PDA

View Full Version : Survivor

RBB
11-23-2008, 06:58 AM
I don't, as a rule, watch much TV, and when I do, it is usually on the history channel, the military channel, or the news channel.

The other night, my wife was watching a TV show named "Survivor," so I watched it with her for a bit. What a load! I don't know what I thought it would be, but it was worse than I could have imagined. Get together a group of small minded, nasty, backbiting snips and have them conspire against each other. Just about the opposite of the way you'd need to behave in a real survival situation.

Who comes up with this BS?

tonester
11-23-2008, 07:34 AM
yah i watched one episode of that show a couple of years ago and didnt like it at all. the show really doesnt have anything to do with survival, and just like you said RBB all the teammates back stab each other. good entertainment though...i guess.

wareagle69
11-23-2008, 09:00 AM
well about some time in the mid 90's i think they came up with the original show called survivor and from a tv ratings point of veiw it changed tv for ever most shows on tv now are a result of that one show, its called reality tv and probably might not have survivorman and such shows

Runs With Beer
11-23-2008, 09:46 AM
That is the stupidest show Ive every seen.

Rick
11-23-2008, 09:48 AM
I've seen that ads. That was enough to keep me from watching the show.

crashdive123
11-23-2008, 10:10 AM
....and what prompted all of this "reality tv" (their term, not mine) was the writers strikes back in the 90's. You don't need writers to have a bunch of morons go out and be themselves (don't need to pay them either).

red lake
11-23-2008, 11:11 AM
stupid, but not as stupid as shows like idol, dancing with stars, biggest loser and on and on. Yet they are aired for one reason and one reason only. They make money, Somebody is watching,

Not me that's for sure

Runs With Beer
11-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Amen Brother.

wareagle69
11-23-2008, 08:53 PM
actually dancing with the stars has some smokin hot chicks on it, i know this cuz while the mrs is watchung it i am on this idiot box trade one for the other i guess

fishpole
11-24-2008, 04:14 AM
i hate that reality tv crap! god knows that hardest part of real survival situation is winning the competition to obtain immuntiy in the next vote though, always top priority lol! these guys dont know crap about real survival, a big thank you to hollywood.
-cory

trax
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I've seen a couple of episodes back ...I guess it was the first season, Survivor the show can tell you two things about me that I've mentioned in other threads, why I prefer to be alone in the wilderness and why I don't watch tv anymore.

crashdive123
11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
While many of these shows have entertainment value for some, and may be case studies in human behavior for others, it seems to me that many (maybe most) are trying to gain their 15 minutes of fame and parlay it into something bigger. Nothing wrong with that......I just choose not to participate in the voyeurism of it.

RBB
11-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Well...i love the show.
If you want to learn about the way we humans interact with each other in a difficult and foreign environment, while lacking food and water, while exerting a lot of energy, while having to do complicated or physical things as a team etc...then survivor sure shows it well.
I have watched every episode since it came out.

Interesting to see who gets booted and why.
They actually have a team of psychologists behind the scenes working on the shape and purpose of challenges the "survivors" must face.
In the end...the participants go through a tremendous change...they are first told they are going to a "photo shoot" for the cover of a magazine for this season, none know each other, and they are dumped as is in environments most have never experienced.

They must make fire, build shelter, and are only given rice that they must ration.
Hunting and fishing take on a major role...and obviously, group survival and social understanding becomes paramount to the game in the form of buddying up.
Leaders emerge, and all must face the difficult task of living with strangers under harsh circumstances most have never in their lives experienced.
Hunger becomes alive and shows how it affects the mind.
One must watch the show from day one though...picking it up in the middle of the season would make it difficult to understand what the show does.

"Survival skills" as we define them here are not necessarily the soul focus of the show...and one could not expect to watch it with our understanding of survival in mind and be satisfied.
The show is a lot more driven by group psychology.
Some winners have been amazing manipulators...others have been amazing team players and leaders...others have been amazingly "lucky"...or were able to use typical human behaviors to their advantage.

Team work, greed, hunger, social skills, survival skills, hunting, camp life, behaviors, empathy, leadership skills, manipulation, friendships, calculations, trust...and so much more is all in plain view for us to observe.
Fantastic tool.

I guess my point is - this is not a "reality" show. In a real survival situation - involving a group of people - the manipulators, those out for "me first," would be the ones you'd least want around.

trax
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I understand...but survival situations rarely align with our preferences.

Ya think? ;)

Stony
11-25-2008, 11:21 PM
cheap enterainment, that is all.
most of them i would not have working for me longer than 1/2 day.

Gray Wolf
11-26-2008, 12:12 AM
What would happen for example if 3 individuals were in a boat and they all rowed in 3 different directions ?
One could think that the boat would not go anywhere...but it is not so...the boat would move where the biggest force would push it.
He who has the most power dictates the direction of the boat, and therefore of the two other individuals.

Guess you don't know what a little rudder is capable of doing... Don't sail much huh...

And your "He who has the most power dictates the direction".... guess you had no formal training in Martial Arts...

Ole WV Coot
11-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Survivor ? remake of "Gilligan's Island"? Maybe I am missed something. It looked like the ole Screw Yer Buddy game and GW I don't remember Martial Arts only Mr. Dillon on Gunsmoke, what town was he martial of?? I love it when everyone agrees on something.