PDA

View Full Version : tarp shelters

corndog-44
09-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Anybody here use a tarp for a makeshift shelter rather than using a tent while out hiking and camping?

Fog_Harbor
09-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I have in the past, and do occasionally when the need arises, but not usually when I hike, and never when practicing skills.

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
I am planning on practicing this skill when we do our next hike/camp in about a month. I keep 2 large clear plastic garbage bags in my survival kit, and I think I can whip up a waterproof shelter out of that and some duct tape that I have in the kit as well. I am encouraging everyone who goes with me on these trips to learn everything they can just in case the s**t hits the fan and we actually have to know how to do some of these things.

Being used to these activities will make them easier to handle should the event come along where they are no longer practice.

wareagle69
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
yo survival hike welcome to the forum
just so i have an idea of what's up, where is the trip that you are planning to take i used to live in az for several yrs and have done many solo treks the longest being 3 months, so i can picture where you will be and try to help anticipate some of your needs.

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I sent you a private email, but just in case you see this first we'll be going in March from the Childs Power plant and following the verde river south 41 miles to the Horseshoe lake campground. Hopefully doing it all in 5 days.

FVR
09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
When I go by myself (no family), all I take is a 9x9 canvas tarp and a wool blanket. Roll the blanket into the tarp to keep it dry.

Works great. In the rain it shed water, just don't touch the inside of the canvas or you will start a drip.

When not in prim. mode I always take my mil. poncho. Makes a great tent, roll up, and of course a poncho. I've been hunting when a major thunder storm came in. I was rifle hunting on the ground in my old mod. chair (comfy) put the poncho on over myself, chair, and rifle. It rained for 3 hours, I stayed dry and even fell asleep.

rusty_oxydado
09-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Tent?
A pain in the back if you have to pack it, and that much extra weight that could go to a luxury item or two.
A tarp is fine, Lay it out and sleep on it like a groung cloth, it it starts to rain, just roll half of it over on you.
In a snow camp, dig the snow down to the ground, fold the tarp over you, makes a much smaller airspace to heat, you sleep warmer.

Rusty.

carcajou garou
09-10-2007, 01:50 PM
I have a tarp that is pre-sown into a Whelen lean style, pretty effecient.

U.KMarine-Red4
09-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Anybody here use a tarp for a makeshift shelter rather than using a tent while out hiking and camping?

Sort of mate. Use tarp in O.P's, lightweight and small... perfect

sticks65
09-17-2007, 12:24 PM
i often use a tarp when i go woodland camping,I like tarps because you can watch the nocturnal wild life and still be warm and comfy in your sleeping bag and your shelterd from the rain but still outdoors unlike a tent so good luck with your tarp you,ll love it

U.S.Marine2111
09-17-2007, 02:57 PM
If you have the coin Kiraru seems to make a nice tarp/tent. It is pretty pricey though, I think $300, but it weighs almost nothing and compresses to the size of a nalgene bottle.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-16-2007, 09:22 PM
tarps are awesome , light , multiple setup efficient shelter I love them however they as all shelter types have their own plus and drawbacks my choice after living 34 years in minneasota , Wis., Michigin , Il , TN in my later years , I use a tarp, a 2 man eureka backpacking tent, and a 4 man swiss dome tent all have served me well in my many camping, hunting, fishing , backpacking , hiking excursions over the years.

swampyankee
10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I camp year round in the mountains of the northeast with a tarp and a bivy. Under almost all conditions I prefer it to a tent.

STB
10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey
I had a question about the tarps. Iv used them sometimes while in my lean too so i don't make any holes in my sleeping bag over the winter. But was wondering if i was out and only had a tarp and it rained it tie it over me so the rain does not fall on me yes. but what about the rain the flows along the ground? Iv been lucky for when i bring just a tarp, it has not rain yet, but if i did how would i stop that? I guess i could make a little pocket for my sleeping bag to go into that is sewn and sealed, but what about over my head? And this would work up to my shoulders what would i do then...Just wondering what if theres something else i should be doing.
THanks

corndog-44
10-17-2007, 03:18 AM
Sometimes it is late, dark, chilly, and starting to rain by the time you find a decent camp site. I like to use the Quick Tarp Shelter under those conditions. Tie one corner of the tarp to a tree, piece of brush, limb, rock knob, anything. Pull the opposite corner out against the wind and stake down. Then stake the other corners. Make a few minor adjustments; stake other tie tabs.

