PDA

View Full Version : Meteor in Canada

tacmedic
11-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I am wondering if any of you folks from up north got a chance to see the meteor?

http://www.mahalo.com/Canada_Meteor_Video

crashdive123
11-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Saw that on the news tonight. Pretty wild shot.

Rick
11-23-2008, 10:37 AM
That is so cool. One passed across the Midwest in (1976?) The whole sky lit up a brilliant emerald green. It was early evening and everything lit up like daylight for a couple of seconds only everything was green. I didn't eat mushrooms for a long time after that.

wildWoman
11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
There was a meteorite that came down south of here some years ago, the Tagish Lake meteorite. I saw that come down when I drove to work that morning, very similar to what people in the prairies saw now. Pretty amazing.
The thing about the one we had up here is that it landed on a frozen lake and somebody went out looking for pieces. He found a whole bunch and had inquired before how to handle them if he should find any, so as not to contaminate them. They are apparently the purest (uncontaminated) pieces of rock from outer space, as they landed on the ice. I think they found some of the building blocks for life on there - so that's one way things might have gotten off to a start on this planet.

Rick
11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Hey! I saw a show about that. Guy rode his snow mobile out on the lake and there were pieces of the meteor embedded in the ice. What a find.

A friend of my youngest son had a small one dang near clobber him. It landed like 5 feet away. Here's an article on it along with some pictures. The first two are of Brody's meteorite.

http://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/Education/SlideSets/ExpMetMys/Slides1-9.htm

There wound up being a law suit over who owned it and Brody finally one out eventually selling it to a university for somewhere around $10,000. I guess they are pretty valuable.

RobertRogers
11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes, it is easier to find them where they have landed on ice - simply fly a plane over the frozen areas and they will sometimes plainly show as dark spots against the white.