PDA

View Full Version : Food Storage Videos

jsrykken
11-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Howdy,

I am newbie to your fine forum. Thanks for having me.

I am considering the purchase of a set of Food Storage Videos found on the World Net Daily news site. They are the work of Mike Walters, who has a group called "Solutions from Science." The whole deal looks pretty good, but I have not heard of this person before, nor can I find anything about him through a simple google search.

Has anyone here heard of this person or used his product? Can you give me a thumbs up?

Thanks in advance.

John

wareagle69
11-15-2008, 02:07 PM
i have not heard of him.
what are you looking for as far as food storage? dry, canned(both types)store and home done? smoked long term? we have allot of folks here with lots of different methods and experience just ask but also try the search mode in the food section

jsrykken
11-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Wareagle69

Well, I was thinking of the long term as well as daily bread. I am on a quest to build an organized and well stocked larder of both home prepared and factory manipulated foods that will last as long as I can make it last. The videos I referred to apparently teach how to do most of the "putting by" so that you are creating your own long term survival foods rather than relying on commercial stuff.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out the food section search.

Chow

John

wareagle69
11-16-2008, 04:01 PM
so i am assuming you are talking about growing and canning your own? there is allot of great stuff here on gardening and canning and also wild edibles

Rick
11-16-2008, 07:24 PM
John, I don't know the gent and I've never heard of his network. I can and dehydrate as a way of extending my food stocks. Some folks use bulk storage. I think there is a wealth of information on here that can help you and the price is pretty good. It's free if you can afford that.:D

Do you know what kind of food stocks you want to store? Grains? Meats? Fruits? Vegies? All of the above? Do you want to mill your own grains?

You'll find folks that do all of the above and some other stuff as well right here on the forum.

Welcome home, by the way.

jsrykken
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the replies and the welcome.

We have a large hand powered grain grinder and plenty of grain on hand that I have sealed with diatomaceous earth a.k.a. diatom dust. It's been sealed up for about 10 years now and is still good.

We want to store anything edible, well, that is, things we like to eat! Not likely we will store something like grasshopper abdomens, even though they are a survival food. I ate one of those at a Survival School. The instructor cooked them with a bic lighter and handed them around. Tasted like lighter fluid and burnt popcorn. Mmm Mmm Good! Not recommended.

I look forward to learning from you all. Thnx

John