PDA

View Full Version : what did you do this week to prepare

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

wareagle69
11-09-2008, 08:48 AM
for what ever lies ahead, i want this thread to get thousands of posts and veiws i would like everyone every week to say what they have done no matter how big or small, did you store one more bag of beans or did you purchase the 30,000 dollar wind and solar package or like me i started at a new church this week first time in a long time and i am not religous and this is a non denominational church but it is full of folks who are farmers and such so for me it is about networking and bartering with my plumbing and heating background i can possibly trade offf some of these skills for a calf or someting like that
so what did you do this week to prepare?

Sourdough
11-09-2008, 09:21 AM
As a price hedge, I bought another 700 pounds of Dog Food. Sam's Club price for Atta Boy 60# bag went from $10.98 to $26.85 in three months. This week I also started giving animals 15 minutes to eat twice a day; then retrieve their buckets or bowls of uneaten food, and put them in the feed barn. It seems as soon as they stop eating and move away, in comes the magpies, jays and ravens. They are welcome to the spillage, but with grain up 55% the free food program is suspended......... Bought a 5 KW diesel generator, 3 cyl. Luger engine.

wareagle69
11-09-2008, 09:25 AM
that was a benefit of mrs eagle working at a vet clinic food 50% off so we stocked up a years worth next spring we will have to figure out another avenue

LindyLu
11-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Tis only me...The Lurker...I seldom post but feel I know all you folks, and read most every single post and have learned soooo much. Anyway, this past week, I bought me a 22 Comanche pistol, well I ordered it anyway. I hate small guns but feel I best buy one now or possibly do without. I have a question about storing that much dog food, I make my Aussi's dog food from venison (free) and green beans (free) and brown rice or macaroni but I do have a 50 pound bag stowed with the goat & chicken feed. It is the type that has molasses and I left it in the original bag. All the feed & corn is stacked on pallets in my laundry room so is dry and varmint proof. Having explained that to death (I tend to do that - sorry), should I put the dog food in a plastic bucket and seal it like wheat berries? I would rather not use my buckets up as I need to get more wheat.

wareagle69
11-09-2008, 09:52 AM
well there is an expiration date on the bag usually one year then you start loosing nutritional value so i would use the bag when possible maybe small amoutns to supplement the regular food, like with my horses i use beet pulp to help as a filler it is about 7 dollars a bag vs the 24 dollars a bag for the oats so i feed both but can cut my oats in half this way, the natural diet for dogs is always the best, i like to feed chicken and rice or goat and rice with carrots or green beans

nell67
11-09-2008, 09:53 AM
If it has molasses in it,you should use it up by the use by date on it if you are not storing it another way,we do not sell feed with molasses in it at our farm supply store after the sell by date,because the molasses tends to grow mold.

tacmedic
11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
This week I canned about 16 pints of pears, and 8 pints of pear butter. I still have about a bushel of apples to do something with. I might try to dry them next week. My hard apple cider is done fermenting (spec grav 1.00) and I will bottle that this week as soon as I get some more bottles. One of the local stores had a great sale on boneless pork ribs, so I stocked up on those and vaccum sealed them and stuck them in the freezer.

we- I think this thread is a great idea!

nell67
11-09-2008, 10:57 AM
tacmedic,have you ever tried to make pear jelly?? This year was a first for me on that one,and it was much more time consuming than any other jelly I have ever made.

I did it for a guy who has some pear trees and wanted to try it,but his wife is not the type to put stuff away,so he asked if i would try.

I looked long and hard online to find a recipe for it and finally found one that even attempted it using an apple jelly recipe,the one thing it was correct about was it is a much longer cooking time to get it to the gel stage than just about any other fruit.

This week I picked up another trailer of corn from the farmers field to have ground for feed,will now have about 5 months of feed for the critters. bought 100# pigs last week to feed out for the freezer.

huntermj
11-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Added more .22 ammo, hurricane lamp. more lamp oil, stored some food. Also bought a 6.5 qt. cast iron pot, already made a batch of backed beans in it:D

crashdive123
11-09-2008, 11:16 AM
What did I do to prepare? Hmmm? Started a fight with the zoning bureaucrats to keep my business going. Got away for a little camping to help clear my mind. Yep, that’s what I did.

Woodland
11-09-2008, 11:21 AM
We have been cutting firewood, and last night me and my son made some char cloth. Also last night we practiced with some nest tinder I found in the hollow of one of the tree's we cut up.
It's a shame wareagle we don't live close as we usually give our spare jersey bull calves away as their not worth the gas money to get them to auction most times.
LinyLu, let me know what you think of the Comanche. I almost bought one in .357 but got a Ruger SP101 3" instead.

nell67
11-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Ahhh,too bad you are in Penn. Woodland,as jerseys here have been particularly sought after at the auctions.

Woodland
11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
How it was explained to me was at the feedlots they don't have a fast enough weight gain as compared to the beef breeds or even holsteins, but if you have pasture and time they fill out fine. But the breed does well in grazing type milk production.

tacmedic
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM
nell- I have never tried to make pear jelly. This is the first time I have attempted pear butter. It took about twice as long to cook down as apples and I wound up with half as much. I think pears just have so much more water content than other "hard" fruits do that they have to be cooked a lot longer. I still have some more pears to work with, I am thinking about trying to dry them. Has anyone ever tried this?

Riverrat
11-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Finished putting up this and next winters wood, in the process of building a workshop and I am stocking it with mostly hand tools, and picked up couple of extra cans of food when grocery shopping.

Freki
11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
ohh nice thread!

I've been quite lucky this week as I've just finished a contract so had some spare pocket money. I splashed out on some replacement kit and ordered a nice cross bow (packing a whopping 180lb should do the trick with the broad tipped bolt heads I ordered too!) as in the UK it's pretty hard to get any firearms.

Freki
11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
-fired about 1000 rounds at the range on friday...with different tools, ammo, and different drills (weak hand, using flash lights, double taps...)
-bought ammo, mags, and some more ammo.
-bought a box of N95 respirators (why not).
-bought more batteries...AA, AAA.

That's about it for this weak.

it's a pity the UK has such strict gun laws, it's not as though it's actually stopping gun related crimes etc but enough of that crap, It's been a good couple of years since I last fired a weapon. We used to do hours of actions on drills. Hard work but it was defo worth it.

I stick with the S-10 and MK4 NBC gear, it cant do any harm keeping them handy. I've a few spare filters but it may be a good idea to get some disposable masks.

FVR
11-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Did not really do much.

Oh, yeh, I did pick up 150 22WMR rounds for the new revolver.

Did an inventory on shotgun shells, yeh, I have enough for a few rabbits, deer, hogs, and ducks. Throw in a turkey or two.

That's about it.

nell67
11-09-2008, 09:16 PM
[quote=tacmedic;80979]nell- I have never tried to make pear jelly. This is the first time I have attempted pear butter. It took about twice as long to cook down as apples and I wound up with half as much. I think pears just have so much more water content than other "hard" fruits do that they have to be cooked a lot longer. I still have some more pears to work with, I am thinking about trying to dry them. Has anyone ever tried this?[/quote

Never tried to dry them,have you tried pear honey? it is very good,recipes are easy to find online,my daughter in laws mother made some this year and gave me a few jars,yummy!

FVR
11-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh yeh, traded a box of rocks aka flint, chert, butter, etc for a pair of running shoes.

Gonna start running and get in shape to run in the Ranger run. Gonna do it this year.

Arsey
11-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Bought 4 new Bantams.
Went to the indoor range, 50kms away, with my wife. Shot 50 rounds each. She shot .38 special. I shot 9mm semi auto.
Bought Remington 12g u/o shotty.
Not bad for a day I thought.

tuxdad
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM
My fiance and I went out and cut firewood.. I cut and loaded, and she just loaded... Split about 30 logs, and got in touch with a few neighbors who had trees down to clear them out to prep for next years burn... May have to use some this year if its gets cold enough..

Bought some bullets for reloading, worked on plans for a rocket stove(JIC)...

Tux

wildWoman
11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I started feeding a raven down on his luck who's been hanging around for a few days despite the best efforts of the resident hawk owl to chase him away. When the raven started hopping around underneath the cabin, looking for garbage, I put out a handful of dog kibble on the beach for him. He ate it it all within no time.

davef
11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm going to cheat a little bit and quickly go over what I've done this summer,
my preparations have been many.
First, my wife and I planted a subsistence garden this year. Lots of staples.
Potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions, peas, beans, etc....
Also planted a substantial herb garden, and purchased about 400 lbs of
apples, plums, pears, bananas, and other types of fruit.
For the last 3 weeks, we've been harvesting our garden, and drying
everything we can. In addition to dehydrating, we've also been canning fruit.
I think that we've got about a 2/3 to 1/3 ration of dried fruit to canned fruit.
Our dehydrator has been running so much that I'm afraid we'll burn out the
motor in it.
In addition to building up our dried goods, we've been laying in supplies of
canned goods. Every time a grocery store has a "case lot" sale, we've been
buying extra.
Purchases other than food include a 4600 W backup power generator, a used
tent trailer (with 2-way fridge, running water, and a furnace), and an
apartment size freezer. The freezer and the backup generator both fit into
the tent trailer when packed so that we can take them with us.
As some on here know, I've gotten my PAL (Canadian Gun ownership license)
this fall, and I've just today, purchased a Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun.

