PDA

View Full Version : Coal Oil

HOP
11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
As a kid in Houston TX any time we got scraped up or about any kind of alement Tthe neighbor lady Misses Crutcher would dose us with coal oil and it seemed to do the trick.
Have any of you come across of medical use for coal oil (kerosene)?

Ole WV Coot
11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Eastern KY cure-all. Also turpentine, black salve, slice of potato to draw out boils and can't forget the black salve and lightnin hot drops. Castor oil always used when in doubt. None of it killed me so maybe it works.

Sourdough
11-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Lot of liquids fix most of my problems. Gin, that first belt tastes like gasoline. And Ever Clear make the machinery and operator run better in the cold.....:eek:............:):):)

old soldier
11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
As a kid in Houston TX any time we got scraped up or about any kind of alement Tthe neighbor lady Misses Crutcher would dose us with coal oil and it seemed to do the trick.
Have any of you come across of medical use for coal oil (kerosene)?

when i went to school in the forties, heads lice was a real problem, kids had their heads washed in kero at night to kill the lice, then a little combed in their hair the next morn as a repellent. I thing sometimes if someone had lit a match the one room school house, the place would have blowed up from the kero fumes.
a spoon of turpentine soaked with sugar was used to kill tape worms.