If the wind is swirling around, tie the tree corner low on the trunk. Try to pitch in a sheltered place so wind won't blow rain back into the open front of your homemade cave. The shelter is large and if the wind is consistent, you can really have a dry and snug lair. The negatives are shifting wind and the tendency of high wind to blow the tarp flat against your sleeping bed. You can reduce this tendency by running a line from the tree trunk to the end corner stake.

The size of tarp I like to use is 10-ft. by 10-ft. Damming with sod or trenching the side where water is entering should do the trick until you find a better site.

MCBushbaby
10-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm a minimalist when i camp but I still bring a tent over a tarp anyday... except in the winter since my tent is not freestanding. But, to keep the minimalist gods appeased, my tent is a "tarptent" Contrail from Henry Shires (http://www.tarptent.com/). Best money I ever spent... 1.5lb with pole and stakes, incredibly small pack size, nice and strong material.

Beo
11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Just saw this thread, if I don't take my shelter half I use a 7' by 7' brown canvas tarp and make a diamond shelter, it works great just used one this past weekend. Check out the weekends a coming, thread.

tfisher
11-05-2007, 08:58 PM
I use either 1 or 2 Military Basha Tarps instead of a tent.

go2ndAmend
03-11-2008, 02:03 AM
I have almost always used a small tent. No water from above or below and no insects either. A good nights sleep is a necessity. I have no aversion to a tarp under the right circumstances though. Heny shires makes great ultra light tents.

JDJ
03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
I've used a tarp many a time instead of a tent. Camped in january in Franconia notch in -30's with a tarp facing downhill and a big boulder in the front of that.

Water bags over the fire froze solid, they were 8 degrees.

Woke up hearing the most beautiful sound ever, and then my face hurt like hell...my breath was freezing on the tarp over my head and the frozen moisture was falling back down onto my face.

Tarps are handy, they fit almost anywhere and when things are going really not so well you can just climb under the tarp.

Beo
03-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Tarpps rock, best shelters I've ever made for trekking.

Rick
03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I've used tents and tarps. Both are fine and each has its advantages and disadvantages. The tarp gives me the luxury of many different configurations based on my need and that's what gives the tarp an edge over a tent for me.

dilligaf2u2
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Gortex!

TDW and TGF want the big tent along. With them, I take the truck for camping.

For me alone, I made a 9 x 14 tarp out of gortex. Best thing I ever did. It is heaver then a plastic tarp but lighter then the 10 X 10 heavy Cotton canvas tarp. It has kept me dry in the worst of storms, both rain and snow. It is big enough for 2 and gear or me and Ugly. Ugly takes a lot of room for a small dog.

If I know bugs will become a problem, I have a tent.

Don

MedicineWolf
03-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Two shelter halves from the army and I'm good.

Ridge Wolf
03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey
I had a question about the tarps. Iv used them sometimes while in my lean too so i don't make any holes in my sleeping bag over the winter. But was wondering if i was out and only had a tarp and it rained it tie it over me so the rain does not fall on me yes. but what about the rain the flows along the ground? Iv been lucky for when i bring just a tarp, it has not rain yet, but if i did how would i stop that? I guess i could make a little pocket for my sleeping bag to go into that is sewn and sealed, but what about over my head? And this would work up to my shoulders what would i do then...Just wondering what if theres something else i should be doing.
THanks

Dig a trench around the edge of the tarp for water run off. The trench should be about 3 to 6 inches deep depending on how much rain you're expecting and dig it past your tarp area (perferrably downhill) so the water will run away from the tarp area. You can easily do this with a camp shovel/pick or even a digging stick. :D

warman87
06-23-2008, 07:40 AM
would a large tent fly work for stormy weather i have an old tent that has seen its fair share of storms and on the last one the poles broke so i was wondering if that would work it has kept me dry with a tent its about 10x10 silnylon or would a 10x10 canvas tarp hold up better in the woods?

Ole WV Coot
06-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Always keep a tarp in the truck and on the ATV. Covers the ATV & gear without unloading. More uses than a tent IMO and out of habit I always have the mil poncho. Both very good shelters.