All in all, it has been an eventful summer and fall this year.
Oh yeah, and one more thing, I'm working on a coffee can stove, as the fine
city that I live in has seen fit to ban all open wood fires (including fire pits):mad:
within the city limits.
Municipal elections are coming up and I'm going hoping that all of city
councilors that voted for the ban, get voted out off office.

Cheers
Dave

Dennis K.
11-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Familiarized myself w/ some more back roads out of the metro area. It can be surprisingly difficult to get out when not using main arteries. My assumption, in the event of an actual emergency, is that major arteries & thoroughfares will be clogged.
Note to self - time to update my local area maps.

tsitenha
11-11-2008, 04:58 PM
This week started to list motorcycles addition that would make it better in case of a bug out, already get 70+ miles to the gallon just want to add a few items that will help like a trailer good winter project.

Stony
11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
hmmm, good Q.
lets see:
cover up fishing boat, charge batteries, feed neighbor dog, clean take-down rifle,
serice sled, track a cougar,
lots of stuff not really relevant.

Arsey
11-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Picked up m Remington U/O today.
Sweeeeeeet.
Can't wait to use it on those pesky clay targets that keep eating all our...clay!!
While we were there had another 50 rounds on the range.
My wife on the .38 revolver and me on the Glock 9mm again. Got some great tips from the ROs as well.
I love that. Actually getting help from those who can see you are keen and a sponge.
Oh Oh and we put our name down for a .22 revolver for my wife when she gets her pistol license in Jan. She loves it. It's nice and light. Old. 2nd hand. A BRNO Grand I believe.
So she's happy and that's a good thing.
:D

trax
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Did a bunch of winterizing around the place. Shot a deer but I gave it away to a family I know who are kind of needy so...I guess they're more ready for whatever comes next.

wareagle69
11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
hey great stuff folks, this week so far i ahve been in school at night trying to upgrade my certificates which makes me more valuable in the canadian north when it comes to heating a home, more bartering skills for me basically, i can fix your boiler or furnace in exchange for ........... if you have excess of something i can fix your house, thats it so far but the weekend is coming

crashdive123
11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
thats it so far but the weekend is coming

You understand of course what this means?????? Monday should be interesting!:D

wareagle69
11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
what an intersting quote, just might catch on

Icemancometh
11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Bought 40lbs of rice and 15lbs of dry beans. Stored them in buckets and rotated my food stores. also bought (6) 3 liter bottles of water.

huntermj
11-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Bought a little extra food for LTS and learned to make char-cloth. Thing about storing food, its hard to stop even though you have enough, maybe its just me.

chiye tanka
11-15-2008, 02:57 AM
Bought a couple ;) boxes of .223 and 12ga.

Dave Johns
11-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Excellent thread! Since I am a noob to the forum, I will give you a quick rundown of the last few months:

Mid-summer: Finally able to do deep knee bends again (long story involving a cement staircase, some furniture, and my kneecap) so I began taking long walks in town. Also started growing concerned about life, the universe, and everything. Started reading the "best if used by" dates on canned foods at the grocery.

Late summer: Renewed my concealed carry permit, purchased a used H&R 12 ga pump, and a makarov pistol (small, accurate, and reliable). Started doing some afternoon hikes in the local foothills. Started buying a little extra each time I was at the grocery. researched and put together a BOB. realized I have no idea what I am doing.

Fall: Worked on a plan. A lot. Acquired more supplies. Did my 1st weekend hike/campout in 14 years, only 10 miles total. Sore for a week afterward.

This Week: Signed up for a FA class offered by the Red Cross (long time since the scouts). Practiced at the range. Bought more beans, bullets, and bandages.

Still working on that plan.

chiye tanka
11-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Well pilgrim, if you stop running with sharp objects, you might make it.:D

Dave Johns
11-15-2008, 03:04 AM
But the scissors make it more exciting!

also, thanks!

crashdive123
11-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Dave - you said you realized you had no idea what you were doing. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine. Keep it up - a little at a time.

wareagle69
11-15-2008, 09:12 AM
ya know sometimes ya just gotta relax i spend so much of my time learning i study in the morning before work then at work during breaks i read my first responder books then go to school a couple of nights a week and spend more tiime studying so this weekend the homestead is on cruise control the boss is away so the mice will play i'm taking all three wonder mutts to the bush first time for the new toy will see how she does and just gonna split wood and clean the barn this weekend thats about all

Rick
11-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Good thread, WE. I've spent the last two weeks living in a hotel in Atlant's Buckhead section. Nice area, but I was a long way from home with only some of my usual stuff that I stashed in my checked baggage. That included a pocket knife, flint, tube of char clothe, button flashlight, P51 can opener, some first aid supplies and a mini mag light.

So I got to thinking what would I do if I had to make do with what I had with me. I put together a decent list of usables out of the room. Shower curtain is plastic so I'd cabbage on to that for a ground cover or shelter roof. The sheets would make a bed roll. The bed quilt could be made into a parka/cloak. Pillow case for carry bags or even for cotton strips for char cloth or bandages or whatever I needed. Bottles of water, toilet paper, even the electric cords to the clock radio and lamps could be cut up and used for cordage. The Bible, of course would come with me along with the pen and paper in the desk drawer.

I carry Vasolene in my shaving kit so I could strip some cotton cloth out and add some Vasolene to it for a fire starter. Mouthwash is high in alcohol content so it's sort of a disinfectant. The soap from the bathroom along with the shampoo. The list went on.

Sort of a cool experiment to see what I could use in a different environment. That's what I did to prepare this week.

wareagle69
11-16-2008, 08:52 AM
welcome back ya old fart, other than looking around the room for what you could use did you have an emergency action plan (eap) for where you were and for you family members still back at home (your an empty nester right?)

wareagle69
11-16-2008, 09:28 AM
the wife and i talked last night she says she wants to go back to school for an lpn (licenced practical nurse) 2 year program good money when she is done plus valuable skill set as up here they help assit with surgeries and such would be great for stiches or other maladies, i have great mediacal skills but haveing her take the lead in this would help me focus on other areas, she would start next fall but at least a plan is in action so that falls into this week

Rick
11-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Actually (one old fart said to the other) yes. I really did sit down a look at a map on how to hoof it home (okay, maybe steal a ride) assuming flights were canceled. As for the home front, my wife is an RN and has a pretty good handle on where the packs and weapons are. She's not all that exact with a weapon but any woman with a handgun is a dangerous thing. I always call home first and never walk in unannounced.:D My momma only raised one dumb kid but my brother is a whole 'nother subject.

A190
11-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Just buyinga few more leather gear for my side arms.........

laughing beetle
11-17-2008, 11:29 PM
picked up another couple bottles of lamp oil, lumber for interior work on my uncles house, added to my candle collection, and added a few more canned goods to the pantry. I am allways buying extra(even if its just one or two items) but at this point i am shopping out of my stored supplies and replacing as i use. Double checked the dates and quantities of medications too. Bought road salt and kitty litter for both vehicles. sometimes the extra weight and/or traction comes in handy up here.

SeaScene
11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Suddenly decided not to close the deal on the acreage in northern Ontario and I am back aboard my sailboat anchored out off Vancouver Island friendly small harbour. Funny how a bit of time away from something makes the heart grow fonder. Glad (relieved) to be back aboard. No longer a landsman after all I guess. Still have lots of canned salmon put away aboard. Must try and find Olive Oyle again.... a little begging in this matter I am prepared for.

Good luck

bulrush
11-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I got my 99 cent Mora knife from Ebay. Used and very worn down, but still sharp and usable.

Madrox
11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
love this topic :)

In the past few weeks since I've been on here I've:

- ordered about $500 of bulk food and the mylar bags and o2 suckers to go with it
- went to any thrift store i run across and buy bags of candles for pennies each
- stocked up on ammo from a local sports store. Got a few hundred rounds more for the shotty, .45 and .22lr
- bottled up some more clean water
- used some food grade containers (old protein powder containers) and filled them with rice
- look for and buy canned goods or bulk rice\beans\etc when on sale, usually something weekly
- keep in contact with close friends about current conditions and we know a good basic plan of what to do and where to go if we need to bug out or in.
- cleaned and organized my supply shelter. Plan to do the same for my camping gear this week so its all in one spot for ease of use and if i need to pack it out and leave
- bought a decent short wave radio (receiver). Looking at getting a transmitter possibly as well
- started research into getting a decent small solar setup

crashdive123
11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Madrox - sounds like you've been busy. Well done. One thing you may want to consider about your storage.......if everything is in the same spot and something happens to said spot (fire of whatever) then everything is gone. You know best what possible hazards are in your area, so it may not be a concern.

teamonetl
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I bought a Marlin Papoose and a brick of 500 .22's for the kids to shoot :)
Scored a decent set (4) of snow tires for the truck. I run these year round, work great on grass and mud too.

