PDA

View Full Version : Go Eat Some Bugs

FVR
09-05-2007, 10:57 PM
http://www.food-insects.com/book7_31/Chapter%2002%20N%20American%20Indigenous.htm

corndog-44
09-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Interesting article. I'm not much of a bug eater, but I have roasted and ate grasshoppers a number of times.

survivalhike
09-06-2007, 01:50 AM
I've read that the body can go for weeks without food as long as there is plenty of water. Heck, Christ went 40 days without food...I think I would have to go at least a couple weeks before bugs started looking tasty.

My friend from the Marines eats bugs for a laugh all the time. He trained himself to believe that he is eating potato chips. Mind over matter I guess.

mangyhyena
09-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Although fresh insects were available primarily from April to October, many accounts specify that insect foods were stored for later use, often in large quantities

So, how do you store them? I saw they mentioned drying them so they could be used as food in the winter months. But how would you go about doing that? I assume you have to kill the little critters first. What is the most efficient way to kill, say, 400 grasshoppers without damaging their carcasses too badly for easy prep and consumption?

And I guess if you ground up dried bugs and mixed with cornmeal or bread it wouldn't be too bad. How would you all prepare insects for consumption if times got so hard that you turned to them for food?

It sounded like the Native Americans drove insects to gatherers by walking in mass across fields toward the gatherers. Wonder if the gatherers has large nets .

Fog_Harbor
09-06-2007, 02:50 PM
So, how do you store them? I saw they mentioned drying them so they could be used as food in the winter months. But how would you go about doing that? I assume you have to kill the little critters first. What is the most efficient way to kill, say, 400 grasshoppers without damaging their carcasses too badly for easy prep and consumption?

And I guess if you ground up dried bugs and mixed with cornmeal or bread it wouldn't be too bad. How would you all prepare insects for consumption if times got so hard that you turned to them for food?

It sounded like the Native Americans drove insects to gatherers by walking in mass across fields toward the gatherers. Wonder if the gatherers has large nets .

Remember that for hunter-gatherers, it is a full time proccess. Killing them would be easy enough, put them in a basket and smoke them, or hold the basket under water for a few minutes, and dry them later. Once dried, you could keep them indefinately.

woodsey
09-06-2007, 06:16 PM
insects have more protiens and fats than most - woodsey......

FVR
09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I think I could eat a few grasshoppers, that's about it. I'm no grub guy. Any bug I eat will be cooked.

Sarge47
09-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I think I could eat a few grasshoppers, that's about it. I'm no grub guy. Any bug I eat will be cooked.

I like the 'really big bugs with the cottontails, also those with antlers, both have fur!:rolleyes:

wareagle69
09-06-2007, 11:35 PM
trust me boys(and girl) if you are hungry enough grubs and bugs will do just fine although i agree with what was said before that it is a mental thing how do you think and aborigine would react just coming out of the bush watching you eat a frozen hungry man chicken and cheese fries?

Sarge47
09-06-2007, 11:38 PM
trust me boys(and girl) if you are hungry enough grubs and bugs will do just fine although i agree with what was said before that it is a mental thing how do you think and aborigine would react just coming out of the bush watching you eat a frozen hungry man chicken and cheese fries?

As long as he leaves mine alone I got no problem with it!:D However, I do agree that if someone gets hungry enough they'll eat anything. I'll relate another story involving one of my brother's later on. Gotta run right now!:cool:

Fog_Harbor
09-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Me too, unless there is NO other option. I've used ants and crickets in stew type meals, but not just ready eat the live, squirming little darlings.

Tony uk
09-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Ive made some woodlice fritters before off of a insect cookbook and they where nice :)

nell67
09-11-2007, 03:49 PM
The bugs would definately be a last resort for me.