Pict
06-23-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't like sleeping in tents at all unless I'm in a civilized campground and need the privacy. My normal shelter here in Brazil is a poncho and bivy bag placed in whatever natural sheltered spot I can find. The downside to using your poncho as a tent is that you can't use it as raingear. I don't remember the last time I slept in a tent. I use them mainly for my little kids (9 and 7). They feel safer when hermetically sealed away from the wilderness. Mac

warman87
06-23-2008, 09:02 AM
did a quick google on bivy bags and i have a question do they create condensation
on the inside of the bag during hot or muggy weather and also how water proof are they?

julian
06-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Seconded on the Henry Shires tarptents! In mosquito country, they provide all the bug protection of a tent and still give you a tarp-type simplicity/size. I'll be using one on my Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike next spring.

Rick
06-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Mac - Is your main reason for a bivy bag to escape insects? Just wondering.

monalisa1155
11-14-2008, 02:30 AM
The Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance Pod System (TARPS) is a large and sophisticated camera pod carried by the F-14 Tomcat it was pressed into service upon arrival in the fleet

crashdive123
11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Alrightythen. How about flying over to the introduction section when you get a chance and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

trax
11-14-2008, 12:44 PM
The Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance Pod System (TARPS) is a large and sophisticated camera pod carried by the F-14 Tomcat it was pressed into service upon arrival in the fleet

Which is clearly overwhelmingly important to people who are asking questions about shelters while out in the wilderness. Tarps to the rest of the world is short for tarpaulins, maybe you wanna google a dictionary and get back to us on that. Just a thought. Hey, it's humor, welcome aboard, snap a shot of crashdive's suggestion and do a flyby of the intro section maybe.

Pict
11-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Mac - Is your main reason for a bivy bag to escape insects? Just wondering.

Rick my main reason for carrying a bivy bag is that they are the best shelter asset for their size and weight for my area bar none.

My bivy's are nothing special either. I use the Guide Gear version from Sportsmans guide. (This reminds me I need to pick up about 4 more).

The bottom of the bag is made from coated nylon and the top has a large panel of something like Goretex. The hood has a wire stiffener and a full face bug screen. the whole thing packs into its own little zipper pocket at the toe-end and takes up a little more room than a lightweight US Army poncho. I have never had condensation problems with my Guide Gear bivy's, even using them down to about 18 degrees F (obviously not in Brazil on that trip)

I have slept in them with the hood zippered shut but I think they get stuffy. Most of the time I just leave my head unzippered. For bug protection I use a combination of DEET and permethrine (in winter/dry season) when we have loads of ticks and chiggers. In rainy season there are no ticks or chiggers and DEET can handle everything else.

My basic set-up is a Poncho, bivy, and either a tropical weight bag or poncho liner. The entire system packs into a small US Army drybag and fits in a day pack. With these three assets any expedient shelter that you care to construct will be FAR more effective. In decent weather they are more than adequate for shelter by themselves.

For example. The last time I ran the Alpine Survival course we stayed at 4500 feet on a mountain slope and got hammered with wind/rain. I was staying in a small cave-like rock shelter on a grass mattress. I had rigged up the poncho to close off a wide open space to the front of the cave to protect my head from rain spray. The bivy got soaked from the knees down but I stayed dry inside. Mac

wareagle69
11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
mine is the aurora bivy cost me around 350 or so ifn i recall correctly about 12" inches long and wrap both hands around when in stuff sac about 2lbs made of gore tex (www.orgear.com) works for me

BruceZed
11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
http://boreal.net/Courses/sur2sum/images/shelter-building-04.jpg I live in this one just last week in Northern Saskatchewan. It is simply a poncho 5' x 8' made of Siltarp with a few small budgie cords and a piece of string to hold it up.

Runs With Beer
11-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I like a tarp in the winter, But down here in the summer a tent is a must.

Rick
11-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Mac. It helps to understand the whys. It looks like the Sportsmansguide has some of their bivy's on sale.

HOP
11-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I have a tarp that is pre-sown into a Whelen lean style, pretty effecient.

I think the Whelen lean to is the greatest for winter use with reflective fire but must confess that I prefer something you can button all the way up and with a floor for when the crawlies are about.

klkak
11-18-2008, 05:26 AM
I think the Whelen lean to is the greatest for winter use with reflective fire but must confess that I prefer something you can button all the way up and with a floor for when the crawlies are about.

I don't know about this Whelen tent for winter use. In my experience up here. A wall tent with wood stove, military cot and -35 or better sleeping bag just barely cut it. I'm starting to fall in love with Alaska Tent & Tarps "Arctic Oven" tent. I used one in -20 temps for a few nights. I had to unzip my bag. That is one nice winter tent.:)

When summer camping without the wife or grandkids I use a tarp with one of my military issue mosquito nets. It's nice living in a land without snakes.