Madrox
11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
ya crash that is a very good point that i have been thinking quite a bit about. I've put everything in the one small closet mainly (for now) to get a good inventory on what I do have and what I am missing. The plan is once I am comfortable with what I have and need to split the stash into multiple parts and put some food\water in different locations. Hopefully by the time I do that something doesn't happen to it. I also keep the guns and ammo separate and have a plan to hide those as well that I need to act on asap.

Saul Danielson
11-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Joined this forum. Began once again to consider the future as it may transpire.

Began thinking about a .22 Rifle.

Scheduled a practice shoot with a friend.

Began taking stock of what I already have put by.

Arranged the purchase, hopefully, of a 4x4 Toyota. Used, has a new engine and clutch, well kept.

Reminded myself of the obvious regarding the election: All Kings, at all times, are allowed into power by Divine Providence, for whatever mysterious and baffling reason. This too will be a time of character strengthening and proving for the prepared mind.

Reiver
11-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Bought some lamp oil, gave my bov a tune up and fixed a couple of problems. Used my spokeshave to rough out a small self bow. Camped out rough in the mountains Friday and Saturday night with friends. Going into town tomorrow to get some new camo pants. Pretty productive week really :)

mcfd45
11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I am wrapping up an EMT-I class and i prepared myself for my midterm. I think I did good. I guess that counts right? I also slipped some handwarmers and foot warmers (the chem kind) into my car. It is getting cold here, I think next week I will add some winter stuff to my car (blanket, shovel, etc) And I am always preparing by reading. The SAS book is on the throne. lol

tacmedic
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
This week I bottled the hard apple cider that has been fermenting, spec grav is 1.00 and it has a nice pungent aroma and a good flavor. I also ordered some extra ammo to have on hand. Tomorrow I plan on starting to construct a dog sled for this winter. If it turns out, I will post some pics when I get it done.

trax
11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
what are you using for materials to build the sled tac?

tsitenha
11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Started 2 new people on the path of preparedness :)
Oh yes just purchased a .45acp revolver:D

tacmedic
11-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Trax- I haven't decided yet for sure. In my area I am pretty limited as far as wood choices at lumber yards. I will probably end up with pine and cedar, to keep the weight down. It only has to be able to carry me (ruunning along behind probably :D) and my 4 year old. I know that cedar isn't as strong as some other choices, but I have found it to be flexible in the past. Any suggestions?

klkak
11-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Trax- I haven't decided yet for sure. In my area I am pretty limited as far as wood choices at lumber yards. I will probably end up with pine and cedar, to keep the weight down. It only has to be able to carry me (ruunning along behind probably :D) and my 4 year old. I know that cedar isn't as strong as some other choices, but I have found it to be flexible in the past. Any suggestions?

Hey tac, ask the lumber yards if they have "Douglas fir or Hemlock" both are extremely tough.

old soldier
11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
sealed another 80 pounds of rice in mylar bags and pails.Over 600 lbs now, Just can't pass up the good buys. we're thinking about opening about 30 #10 cans of tomatoes and reprocessing them into glass canning jars so we can put them down stairs in the cellar, fraid the cans may rust if we don't get at them in a few yrs.
also took out 2 turkeys so they could start thawing in the fridg, one for her to roast in the oven and one for me to smoke out back.

Rick
11-19-2008, 07:20 PM
mcfd45 (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/member.php?u=2132) - Congratulations on the class!

Looked for some additional ammo today. 9mm and 45 ACP seem to be on short supply right now. At least what I wanted was on back order. A lot of the 9mm stuff seemed to be out of stock.

Looked at some wool winter clothes, too. Does anyone have a good source for wool shirts and pants?

klkak
11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
I bought a box of .44 mag hollow point and a box of .44 special hollow point. Did a tune up on my wifes RAV4. Put the studded tires on my T-100. Still have to put the plow on the ATV.

tacmedic
11-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Oh, almost forgot. I also refilled my stockpile of TP. Without this, nothing else really matters.

trax
11-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh, almost forgot. I also refilled my stockpile of TP. Without this, nothing else really matters.

Now there's a man with his priorities right and a man who will still have his shirt pockets and shirt tails come spring.:)

Dave Johns
11-21-2008, 05:04 AM
This week was a bit of a "step back" week for me. Since I found this forum, I have been re-assessing some priorities, and as the cold weather starts sneaking in, I had to spend time prepping the house and vehicles. I was able to pick up 2 boxes of 7 1/2 shot, and bought another couple boxes for my pistols (gonna burn most of them off next week at the range, though) topped off the antifreeze in both vehicles, made sure the coldweather emergency kits were in the trunks, checked the spare tires etc.

I also bought a great little 950 watt gas generator at a yard sale for $100. It is an off-brand, but I set it up and ran it under load for a couple of hours, no prob.

Oh, and i start my red cross FA class right after Thanksgiving!

wareagle69
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
chopped more wood

wareagle69
11-21-2008, 04:59 PM
went shopping got more spices and dry goods, you know evrything is kind of on cruise control after the last 18 months of concentrating on this, now its more maintainance than anything

Fletcher
11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I bought a 36' cape dory sail boat. My wife's idea didnt take her long to
talk me right into it! It's a 1995 model with a atomic4 80 gal. fuel 120gal. water
has a frig one of those TV thinges, stereo, hot water,radio vhf, 3 golf cart batts, gen,
solar, 10' dingy w/5hp merc, stove w/oven, gps depth finder, and on and on!

crashdive123
11-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Here's something that I haven't done yet, but this thread got me thinking that I need to. This week I will take an inventory of all of my emergency supplies and equipment. I will ensure that everything is in working order. I will also begin to rotate my gasoline supples since prices are down.

rebel
11-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I bought a 36' cape dory sail boat. My wife's idea didnt take her long to
talk me right into it! It's a 1995 model with a atomic4 80 gal. fuel 120gal. water
has a frig one of those TV thinges, stereo, hot water,radio vhf, 3 golf cart batts, gen,
solar, 10' dingy w/5hp merc, stove w/oven, gps depth finder, and on and on!

Thats a fine looking vesel. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/Cape-Dory-Cutter-1912148/Alameda/CA/United-States

Any immediate plans?

crashdive123
11-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Are you going to sail it to Alaska in December?

wareagle69
11-22-2008, 09:36 AM

maybe i should post in sensory awareness cuz i knew that question was acoming

Fletcher
11-22-2008, 10:46 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not that crazy. Plans have changed. Still going to AK we leave
next week amtrac to bellingham AK ferry to Kech-a-can fly to Tlok walk
to freinds house. Pick up dogs checkout and or fix sleds pack up and leave for cabin. Spend 45 glory filled days in the SNOW!!!!!!!!!!

wareagle69
11-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Here's something that I haven't done yet, but this thread got me thinking that I need to. This week I will take an inventory of all of my emergency supplies and equipment. I will ensure that everything is in working order. I will also begin to rotate my gasoline supples since prices are down.

alaways important folks to inventory and rotate supplies notice what you use more of and stock up, also same for what you don't use i have purchased some things cuz it was a sale but don't like much so it sits- stag chilli vegetable comes to mind heated it is not bad but i eat a cold can of whatever every day- guys in the lunch room don't get it but as i tell them in the military i would often go several days w/o a hot meal and i just like keeping it real, what if you fuel supplies are limited or you have to go tactical it always pays to listen to unca eagle when he says what

(altogether now)

always be prepared-prepare all ways

ClayPick
11-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Last Wednesday I rounded up my snow shovels and left them on the porch. It must have been a premonition because I’ll need them all this weekend.

crashdive123
11-22-2008, 12:16 PM
ClayPick - what part of Nova Scotia? I used to spend my summers in Riverport when I was a kid.

When you get a chance, shovel on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

ClayPick
11-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Northeast of Riverport. Burncoat Head on the Minas Baisin. I’m still shoveling. There’s about a foot of wet stuff that sticks like glue.:)

crashdive123
11-22-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't shovel snow anymore (not a big demand for it here) but I remember rubbing ski wax on the shovel to prevent sticking.

Rick
11-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey, LadyTrapper is from up that way. There's another one that hasn't been on in a while.

davef
11-24-2008, 05:27 PM
On Sunday I took my brand new shotgun out and shot off about 30 #4 shells.
This was the first time it had been shot, and I was surprised that it didn't kick
as much as I thought it would. My buddy had an Ithica Featherlight 12 gauge,
and although the barrel was longer (26" as opposed to my 20"), it kicked like a
mule. I found out that this is because of the light weight. Also found out that
he was shooting 00 buckshot :o

Sunday evening, after supper, myself, my wife, his wife and him sat down and
talked about the "end of the world as we know it" scenario that was posted
elsewhere on this forum. The discussion eventually turned to what we would
do in the event of a local emergency bug out. All in all, a nice way to spend a
weekend.

Rick
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
What? And my name wasn't even mentioned? Well, thanks a lot!

This Minister of Science gig has some serious down side to it.

fishpole
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
this saterday i went out into the woods and shot a nice fat doe. needless say i spent sunday trimming fat and skinning deer lol, which is fine of course and an expected and even welcomed part of the process for me. the meat will be put into the freezer wednesday after it ages a little more. venison is needed this year more than ever now that im in college with no meal plan so this is an extra special gift this season as it will safe me quite a bit of cash.

Rick
11-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I checked and changed the batteries in my smoke alarms.

Cannonman17
11-27-2008, 08:45 PM
I guess this week was similar to last week, more basics.
1 Quart lamp oil from the dollar store
1 extra oil lamp wick found at a garage sale for a quarter.
6 cans of canned chicken that were on sale
vaccum packed 6lbs of noodles and put in sealed bucket
bought 6 bags of dried beans (haven't done anything with them yet)
Got two like new food grade sealable buckets for free
Bought two 2lb boxes of canning salt and one container of canning lyme.
bought six tins of kippered snacks, even if my family was starving I would still have these to myself as they detest even the smell of them *smile* (.98 each)
Added two more ounces of fine silver to my safe
Worked some more on my AK build project (demilling the kit now)
bought a book on how to make my own fruit cellar (tonight in fact on amazon for under 10 bucks)
Put new line on all my ice fishing equipment and bought a new set of blades for the auger
Bought a bottle of potassium iodide pills (spelling?) they weren't all that expensive I found.
Bought a brick of .22LR rounds despite having enough ammo for all my guns to last my lifetime and my kid's lifetimes.
Experimented with making my own pickeled eggs this week... second try, last one not so good as I added too much pickling spice.
Added 12 rolls of tp to the tp stockpile to end all stockpiles.
Took sealed tin of AK ammo (700 rounds) to parents house to store in their basement.
bought 12 jars of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes (3 for .99 at a second hand store)
Finally vaccum sealed this years crop of dry beans (ALL HEIRLOOM) I put half in the freezer and half on the shelf, I will see if there is any desparity in the germination rates come spring.
Last but not least I read tons and tons of posts on this site *thumbs up!* but came to the conclusion that 1) There are a number of people who will die from starvation and/or dieseas surrounded by all their weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo but nobody believes that they are "that" person. 2) Too many people (young folks I suppose) are actually looking forward to something happening... that's sad. By all means we should all be praying that we never need to use any of this stuff other than in the usual rotation.

crashdive123
11-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Nice post Cannonman. When you get a chance drop by the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

trax
11-27-2008, 10:58 PM
This week, I stocked up on peyote buttons, what the he!! man if I get snowed in, I don't have cable :D

FVR
11-27-2008, 11:49 PM
My wife got a deal on bottled water, 10 one gal. containers, for free. Stockpiled it downstairs.

Runs With Beer
11-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I think I ate the whole turkey ,Oooo wos is me.

Sourdough
11-27-2008, 11:57 PM
:(Tested the back-up generator........RELUCTANTLY....:mad:

wareagle69
11-28-2008, 09:35 AM
went to local outfitting store last night bought a new map of my area not topo but fishing and rec map large enough to give me an idea of whats out there but not too detailed to lose in the details, bought a small kettle for making tea ( got this idea from allan i can heat up water for anything this way and i saw some folks stranded on a hiway for 15 hours trapped in there cars i would be the guy with a bivouac site set up along the tree line on the side of the highway makeing soup and tea and a nice warm fire my sleeping bag and bivy sac) and bought a new strick force fire starter more bulky than my swedish fire steel won't carry it on my belt like i do the swede but the mag bar is really thick it goes into my halver sack which is always beside me

davef
11-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I'd tell you what I did this week for prep, but my wife reads this site too,
and that would give away her Christmas present:D

First snow of the year today.
Same day we are moving my mom from the seniors home to live with my
youngest brother. Keep the family together in case of emergency, help with costs, and give mom some company. She wasn't doing so well in there.

Have to set up the new backup generator this weekend and check it out.

Cheers

wildWoman
11-28-2008, 03:42 PM
I've been cheating on you guys...in the effort to further my survival in the wilderness, I've been frequenting a different forum ((hears collective inhaling of breath))
- not to worry, one on a different topic, one for writers ((hears collective exhaling)). Since my writing is what pays my bills such as they are out in the woods, I figured it's high time to take it a bit more seriously and actually get more skilled in that department. Especially since I just got into it by accident and have been flying by the seat of my pants for over a year.

crashdive123
11-28-2008, 04:45 PM
There's that talk again about other forums.:eek::eek::eek:;)

Fletcher
12-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I bought 15 boxes of swiss miss with marshmallows.

trax
12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
There's that talk again about other forums.:eek::eek::eek:;)

She lives in isolation in Canada's far north man, she just throws stuff like that out there cuz she gets some weird laughs out of scaring you. Don't be afraid, come back to the monitor....there ya go....other forums! pshaw! sez I..!

trax
12-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't shovel snow anymore (not a big demand for it here) but I remember rubbing ski wax on the shovel to prevent sticking.

You'd probably draw some stares from the neighbors alright (hey!! how come he gets to have snow...not fair!!) spraying that Pam stuff on shovel blades and snowblower augers works too, prevents the sticking.

nell67
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Picked up anothe 3200 pounds of corn and took it to have ground into feed,animals are taken care of for a while now,the pigs I got 6 weeks ago have grown substantially on all the feed they can eat,will be butchering them in about a month.Cost me $60 this time to have it ground and add v&m

pigs -3@ $8 each
Corn-free
grinding-$78 ($60 this trip,and $18 last trip)
about $40 in gas

= some pretty cheap bacon:)

dolfan87
12-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Just picked up a Rugar M77 30.06 with a Leupold VX I 4-12x40 scope today. Gun was used, scope was new. Overall I am really happy with the set up so far.

I also sat down and cataloged everything I have in my survival kits, and e mailed that to a friend who is just now getting into the idea of all this. Realized I still need a lot of stuff. ;)

laughing beetle
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
picked up a few extra gallons of windshield "blue juice".

Runs With Beer
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Ive been very busy with WORK, But I try to do a lot of things in my head, What left of it.

wareagle69
12-11-2008, 10:11 PM
slow week for me really did not do anything extra to prepare just followed my daily routies like never letting the gas tank go below half, last sunday the wife and i were on the way to a family function, and as always i was going on about the merits of being prepared- this topic on winter hiway travel thru some remote areas so i aks her what happens if a traffic accident closes the hiway? she says turn around and either go back home or back to town to moms.so a few klicks later on the divided hiway we see an accident with the hiway closed down. well beig that the two lane hiways are seperated there would be no way to turn around so you would have to sit and wait it out she says she sees my point. i like being right she hates it

dolfan87
12-11-2008, 11:37 PM
I bought 500 rounds of .22, and two boxes of 165 grain 30 06 (it was all they had in stock!)

I also began reading, and watching videos on how to dry meat. I am going to give it a go this weekend.

crashdive123
12-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Formed a neighborhood watch on our street. Had a meet and greet with just about everybody on the street.

Badawg
12-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I recently picked up two "72 hour kits" from longlifefoods And got them out of the cardboard and into a 20 gallon poly Barrel. Let me tell you, that's a tight fit! I couldn't get it all in there so I took a few meals and stuck them in my CERT bag. Sealed that turkey up and we now have an easy couple of weeks worth of MRE's for the big earthquake I hope never comes. And in a rodent resistant case too! I also drained a 35 gallon sealed top barrel and refilled it with fresh water. I do that every couple of years, 'cause nobody wants 'old water'...

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I put togather a Cold weather Flood survival package that addresses almost every need,
without exceeding the 150LB. "manageable equipment weight"

mcfd45
12-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I was at work parked in front of a barnes and nobles. Bored outta my mind so I went inside and bought a book of knots. It was nice, came with some cheap rope. I went and replaced that with 550 cord.
Found a deal on pasta sauce, I am addicted to alfredo I tell you.
Passed my class WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Currently trying to survive a cold.

mcfd45
12-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I spent some money at meijer today and this is what i got

4 cases of dasani 2 for 9 bucks
some canned veggies 6 for 3 bucks
2 100 rounds of remington golden bullets in a fancy plastic package. Funny sidenote the receipt says REMINGTON STD. Haha I chuckled
some pasta sauce
2 peanut butter jars in glass not plastic
some sudafed so I can survive this cold.

chiangmaimav
12-14-2008, 06:45 PM
I planted some different kinds of chilis, especially the ones people call bird**** chili. They put these things in most of the Thai food, and I love them. They are viciously hot, but Karen rebels told me to keep some in your pocket while in jungle, and chew them when very hungry. I tried this and it works, as after you eat them you don't want to eat anything else.
I also got involved with local Christian church and have met many people, including Americans. Networking like the man says
I used to have an SP-101 and I loved it. I am in same position as Freki. Cannot own firearms here. I also have a crossbow, which was made by Hmong hilltribe. It is different than style you would find in the west, but it is good for taking small game.

