PDA

View Full Version : Yo Survival Hike!

Sarge47
09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
1st just let me say that I was "blown away" by your "preparedness". You guys are serious and have my total respect. Here's a thought and use it only if you want to: On your space blankets, buy the "real" ones, the 'All-Weather Sportsman's blanket.(Campmor carries them) They are heavy-duty and have grommets in the corners so they can double as tarps. The range in price anywhere from $12 to $15 and are well worth it. One side is silver reflective, the other painted. Boy Scout equipment suppliers sell the ones that are bright orange on the painted side, great for an emergency. For cord I hope your taking 550 cord, or real parachute shroud line as it's the toughest you can find anywhere. My compliments on your choice of knife. I also own a Ka-bar like the one you pictured on your site. Remember to keep it dry as 1095 carbon rusts easily. I have since also bought the Ka-bar "Bull Dozier" made with AUS8 Stainless Steel.

http://www.tomarskabars.com/1275_INFO.html Now for a good laugh as well as how "not to prepare", visit www.barewilderness.com". Check it out and tell us what you think.:cool:

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
That knife is absolutely amazing looking! I honestly thought it was going to be much more expensive than that given how it looks and it's a k-bar so you know it's reliable. My friends also appreciate my preparedness though I sometimes get some ribbing for it. If I didn't do these things for my friends then trips like this would never get off the ground. And again, I would rather be over prepared than under. I'm going to be hiking with about 65 pounds of stuff in my pack and I don't think I'll notice the extra weight of a few non-essentials. The eventual goal is to take less and less stuff with each trip, but I want to start out on the heavy side. We have camped alot but this is the first time we have ever hiked this long.

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I like the concept of the bare wilderness site, but I hope they leave VERY detailed directions to where they will be just in case they can't pull off a miracle and survive that ordeal. Even with training from an expert I would think that having only a knife would still amount to almost nothing in the colder months in Manitoba. I hope they do well. Nothing can defeat the well prepared and those with a strong will but I'm anvious to see how long they last being underprepared with a strong will. I'll be watching that website.

RobertRogers
09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
This is without a doubt excellent information, all of it. Thank you :)

dilligaf2u2
11-01-2007, 01:06 AM
I am partial to the Frost Mora knife myself. Looks do not count for much. It is the persons ability to put a knife to full use that counts! I think my SAK would work as well for what they are planning. Carbon steel is a good choice for a 30 day test. I am not knocking their choice. It is after all, a matter of choice. It just would not be mine.

The 2 guys 2 knives and 30 days seems like a good test of the "ID ten T" theory of evolution. It will be interesting in what order they put survival planning. I would say water, shelter, then food in that order. Cordage as needed.

I have done 14 days with minimal gear (10LBS) and one MRE. Now I did this back when(1974) no one even thought to call it minimalist camping. I called it; being left out in the middle of nowhere and 80 miles to the nearest logging road. I have also done a 10 day out in the brush, knife only, escape and evasion training course when in the Army.

Sarge47; I agree with you. Quality gear is well worth the investment. That space blanket looks a lot sturdier then the cheep junk I have seen.

Don

Nativedude
11-18-2007, 11:27 PM
"My friends also appreciate my preparedness though I sometimes get some ribbing for it. If I didn't do these things for my friends then trips like this would never get off the ground. And again, I would rather be over prepared than under."

I hear ya SurvivalHike. My friends are the same way. They come to hunt where I live , but will only do so, if I am there and go out with them. They always want, and want to use what I have. . . .Funny thing is though, they never get their own supplies. . . .Don't understand it?! :confused: LOL, I don't mind though! ;)

Tony uk
11-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Now i know what i want for Christmas :)