PDA

View Full Version : bottled water test

huntermj
11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.ewg.org/reports/bottledwater
Found this on another site and thought it would be good information.
I think a lot of people, including myself, thought that bottled water was better for long term storage then tap water because it was better treated. Seems that is not always the case and where it is the chemicals that it is treated with are not removed.

canid
12-01-2008, 04:39 AM
if i get the chance after my next order of petri dishes, i'll see about running up a batch of culture tests on some bottled waters to illustrate what grows in them.

huntermj
12-01-2008, 06:40 AM
I would like to see the results. I need to find a company to test the water from the creek behind my place. I'm more concerned about pharmaceuticals and heavy metals.

crashdive123
12-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I would like to see the results. I need to find a company to test the water from the creek behind my place. I'm more concerned about pharmaceuticals and heavy metals.

Your local DEP may do it for free.

wareagle69
12-01-2008, 09:41 AM

hunter your local health unit should do it. if not then go to a pump and water whole saler they will test your water for free in hopes of selling you lots of useless crap

RobertRogers
12-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Bottled water is a laugh - much of it comes right from a town tap. Not to mention hundreds of millions of plastic bottles being thrown out onto the highways and landfills.

Great way to waste money and resources.

Pict
12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Some stats.

In 2006 the bottled water industry spent $165,000,000 on advertising. Their main claim is that their product is safer than tap water.

The United States bought into that message to the tune of $11,700,000,000 (11.7 Billion)

Simply amazing.

Mac

trax
12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Pepsi and Coke both went whole hog into the bottled water business as well and my understanding is they're both selling bottled tap water. Cheers, here's to your health!

I read an article recently that said in some survey most people feel that they're doing something healthier and more environmentally friendly by drinking bottled water. I guess that's feel as opposed to think....they're spending all that advertising money that Mac mentioned hustling an image.

crashdive123
01-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Sarge - Move to General Chat

watchman
08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
As RobertRogers said, in many states, bottled water is actually municipal water so there is no difference between bottled and tap. The chlorine used to disinfect the water is what also promotes long storage life of the water. Storage life can be up to 2 years but most people recommend rotating it sooner than that. You can drink the water as is (though I don't personally do this) or filter out the chlorine and other pollutants using a water filter before drinking.

Rick
08-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Watchman - Why don't you drink your way over to our Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

Unless, of course, this is just part of your marketing gimmick.

crashdive123
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Rick, you are much kinder than I am.

Rick
08-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I know but I'm keeping my eye on him. If it talks like a spammer, walks like a spammer then it....well, you know.