SARKY
12-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Made some upgrades to my survival gear, Got a 6liter hydration bladder to replace the 3 liter bladder i had in my BOB. Tossed my strike anywhere matches and filled the containers with petrolium jellyed cotton balls, grab a twig , stick it in the cotton balls, give it a twirl, pull it out and hit it with a spark from my flint and steel and i have a match that won't go out even in the rain.

doug1980
12-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Well I logged on to my computer, signed on this forum, and started reading. I feel more prepared already. lol

crashdive123
12-14-2008, 08:40 PM
....and so do others because of some of the things you have asked and answered.

rockymtnchief
12-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Topped off the gas tank, polished/waterproofed the boots, broke out my face masks for the cold weather, checked the edges on all my knives, rotated some canned food.

dolfan87
12-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Ok, I made my first batch of jerky today. Turned out pretty good, and it's already all gone! lol

I want to make the next batch outside, and smoke it over a fire. I also really want to get proficient at doing friction fire methods, so I am going to start working on that as well this week.

Dave Johns
12-14-2008, 11:35 PM
I donated a pint 'o my best to the Red Cross. Also made contact with the local CERT administrator. Gonna go see about getting certified and volunteer for the cert/rescue squad.

Aside from that, bought just a little more ammunition than I shot off.

nell67
12-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Bought some tire chains this year,have been practicing how to install them,looks like I am gonna need them today.

crashdive123
12-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Tire chains??? Oh yeah, I remember them. Sitting at my Mom-In-Laws (hitting the road to head back home today). My Sis-In-Law and her family is here too. Mom is head back with Sis for Christmas. We looked at the weather this morning for their trip (Minot, ND) - -25* F, couple of feet of snow...quite a difference from central Florida.

doug1980
12-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Tire chains??? Oh yeah, I remember them. Sitting at my Mom-In-Laws (hitting the road to head back home today). My Sis-In-Law and her family is here too. Mom is head back with Sis for Christmas. We looked at the weather this morning for their trip (Minot, ND) - -25* F, couple of feet of snow...quite a difference from central Florida.

Minot, my wife was stationed there for three years. Then she got orders to AK and she was so happy. Thankfully I never lived there, sounds like a crappy place. lol

crashdive123
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Probably gonna visit this summer. Yesterday while looking at a national weather map, I looked over at Sis-In-Law and said "Do you realize that if you walk outside right now, it is 105* F warmer than in Minot?" ..... I got the one finger salute.

doug1980
12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Probably gonna visit this summer. Yesterday while looking at a national weather map, I looked over at Sis-In-Law and said "Do you realize that if you walk outside right now, it is 105* F warmer than in Minot?" ..... I got the one finger salute.

LOL right now I'm missing Southern Florida. Lived in Fort Lauderdale for 5 years, man I wish I was back there now.

crashdive123
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Just got back from a few day visit. It was 80* F there. Not quite as warm here in the northern part of the state (77* F)

dougz
12-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Put together a "ready" pack.

Went on a 3 mile field test in -22C..

Bought a Gerber Big Rock..

cabingirl
12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I bought 100 lbs. pinto beans, and rice. Then put mylar bags in 5 gallon buckets, sealed bags and put tops on buckets. Then cut mylar bag's into 4 pieces, took my iron and sealed the sides to make smaller mylar's. Put pop corn in some, oat meal in some and sealed the mylars, put into five gallon buckets.Stored 75 lbs. of sugar the same way.

crashdive123
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Cabingirl - two questions for you. Where do you get your mylar bags? What setting do you put your iron on to seal them? Thanks.

cabingirl
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I ordered the mylar bags from :
John Tucker
AAOOB Storable Foods
28632 Highway 435
Abita Springs La 70420-2720

They sell cheaper than any others I have found, I paid something like $1.89 for each bag. You can cut the bags into 1/4 if you like.Or order smaller bags, if you order the 1 gallon sized bags they will cost you one dollar each. They also sell the oxyen obsorbers that you will need to us.
You will need to set your iron on the wool setting, it needs to be hot. Rub about 1/2 of the edge with the hot iron slowly. It works great.

crashdive123
12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I ordered the mylar bags from :
John Tucker
AAOOB Storable Foods
28632 Highway 435
Abita Springs La 70420-2720

They sell cheaper than any others I have found, I paid something like $1.89 for each bag. You can cut the bags into 1/4 if you like.Or order smaller bags, if you order the 1 gallon sized bags they will cost you one dollar each. They also sell the oxyen obsorbers that you will need to us.
You will need to set your iron on the wool setting, it needs to be hot. Rub about 1/2 of the edge with the hot iron slowly. It works great.

Thank you.......

tsitenha
12-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Rotated some of the food stock, made seasonal adjustment to gear, started to lighten the snow load (+2') on sheds, house, trailer.

skunkkiller
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
got my dimond fly out of the truck unrolled it to make sure knife axe and shovel were all sharp putin some more parched rice and dried beans coffee and sewed some hole up in my wool blaket I'm going to do a winter trek about the 1st of the year. working on my cross country skies right now to make sure they are in good working order.

larmus
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
brought the camping gear to the front of the shed and checked everything out to see if it was in working order, rotated food stock, checked tac. gear and weapons cleaned, practiced my knot tieing and did some survival reading on odds and ends...

dolfan87
12-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey Larmus...where in southwest AZ you at?

larmus
12-16-2008, 09:10 PM
down benson way, right off I-10... so probably not southwest as south east'r/west'r i think. everything is southwest'ern form me...lol.

laughing beetle
12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
just got the propane and kerosene tanks topped off. bought a couple bags of used paperbacks for 10 bucks. Reading material is nice to have on hand for when the power is out. picked up more lamp oil and some extra wicks.

chiye tanka
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Picked up a Kahr PM 40 for urban survival. It shoots great for as small as it is, and fits in my front pocket, you wouldn't even know it's there.

DuncanM
12-21-2008, 04:26 AM
I've started planning my trip through europe, either for Summer this year, or January next year. I've started doing some training too, just some running and self discipline (gotta start waking up in the morning...). I've also started looking around for more info on surviving in the wild (this is my first post here!)

Sourdough
12-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Bought a Super Wide Track for hauling water. I am to old to pull the 240 pound water sled, now that the snow is deep. (Up hill both ways:() It is hard to pull a 240# sled on snowshoes, and downright dangerous on the down hill part.

crashdive123
12-21-2008, 08:18 AM
You're becoming down right civilized there Hope.......don't worry, we'll keep your secret.

wareagle69
12-21-2008, 09:48 AM
worked on skills with mrs eagle she is going down south for christams 5 hours south thru the snow belt and they have been getting hammered this year so we covered allot of hiway skills what to carry in the truck and what to do in different scenarios, she goes to the south several times a year, but the french river is my border won't cross it anymore

nell67
12-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Borrowed a 22 rifle to take care of the neighbors dogs,who seem to believe that the chickens here are quite the delicacy,called the animal control officer,who had already picked up 8 that morning,and had no room for these dogs,so he said you know what you need to ddo,just make sure you do it on your own property.

crashdive123
12-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Shoot the neighbors ---- dogs are just being dogs.

nell67
12-21-2008, 10:13 AM
LMAO,thats a good idea,don't care much for them anyway,the animal control officer did FINALLY come this week and remove their horses,which every month around the 13th-15th were allowed to run loose in the area,can't tell you how many times I have almost hit them when they run out into the middle of the road.

A190
12-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Shoot the neighbors ---- dogs are just being dogs.

Glad Im not your neighbor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will wave more often:)

We practice the three S around here.
Shoot,shovel,shut up.................hope that helps,,,,,,,,,,,just dont utilize it on your neighbor

minuteman
12-21-2008, 05:10 PM
What did I do this week to prepare? I bought a brand new Ruger 1022 and a box of 500 rounds to add to my bug out bag.

crashdive123
12-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Good deal Minuteman. How about shooting over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Kankujoe
12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Fun reading this thread... nothing too exciting for me to write but here goes...

I reworked a few of my survival kits, smaller one that goes in my computer bag with me to work (now it is a self-contained kit so I can move it from bag to bag), second is my Jeep kit (added a folding shovel, a thermolite survival bivy, & a 0* mummy bag). I'm also accumulating additional items to rework my BOB/96hr bags.