Jay
11-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Tarp and hammock most of the time. Sometimes a sleeping bag and a piece of lightweight canvas. Hammock rolls up into a ball the size of a tennis ball, tarp 6"x6" so they both fit in an outside pocket of the rucksack. Fortunately over most of the island the tempretures are pretty warm. Low temp is experienced only in the upper areas of our central hills....but almost never below freezing.

Gray Wolf
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
For the Everglades I agree with Jay, Tarp, hammock, mosquito netting and sometimes a cheap bivy. Yet In Northern Vermont or the Rockies, it's a different set up. I think it depends on where you are and the conditions you're in, as far as what will be best.

Runs With Beer
11-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Yea, Hop down here in the summer the bugs are fierce, Everything that can bite will!

HOP
11-19-2008, 07:02 AM
I have a French army Pup tent and if I am ever in France I am going to use it.
Actually a pup tent works well in a Whalen type / tarp way, stake out extra poles and make an awning add Skeeter net in far weather and reflective fire in the cold and it is still light enough to carry (IMHO the primary purpose of a tarp type shelter).

fishpole
11-20-2008, 10:52 AM
ounce or twice i have but more a mid day shelter than a long term set up. i always keep one in my pack when im hunting for just such a reason though, they have a million situations.

Runs With Beer
11-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Yea HOP,You know when its its cold, The ReflECtive fire will work to keep you warm. Right?

tonester
12-12-2008, 05:44 PM
how big of a tarp would be big enough to shelter 3 people? ive been looking at a 10'x10' and a 12'x10'.

trax
12-12-2008, 06:56 PM
well tonester, how close together are they going to be? piling them up? actually you could cover three people with either of those tarps if you make a small dome shelter, not saying it's going to be terribly comfortable, but we're talking emergency/survival here again, right?

klkak
12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
So does hanging a big tarp over the wall tent count as a tarp shelter?

tipacanoe
12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
You have to admit, that camp site would scare the bears away, they might get hurt in there!

klkak
12-13-2008, 12:03 AM
You have to admit, that camp site would scare the bears away, they might get hurt in there!

Now that was funny. ROFLMAO!:D

That picture was taken about day 12 of a 21 day trip. Something you can't see in the picture is the fact that I'm stand shin deep in sea water as I took the picture. During the highest tides the tent is only about 6 inches up above the high tide line.

Better yet is the fact that you can't see the camp from a boat until you get to within about 50 feet of it.

By the way. When we leave we leave nothing behind.

klkak
12-13-2008, 12:23 AM
So does it count as a tarp shelter? After all it does have a tarp over it.

Badawg
12-13-2008, 01:11 AM
I have used both. I have a 2 man Kelty that's 15 years old and has been all over the place. But wheever I go out here shade is a must and I have worn out 2 Nylon tarps since 1996 trying to keep the sun off my pale skin. I also make shade structures for that thing out in the desert called Burning Man. My personal one is 10x20 and made from heavy wall conduit. The covers are made from used billboard tarps made from reinforced vinyl. It's extremely tough stuff and is UV stable. We have a 60x60 structure out in Borrego that has withstood 80MPH winds and has been there and up for 2 years. In 2007 my 10 by 20 withstood 60 mph winds that came from 3 directions (whirlwind) and stayed put. 10 days I lived under that in a large Eureka tent. Last summer I made a lightweight tarp for a trip to Catalina Island that was the fly from another tent. With Paracord and some Taut ties and 4 small aluminum poles, I always have shade.

Btw, for stakes I use 18" or 24" rebar...

klkak
12-14-2008, 03:27 AM

The meat pole is only 20 or 30 feet behind the tent.:eek::D

tonester
12-14-2008, 07:50 AM
well tonester, how close together are they going to be? piling them up? actually you could cover three people with either of those tarps if you make a small dome shelter, not saying it's going to be terribly comfortable, but we're talking emergency/survival here again, right?

im planning on using the tarp for emergency/survival but i would also like to use it for weekend outings. i would like to get something that can fit three and maybe some gear...doesnt have to be super roomy but i dont wanna be packed like sardines. what size do you guys think would be the best?

SARKY
12-14-2008, 02:10 PM
for the most part i just use my poncho and make a delta dome. i do have a 9x9 foot tarp made out of the same material that my poncho is made from (got it at Brigade Quarter Master). I do thet same thing, Delya Dome only larger.