PDA

View Full Version : Mindset

Nomad
09-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I believe a good survival skill is having the proper mindset. Many view survival as a desperate struggle against nature or the elements. I tend to view it as cooperation with nature. the native people around the world seem to understand this and were amazed at how easily they exist in there enviroment. I guess it's all about how were taught to live. I'll have to learn a new way of living once i hit the bush, so i'm trying to develop my new mindset before i go. I'll call it survival living.

survivalhike
09-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Where are you planning on heading, and for how long? What are you thinking about bringing? Are you going to bring some "just-in-case-bail-me-out" items that might come in handy? Elaborate for everyone and I'm sure we can help you out.

Fog_Harbor
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Do what I used to do before I was confident enough to go out for weeks at a time - go someplace where you can still see a road, or a house or something, and try it out there for a few days, bring your books with you, and like SH suggested - bring some food and water along just in case your skills aren't what you would like them to be.

What I used to do for my weekend jaunts was to bring a can or two of something I would eat, but really disliked, like plain kidney beans in water or something. That way there was no temptation to eat it because I wasn't looking forward to it. That and an extra canteen of water (before the days of bottled water on every shelf) I would either bury close, or tie up into a tree. It was there if I needed it, but nothing I was anxious to go and eat.

Mindset is crucial. Without that, you're in danger just going in. It's amazing what the aboriginal peoples can do with what most of us consider 'nothing', while to them it was bountiful - or they moved to where it WAS bountiful.

Nomad
09-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I have experience out in the woods so i'm not a greenhorn. I live in the TN, NC region. I have already set up a base camp and a satellite camp with basic supplies already cached, sl bag, clothes etc. I've set my camps up near natural springs so i'll have good water. There also near lakes and rivers for fishing, trapping etc. There also near a waffle house so i can catch a pancake or two. I'll be posting more once i get settled in.

Sarge47
09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I have experience out in the woods so i'm not a greenhorn. I live in the TN, NC region. I have already set up a base camp and a satellite camp with basic supplies already cached, sl bag, clothes etc. I've set my camps up near natural springs so i'll have good water. There also near lakes and rivers for fishing, trapping etc. There also near a waffle house so i can catch a pancake or two. I'll be posting more once i get settled in.

Nothing like roughing it. What, no Holiday Inn?:rolleyes:

Fog_Harbor
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Nothing like roughing it. What, no Holiday Inn?:rolleyes:

Nah, Holiday Inn's are apparently for injured ex-SAS. I want to be British SAS!

Nomad
09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey i tried holiday inn but they wouldn't let me set my tent up in the lobby....

Sarge47
09-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Hey i tried holiday inn but they wouldn't let me set my tent up in the lobby....

that they were that way, the "Numptys"!:rolleyes: