... I want to encourage more use of the edible database system I had coded. I was hoping people would add stuff they've found etc, but maybe there needs to be more prompting.

So I was thinking to make it a contest. Each mushroom/plant you add you get one entry, then once a week (or two weeks, or something) I draw for a prize, the prize being say an autographed copy of les stroud's book (I'll be getting one). a gilly suit, a survival kit, a game dressing kit.

Is this something people would be interested in?

RangerXanatos
11-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Sounds like a fantastic idea! Just wish I knew wild edibles better. lol

nell67
11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Excellent idea Chris.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
sounds interesting and educational

trax
11-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds good Chris, I don't expect I'll be winning any prizes, but it's bound to improve my education

Rick
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Let's see. Free stuff. No free stuff. Free stuff. No free stuff. Yeah, I'm for the free stuff option. You bet.

RaymondPeter
11-24-2008, 10:22 PM
I think you may be onto something here. ;) lol

chiye tanka
11-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Love the idea, just wish I knew how to post stuff on that section.

trax
11-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Let's see. Free stuff. No free stuff. Free stuff. No free stuff. Yeah, I'm for the free stuff option. You bet.

You are such a pushover....

Rick
11-25-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm cheap. I can be bought. And I'm easy. What more could anyone ask for?

Tony uk
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm cheap. I can be bought. And I'm easy. What more could anyone ask for?

A bacon sandwhich, Made with only the finest cuts of meat. Drizzled with gods on necter, Brown Sauce Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :cool:

trax
11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I think Rick's question was rhetorical Tony, but uh yeah now that you mention it, I think I have to go make a sandwich now....

Rick
11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Coming from a guy that eats Haggis, I have no intention of asking what brown sauce is.

Hey, Tony. You can celebrate Thanksgiving, too. Have a great day!

Tony uk
11-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Coming from a guy that eats Haggis, I have no intention of asking what brown sauce is.

Hey, Tony. You can celebrate Thanksgiving, too. Have a great day!

Its a different kind of table sauce, some people like it instead of ketchup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

Also:- Thanks a bunch Rick, Happy thanksgiveing to you to mate, Have a good one :D

Rick
11-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Cool, similar to our A1 Sauce I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Steak_Sauce

trax
11-27-2008, 04:28 PM
See? if you'd said HP sauce, they are quite similar Rick A1 is a bit sharper and HP a bit "richer". The HP stands for house of Parliament! there's your trivia bit for the day.

Rick
11-27-2008, 09:52 PM
House of Parliament? Aren't those illegal in England and Canada? I think the only place they are legal in the States is Nevada. And I don't want to know why a sauce is named after them.

wildWoman
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I have stopped adding entries there because I still, for whatever reason, keep getting these annoying full screen ads that tick me off to no end (which I mentioned a while ago, when the plant base got started). I don't know if it's got something to do with my computer settings or what, but I really lost all motivation to use that part of the forum. Maybe other people have the same problem and that's why it's not getting used more?
So personally, I don't care about prizes, but if there's any way to get rid of these horrible ads, I'd be back on there and adding my two cents.

Rick
11-28-2008, 04:27 PM
WW - At the base of the add is a marker that says, "Skip Add". Just click on it and the add goes away. Same as the one at the start of forum if you've deleted cookies and log back on.

wareagle69
11-28-2008, 08:47 PM
well i must apoligize for not holding up my end forum and chris, i studied heavy for 18 months and suffered a bit of burn out also started night school so my attention has not been what it should my decembers resolution is to spend more time there.

Rick
11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Frankly, I'm not all that good on winter foraging. Just don't do a lot of it. I do okay in spring, summer and fall but not winter.

wareagle69
11-28-2008, 09:30 PM
actually rick allot of plants in the pasture i have not pulled on purpose so i can see what it looks like in the winter i have a nice chicory plant right out my big window and was just thinking about winter plants today

wildWoman
12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
WW - At the base of the add is a marker that says, "Skip Add". Just click on it and the add goes away. Same as the one at the start of forum if you've deleted cookies and log back on.

That's just too much ads on there for me. I don't go on websites where I have to spend time clicking obnoxious ads out of the way...sorry that sounds rather rude but it's the truth :rolleyes:
I never get any pop ups or stuff where I have to click "skip" to stop my eyes from being violated on this part of the forum.

Chris
12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
I can look into seeing if there is a way to remove those ads for logged in people, should be possible, it'll just require a little finagling programming wise.

Chris
12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Love the idea, just wish I knew how to post stuff on that section.
Rick posted a really nice sticky in this subforum, check it out.

Chris
12-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay, I think I fixed it. so, if you're logged in and you visit the edibles page, you'll not see any popups, popunders, full screen, etc ads.

wildWoman
12-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Okay, I think I fixed it. so, if you're logged in and you visit the edibles page, you'll not see any popups, popunders, full screen, etc ads.

YESSS...you did it!! Thanks Chris, what a relief :) :) :) Will be going back on there and adding things. Thank you!

wildWoman
12-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey Chris,

I was just thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a recipe section in the plant database. It might give people more ideas on how to actually prepare something tasty with wild edibles, or what sort of medicinal mixtures work well, how to make a salve etc.
I think for the most part, plant knowledge remains sort of abstract, unused and untested because it doesn't seem to have much of an application in daily life. If people had more info on what to do with plants, some tried and tested recipes, it might inspire more actual use.

crashdive123
12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey Chris,

I was just thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a recipe section in the plant database. It might give people more ideas on how to actually prepare something tasty with wild edibles, or what sort of medicinal mixtures work well, how to make a salve etc.
I think for the most part, plant knowledge remains sort of abstract, unused and untested because it doesn't seem to have much of an application in daily life. If people had more info on what to do with plants, some tried and tested recipes, it might inspire more actual use.

I like that idea. Even if it's a thread that you start and it gets stickyed. Great idea WW.

Chris
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey Chris,

Already thought of that, that'll be party two of the system.

The end idea being you can view a recipe, and then go look at the ingredients to see what they look like and where to find them. OR you can view a foragable and then see recipes on how to cook it.

Bush recipes anyways, I don't necessarily want to see "forage up some wild asparagus, saute with some butter and shallot, pour over medium rare tenderloin."

wildWoman
12-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Actually, I'd like to see both bush and table recipes (maybe in a 3:1 ratio?)...everybody goes out berry picking and makes all sorts of things with the berries at home. I think if you had a few really yummy recipes for other wild plants on there, people might start to look for those plants more often and utilize them at home as well. It just makes you so much more proficient and aware of plants, where to find them, what other plants will likely be close by, what animals feed on them etc if you are able to incorporate them more into your daily life, instead of mainly paying attention to them a few days a year on a camping trip or (worse) once in a lifetime in a survival situation.

crashdive123
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Sarge - Move to Site, Quiz, and Forum Feedback