Bought a few more bricks of .22 ammo & a box of .40S&W pistol ammo and picked up 4 sets of insultating underware (Merino Wool & Synthetic Duofold), my local PX (Ft. Leavenworth) had them on sale for $6.96 each piece! (everywhere else was $20-$40+ each piece).

Yesterday I helped a friend decide & buy his first firearms purchases... 1)a KelTec P3AT & 2)a Walther P99 9mm. After the New Years I'll help teach him to ppistol shoot & when he's comfortable shooting he'll sign up for a CCW class.

Lastly, I'm getting ready for a cross-country drive to visit my elderly parents... I'll leave Christmas Eve or Christmas morning for Eastern Pennsylvania. After a few days there I'll drive down the East Coast & loop back to Missouri, just 8-9 days of exploring. No set plans, just a little adventure until January 4th.

ClovisMan
12-22-2008, 10:58 AM
This weekend I attempted to build this survivaal kit:
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Survival%20Kit.htm
I'm still a few items shy. I need the filter straw and the small baking pan. Not even Wally-World has a pan that small!!! I guess I need to EvilBay it.

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
ClovisMan - a canteen cup works pretty good for the kit M40 has described. I made one that way. It is a bit larger than the pan, so I have it in a pouch that goes on my belt rather than attached to my kukri

tonester
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
this week i am finally gonna start putting together my bail out bag. so far ive got a mini flashlight with extra batteries, bic lighter and fire steel, a compass, a small first aid kit, and some water purifier. i still wanna get some local maps and few other miscellaneous items.

tsitenha
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Acquired quite a few packs of TP for storage, along with garbage bags.

crashdive123
12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Another gun show in town the weekedn after Christmas. Time to make my wish list.

tonester
12-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Another gun show in town the weekedn after Christmas. Time to make my wish list.

yup same here. i wanna get some some ammo for my handguns and rifle.

doug1980
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Well I completed my survival "tin" made a few of those 10 cent knives, unpacked and took inventory of my Jeep kit and replenished a few items that were used last time out, went to REI and looked at packs and sleeping bags to purchase. Didn't buy yet but getting ideas. Currently working on my wifes survival kits and creating a list of things to buy for our upcoming hiking trips this summer.

klkak
12-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I went to the Base Exchange today and bought a new "Leatherman".

doug1980
12-22-2008, 11:42 PM
You were on base and didn't come see me... I'm hurt. LOL

Kankujoe
12-23-2008, 02:51 AM
You were on base and didn't come see me... I'm hurt. LOL

Sorry to temporarily hijack this thread...

What base are you two referring to?

My 26 y/o son now lives in Anchorage (moved there this past Spring). One of his roommates is an Airman but I'm not sure of his duty station.

I hope to visit up there next Spring/Summer. My son frequents the REI up there (not sure if there is more than one).

tonester
12-23-2008, 09:40 AM
just got a good size tarp and two alcohol stoves. i hear that HEET is a really good fuel for the stoves, where can i get some?

Ole WV Coot
12-23-2008, 11:20 AM
My 4X4 truck died a terrible death at the young age of 15 so I am looking for a replacement, probably a Jeep. Reese hitch etc. Warmed up the atv, checked it over and until I get a 4X4 guess I'm stuck(donations graciously accepted), I did clean a few firearms and inventory ammo.

doug1980
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Sorry to temporarily hijack this thread...

What base are you two referring to?

My 26 y/o son now lives in Anchorage (moved there this past Spring). One of his roommates is an Airman but I'm not sure of his duty station.

I hope to visit up there next Spring/Summer. My son frequents the REI up there (not sure if there is more than one).

Joint Military Base Elmendorf/Fort Richardson. I've only been to REI once so not sure if there is more than one, but I don't think so.

crashdive123
12-23-2008, 08:01 PM
just got a good size tarp and two alcohol stoves. i hear that HEET is a really good fuel for the stoves, where can i get some?

Automotive stores, automotive section of stores like WalMart, and of course, on line.

Arsey
12-24-2008, 06:14 AM
More Olive oil, vegetable oil, toilet paper, dog food, a catapult, diesel 40ltr, topped up the cars, and lots of Christmas presents.

Ohio Rusty
12-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Since it is getting cold (below freezing) here in Ohio, I took my prep buckets that are filled with wheat berries, bags of flour, rice, cormeal, oats, etc. out of the basement pantry and moved them to the garage for the winter. Getting these dry goods down below freezing will kill any larvae or moths that could be in my dry goods. I haven't seen any yet, and this will help prevent infeststations of any kind of vermin.

I also broke down the bulk sizes of wheat and rice into smaller packages so if one small 2 quart baggie were to get moths, it won't infest the whole 5 gallon bucket. Much easier and cost efficient to protect your survival grains and food. Any 5 factory 5 pound bags of flour, bread flour and corn meal, those factory paper bags were sealed in heavy mil plastic bags to again prevent any infestations from happening.
Ohio Rusty ><>

crashdive123
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Finished rotating my stored gasoline.

mcfd45
01-05-2009, 02:14 AM
I got a great deal on canned veggies. I got an Esbut stove and some trioxione cubes for it. I got a couple bottles of iodine tabs. I bought a book about self sufficient living.

dolfan87
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Made my first fire with a bow drill. :D

Madrox
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Stored away more water, purchased some more ammo a few weeks ago. Apparently .45acp is hard to find in my town. :(

Also moving forward with more supplies here and there. Figuring out a few ways to secure the house more then it already is.

I usually buy a can of something (the large ones) every week or time I go shopping. The local King Soopers has Kroger 20lb white rice for $13 (they did 2 weeks ago) so I like to pick one of those up every so often.

RunsWithDeer
01-13-2009, 07:08 PM
We stocked up on more ammo at a gun show this past weekend. .22LR, .223, and 7.62x39. Also purchased some fresh Mountain House meals.

rockymtnchief
01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I learned how to dog sled from Jason Montana and realized I better get back in shape.

crashdive123
01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I learned how to dog sled from Jason Montana and realized I better get back in shape.

Were you pulling.....or did he let you ride?:D

rockymtnchief
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Were you pulling.....or did he let you ride?:D

He let me drive, but didn't warn me about pushing the sled through deep snow uphill with a 240 pound photographer in the sled while trying to keep up with the dogs. I let him know that I hadn't ran that much since I was on Cops running through the trailer court with no shirt on:)

I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything, though.

crashdive123
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a great time. Photographer? We need pictures!

rockymtnchief
01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I took some, but haven't downloaded them yet. The photographer was working for The New York Times. Turns out Jason is a national celebrity! lol

dolfan87
01-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I have always wanted to do that Rocky...in fact I have owned four Siberians over the last 12 years, and had three of them hooked up to a skateboard once. It was fun, but really fast...and a bit uncontrollable. ;o)

What I did this week was re-organize my utility belt, added a molle 3 mag m-16 case and filled it with a poncho, emergency blanket, wire saw, flashlight, compass/whistle/match case/mirror combo thing, water tabs, condoms, and a couple tampons.

I also bought a new 3 liter hydration pack, knife sharpening stones, and a canteen pouch.

Phew.

Stony
01-16-2009, 12:19 AM
NOTHING!
work, buy winter tyres for he girls' truck.

welderguy
01-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Started the chicken coop, and trying to get the ground ready for the garden.

sniperfx
01-16-2009, 02:53 PM
picked up a new knife,canteen,compass,survival manuals for edible plants. etc....

endurance
01-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I picked up a new Lansky sharpener, Les Stroud's book, a Cormic McCarthy book that looks like it might be somewhat on topic, two boxes of Emergen-C, two bottles of Nyquil (had a cold last week and realized it's something I never want to be without), an inflatable mylar vest (www.aerovest.com), and a straw filter for the BOB. I received my UPS order from a couple weeks ago that included three years of non-hybrid seeds.

doug1980
01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Stocked up on free icemelt. Lots of ice around here.

A190
01-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh, I did some stuff. Food and ammo mostly. ALso working on my fence around the place. weather permitting of course

Madrox
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
bought another 20lbs of white rice ($13) along with a few more cans of beans, etc. added another 4.5 gallons of water to the supplies, also found the missing tent stakes so i now have a spare tent.

bought a nice kerosene lamp with 5 gallons of fuel.

already making plans for camping.

edit: also got a Lansky sharpener for myself over the holidays...love it.

nell67
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Butchered a pig ,spent the better part of the day making sage sausage,and sweet italian sausage,had not done this for years,brought back a few memories of my mom and grandmom,when we butchered hogs it took all day to grind the sausage (3 pigs at a time,manual grinder) took about twenty minutes to grind all the sausage.

My first time making italian sausage.

crashdive123
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Woo Hoo! Dinner at Nell's!

rubycon
01-20-2009, 09:42 PM
What did I do this week? Bought 2k rounds of ammo and canned dill pickles.

crashdive123
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Rubycon - How about heading on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

teamonetl
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, due to the number of power outages in the city as of late, I had the fireplace/chimney cleaned (never used it since I bought the house) and bought a few cases of "eco-logs" from HD. They apparently burn hotter and longer than regular wood. So I can keep pipes from freezing if the furnace shuts down due to no power.

laughing beetle
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I have just been fighting with the heater in my car...:( oh! and i discovered that a mouse made a nest in my spare tent!! :eek: LIL' STINKER!!! :mad: Hope he likes the tasty poison I put out for him!!:rolleyes::D:D

vthompson
01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Due to her health and age, my mom is unable to drive so I take her to where she wants to go. In the past week she has asked me to take her to Walmart so that she could pick up a few things that she needs.
While she shopped I killed time in the sporting goods section and after looking around for a while I picked up a few things for BOB since they had a lot of items marked down.
So far, this is what I got: 12 light sticks, 4 waterproof match holders, 4 cans of sterno, 12 pkgs. of fire starters, 4 carabiners, a 5 LED light that clips to the bill of your hat, 1 spool of fishing line, asst. hooks, sinkers, 2 bobbers, 1 signal mirror, and 1 bottle of water treatment tablets.
Today I had to take her back again and this time I concentrated on my first aid kit. I got some peroxide, 10 boxes of butterfly bandaids, 3 boxes of asst. bandaids, neosporin ointment, 1 bottle of betadine, 2 boxes of 4x4 bandages, 1 roll of tape, 1 bottle of aspirin, 1 box of imodium, and 1 ace bandage.
It isn't everything that I want, but it's a start.

endurance
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice shopping trip, vt.

I went to a sportsman's expo and found a pocket k**** that uses a disposable scalpel blade. I picked up two dozen blades (at $.33 each). The next time I'm half way through dressing out a deer, now I don't have to stop and sharpen my knife, I can just change blades. Pretty slick. On top of it, the blades are sterile so if there's a more serious calling for a scalpel, I have them available.

Also finally picked up a Honda EN2500 generator. I can't tell you how many times I came close, but just didn't bite the bullet and buy one. I'm quite happy having it around, just in case. I had a small solar rig with deep cycle battery and 1200w inverter, but it would have been woefully inadequate during the short winter days. Eventually I want to pick up some more solar panels, a charger and larger inverter, but this took care of an urgent need.

A190
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
cleaned my three guns:) function checked them
removed rounds from the magazines and de tensioned the springs.
rotated my ammo with fresh stuff.
hunkered down for the ice storm....:eek:

rockymtnchief
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a great time. Photographer? We need pictures!
Jason being filmed for tv.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/rockymtnchief/DSC00155-1.jpg
Tom Miner Basin
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/rockymtnchief/DSC00176.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/rockymtnchief/DSC00177.jpg
Taking a break.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/rockymtnchief/DSC00183.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/rockymtnchief/DSC00173.jpg

More pics...
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=411001334&albumId=1137326

crashdive123
01-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Great pics. Thanks for letting us have a look.

higgy
01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
What did I do today to prepare? Bought a pack of smokes for my pack. I don't smoke anymore but from what I read on the silver thread, they are worth gold under the right circumstances. Maybe I should open the pack and smell them to make sure they are fresh.......mmm

higgy
01-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Btw: nice pics

mcfd45
02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I saw my mom and she gave me my christmas presents. A slinky (goofy family tradition) and 100 gift card at meijers. so i went out and put together a little kit.
32oz nalgene bottle.
gerber clutch pocket multitool
poncho
emergency blanket
whistle/compass/thermometer combo
keychain led light
pocket folding saw
iodine tabs
small bic lighter
matches
break light stick
duck tape rolled onto itself
small fishing kit (hooks, spilt shot, 30' of line wrapped around a pen)
snare wire
bottle of hand sanitizer
folder knife
small first aid kit (steristrips, bandaids, moleskin.)
some hobby knife blades in a plastic container
on the outside is some oxygen tubing (3 feetish)
I plan on wrapping some 550 cord around it.

I also found pasta for 49 cents a box. I loaded up on it. canned veggie 3 for a buck. I loaded up on some of those as well. I got better organized. I added another shelf unit to my stash. I need to get more water. I have 5 cases. I will inventory my stuff and post it on a thread. thanks
Jeff

Madrox
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
- bought another few gallons of water to store
- another bag of rice, another #10 can of beans
- took about 50 practice shots with the 45, saved brass and cleaned the heck out of it
- making plans for some spring training

Rick
02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
First, I have to say those are some awesome pics. Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.

What I did today was buy two more firearms and a few hundred rounds of .45 and 9mm. Don't get all whiny but I found a NIB Kel-Tel Sub 2000 with a Glock 19 grip for $319.00 AND a NIB Highpoint 995 for $169.00. Yeah, that's right, $169.00. Both are 9mm. The Highpoint was mis-priced and the dealer let me have at that price. I bought some high capacity mags to go with both. The dealer will make out okay because I'll be going back to him. Anyone that treats customers like that earns my continued patronage.

nell67
02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Cool beans Rick,that was a heck of a bargain!

Stony
02-11-2009, 01:32 PM
bought another shotun for one of my girls;
service one truck;
give away two unused TV's;
shop for new hunting dogs;
book several clients for trips this summer;
draw up plans to enlarge our main cabin;
put new floor into sauna.

Fletcher
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I cleaned the water tank and the holding tank very nasty sanded and painted the
the hull on my BOB bug out boat....................................

doug1980
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I bought some .40 ammo, I bought a Savage .300 win mag with lots of ammo in case the zombies come. Got extra food and water in case the volcano blows, still waiting for that. We got 2 hiking bags packed and a bag with all the essentials for wheeling trips all ready to go. That about it.

Rick
02-11-2009, 09:06 PM
scribbles note....zombies....volcanoes. so many threats. so little time. so few me.

WgS
02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Those are great pics. I decided this week that I prolly need to prepare. Does that count?

crashdive123
02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
:DYep. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step in fixing it.:D

mcfd45
02-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Went and put 100 down on a taurus 92 STAINLESS:D got some tuna and PB, worked out.

doug1980
02-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Went and put 100 down on a taurus 92 STAINLESS:D got some tuna and PB, worked out.

That a really good gun. I got one but it's all black very comfortable and easy to use.

old soldier
02-12-2009, 07:48 AM
went to Aldis' and spent 225. on more cases of canned vegs which we don't really like(we prefer fresh or froozen) except to make a quick stew with our own canned potatos and beef. My wife will make another trip to a different Aldis' Fri and do the same thing. for about 6 dollars a case compared to our local super which is about 10 dollars a case, it's a good savings. Why do we buy them?, because we have some family members that are still in la la land and we can give the food to them or if the date is about to expire before we need it, it will go to the local pantry.

built two more cages for does' and another cage for a new Buck, Palimino does and a New Zeland buck, rabbit stew anyone? yesterday the temp hit 46 and my bees were out having a blast, it looked like summer except for the 2 ft of snow around the hives.

crashdive123
02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Picked up 15 bricks of 22lr (gotta test the new Charger).

RunsWithDeer
02-13-2009, 07:45 AM
I renewed my lapsed membership to Sam's club and stocked up the pantry. Didn't put up enough veggies last year. Won't be long and we will be starting garden plants for the spring, will be putting in more green beans and sweet corn than we did last year.

Fletcher
02-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I picked up another GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! winchester mod. 275 .22 mag its a pump
$100.00 I've already had to work on the trigger. Shooting it hurt my finger to
fire it. I used my trigger pulling thingie and it was off the scale! I've got it down to 6#
now so i can put the C-Clamp away now......................................

laughingbeetle
02-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I got 55 lbs of whole wheat flour from my job...FREE! We carry the Bob's Red Mill line but for whatever reason we don't carry the organic whole wheat flour. The bosses gave it away to the employees, but noone on my shift wanted it but me, so I took it. :D Gonna have tasty bread and biscuits...........gotta get some coffee going......

BruceZed
02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Purchased a new strikers

mcfd45
02-15-2009, 02:14 PM
I plan on going to the store and getting some more water.
I have 250 left on the gun. I'm so excited:D Pics will come when I get her.
I want to go to the surplus store and do some shopping, I need some 550 cord, an E tool and whatever else cathes my eye.

Jeff

vthompson
02-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I stocked up my first aid kit a little better this week. I was at Walmart so I loaded up on butterfly bandages, bandaids, gauze,etc. It is stuff that don't weigh that much and you can stuff them right in your kit. I also got some Israeli wound dressings along with a bag of Celox.

WgS
02-15-2009, 03:04 PM
In the past year, I have been slowly collecting: pack, knives, fishing gear, gun, ammo, emergency first aid supplies, food stores, foraging guides and maps. Today, I am starting a complete inventory so that I can compare it against a list I am compiling of recommended gear.

chiye tanka
02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Picked up 15 bricks of 22lr (gotta test the new Charger).

Hey Crash, have you seen the stocks ProMag is making for the charger?

crashdive123
02-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey Crash, have you seen the stocks ProMag is making for the charger?

No I haven't.

chiye tanka
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Try ProMag's web site. They have a stock that is more user-friendly, runs around $200.00.

crashdive123
02-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I'll look, but I probably won't modify it. Kind of like it the way it came, besides for something like that I doubt I would spend almost as much on a new stock as I did on the pistol.

rebel
02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
2 hour snow shoe hike followed with rifle and pistol practice. Started a fire and cooked lunch.

I took a friend some deer meat and gave him a machete for his kit. He gave me a dozen fresh eggs and an invitation for spring turkey hunting.

laughingbeetle
02-27-2009, 07:23 AM
I am getting my hiking gear/trail pack ready for some good times tromping around the Adirondacks and the North Country. Now that I am back up near the base (Fort Drum) I can get some replacement gear that is in better condition than some of what I am using now.

woodsman86
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Rotated my stock of MREs out with new ones
Bought a new knife sharpener and sharpened all my knives
Made two more 550 cord donuts
Buttered wife up to bless off on new gun purchases

dolfan87
02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I ordered another 60 rounds of 30.06, a suture kit, and began stocking food.

Dennis K.
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I've been gradually increasing my store of dry goods. Every week at the grocery store, I buy 1 extra of what I will actually use. I keep sharpies in the pantry to label date everything so that I can rotate stock.

laughingbeetle
03-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I just went through my knives last night and set about repairing any chips or pits. I come across older jack-knives occasionaly, they make for great extra blades to carry out in the bush. Usually are missing the big blade, but half the time when I need a blade, it is for some fussy little job where I need a small (1" or 2") blade. Garage sales and second hand junk shops are great for those junk blades. I pay a buck at the most, and if I get a couple of good uses out of it I am happy. Recycling at its best!!

mcfd45
03-01-2009, 02:32 PM
went to the mall with my friends. I got a LED crank lantern, it has a radio, alarm, several settings for the light. I picked up the gun, she is a beaut. I got 300 rounds of ammo for her, ordered 2 mags from cabelas. I got some IV supplies and added them to my first aid kit. I got some triangular bandages and put them into my kit. I got a magnesium fire starter.

I am thinking of trading my marlin model 60 for a remington 597. I like the magazines and my dad has one and has said nothing but good things about it, I figure I could get 80 bucks for it and put that toward a 597. I am not a big fan of the 10/22, just personal preference.
Jeff

endurance
03-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Finally took my gun safety class so I can apply for my CCW. Jeesh, that was too easy. I should have done it years ago!

Amazon
03-03-2009, 02:21 AM
We replaced handles on all the garden implements and axes. I bought 6 rubbermaid
18 gallon container totes, with lock tight lids for 5 bucks each. I found 64oz of lamp oil
for $4.00 and bought 4 bottles. All the above for less than 75.00.
great week!

crashdive123
03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Yesterday while working in a neighborhood somebody had a large pile of what some would call trash (I call stuff I might be able to use) by the curb. Found 4 large (10" high, 6" diameter) candles and a rusted propane cylinder (20 lb). Put the candles in my wax stash and exchanged the cylinder for a refurbished one for about the price of a propane fill.

chiye tanka
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I picked up a Springfield SOCOM II and 300 rounds of ammo. :rambo:

crashdive123
03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
The SOCOM II is on my wish list. A bit spendy though - gotta save my nickles.

MatthewnOK
03-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Finished my PSK tin.
Buying some stuff for my BOB
Getting some extra 20 ga. for my mossie
And starting to store up some food in 5 gallon buckets.

chiye tanka
03-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Crash, I'll have to tell you how that came to be.:)

doren
03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Finally picked up a canteen cup and cup stove.

Scoobywan
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Started work on my computer certifications so maybe I can get a job to buy some supplies. Is sad that we have to have pieces of paper that tell people we know what we know, why can't people just quiz you at the interview (this has happened twice to me)...

Madrox
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
- bought 500rds of .45
- added some beans, rice and water to the stash
- went practice shooting with some like minded folks.
- added some candles from the local thrift stores to the stash as well

rebel
03-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I temp hired an out of work neighbor for a month. There seems to be a surplus of projects.
Today I made 7 pies to spread around the hood. I'm not looking forward to the clean-up.

Rick
03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Were any of those apple or pecan pies? I work for food.

Stairman
03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Tried out a 2-stick fireboard instead of the standard hearth.Drilled right thru with no coal only dust.

rebel
03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Were any of those apple or pecan pies? I work for food.

:chef:
3 cherry, 2 blueberry and 2 raspberry.

Rick
03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
What time do I start?

endurance
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Sighted in my newest addition, a Browning .270 Win. Love at first shot. Beautiful tight little three round group at 100 yards. Two out of three holes were touching.

Bought a new H&K fixed blade knife. Just the right size and weight for my purposes.

Went to three different Walgreens stores taking advantage of some clearance sale stuff. Picked up Arnica gel for $3, Hydrocortizone cream for $.87 a tube, hand sanitizer for $.50, and bandaids (can't recall how much).

Finished reading The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. Excellent book. It's about a group of men escaping a Russian prison in northern Siberia and covering thousands of miles to get to freedom. I hate to borrow from book jackets, but it really was riveting. Highly recommended.

Started putting together a new hiking survival kit starting with a cookie tin that I picked up at Walgreens. Pics will follow when it's complete.

gryffynklm
03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
1. Planned out shade garden, trying to maximize use of my shaded lot. Bought some seeds
2. made an alcohol burner and a multi fuel stove. Works ok but aluminum can is to thin.
3. finished the design for under deck hide storage.
4. Shopping at REI for BOB odds and ends.
5. Antiquing. picked up a saw sharpening vice, 3 small leg traps, 3 round tins for stove experiments $28 not bad.

Rick
03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Note to self...check under Karl's deck for hidden storage.

crashdive123
03-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Second note to self...be on the alert for small leg traps around hidden storage.

gryffynklm
03-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Hay, you gave away the trap secret. Besides its the deck thats hidden.

Madrox
03-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Sighted in my newest addition, a Browning .270 Win. Love at first shot. Beautiful tight little three round group at 100 yards. Two out of three holes were touching.

Bought a new H&K fixed blade knife. Just the right size and weight for my purposes.

Went to three different Walgreens stores taking advantage of some clearance sale stuff. Picked up Arnica gel for $3, Hydrocortizone cream for $.87 a tube, hand sanitizer for $.50, and bandaids (can't recall how much).

Finished reading The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. Excellent book. It's about a group of men escaping a Russian prison in northern Siberia and covering thousands of miles to get to freedom. I hate to borrow from book jackets, but it really was riveting. Highly recommended.

Started putting together a new hiking survival kit starting with a cookie tin that I picked up at Walgreens. Pics will follow when it's complete.

nice! I just got a 30-30 I need to site in. Is there a range you went to specifically in the Denver area? I'm near downtown but usually drive south to Dragon Mans as I like his range.

Looking forward to seeing the kit in the cookie tin too.

endurance
03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
nice! I just got a 30-30 I need to site in. Is there a range you went to specifically in the Denver area? I'm near downtown but usually drive south to Dragon Mans as I like his range.

Looking forward to seeing the kit in the cookie tin too.
It's on Jewell about one block west of Wadsworth. It's new owners and a new name (used to be Foothills Guns), but I can't recall. It's a relatively non-descript grey building on the south side of Jewell with most of the parking in the back.

They have a 50' handgun range and a 100 yard indoor rifle range. Very nice facility for sighting in with benchrests at every station on the rifle side. It's not cheap, but you don't have to worry about wind and other conditions affecting your sighting in process when you're shooting inside. Bring plugs and muffs, it's very loud!

I'm almost done with the kit. Just trying to figure out how to get enough cordage into it without sacrificing something else I need.

crashdive123
03-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm almost done with the kit. Just trying to figure out how to get enough cordage into it without sacrificing something else I need.

Rather than putting all of your cordage inside the tin, wrap the outside with it as well.

Rick
03-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Planted seeds for 72 plants this morning. I have the seeds under plastic to help germinate. Quite a mix with tomatoes, bush beans, peppers, peas, Romansco broccoli, arugula, watermelon and butternut squash.

Ken
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Quite a mix with tomatoes, bush beans......

These? You can grow 'em already CANNED???

nell67
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
These? You can grow 'em already CANNED???
Only in RIck's "fairy" world ,Ken!

Revelation1412
03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
As bad as things are, sometimes we just need to remember that there are a lot of people out there who are having even a more difficult time than we are.