PDA

View Full Version : Shovel huntin...

Nomad
11-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Caution, this post For amusement only. :eek:
A couple years ago we had 3 skunks start coming up in the yard. My dog got sprayed once and we had a time getting that stink off. wouldn't ya know it happened again about a week later. I was furious. I had no gun at the time so I couldn't do anything about them. It seems about 2 to 3 times a week they would spray out in the yard and the smell would permeate the house and wake me up at around 3 am or so. I woke up one night around that time to that wonderful aroma. I had enough, I was furious. I put on my jammies (rambo jammies of course) went to the shed and grabbed a shovel. scouted the yard for the offender and marched his direction. he saw me get closer and for some strange reason began to waddle towards me. Once close enough I gave him the heave ho on the noggin with that shovel, he curled up and went to sleep, after releasing of course. Out to the field he went. a couple nights later, skunk # 2 met his fate. Strangely enough he waddled up to me also. Skunk # 3 never came back around for some reason.

chiye tanka
11-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Nomad, I lived in Salisbury, MA for a couple years. There is a large population of all white skunks there, not albinos. I had to dispatch one with my bow one night for darn near the same reason.
Wonder if they were related?:D

flandersander
11-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I found one in my live racoon cage trap today. So I covered the trap with an old BBQ cover, opened the trap door and flipped it over. the door stayed open and it kept stomping on the trap floor, as if trying to scare me. Out it ran, and I chased it. I had my 10/22 with my 3-9x36 scope. He fallowed the water's edge so I ran ahead of it, and gave it a .22 cal. headache. turns out, spraying isn't always something they do on purpose. It must have sprayed for 45 seconds. It just kept coming and coming.

klkak
11-12-2008, 03:30 AM
I love that smell. I use a mixture of skunk urine, skunk essences and white petroleum jelly as a lure for wolverine and marten sets. When I come in off the trap line my wife makes me undress in the garage and put my clothes in a gar-bag until I can wash them.

crashdive123
11-12-2008, 08:59 AM
So what you're saying is that Debra doesn't think your career path should veer into the cologne and perfume market.

tuxdad
11-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Nomad,

It sounds like you had the very same problem a couple of my relatives had.. It may be mating season for skunks, if you had them spraying all times of noght.. My uncle had four males, under his house.. From what I remember about the mating season, they pretty much have a "pissing"(err spraying) contest, to see who's the most potent.. Be very glad this didn't happen in a crawlspace or anything where you couldn't get at them..

Glad you were able to remedy the problem...lol

Tux

Badawg
11-12-2008, 06:06 PM
My FiL called me up a couple years ago, and said, You have to help us! can you come over right away? So I jump in the car and drive on over. House and yard stink to hi heaven of skunk. He tells me "one moved in under the house and I have been trying to flood him out but he won't go. Will you crawl under and help me chase it out?"

Now I'm really bumming as I can't say no, he gave me his firstborn and all... So I put on a tyvec suit, gogles and a pesticide mask he had waiting and go in through the mud a nd sh*t... Turns out he didn't really move in, he got run over and crawled in to try to die in peace. So We drag the poor sucker out and I dispatched him with a square point...

It was weeks before I could smell anything other than skunk, and they had to wash everything in the house a dozen times... Seems the skunker part was stuck in the open position...

klkak
11-12-2008, 06:18 PM
So what you're saying is that Debra doesn't think your career path should veer into the cologne and perfume market.

I think she would think it a gift from God if I were to give up trapping.:D

skully
08-12-2009, 09:53 AM
one day when i was younger I went to the zoo and was sitting down near a cage eating a hotdog when i smelt somthing strange i turned around and got sprayed right in the face a lady took a picture of me crying and posted it on the net it was one of the most shameful days of my life

Rick
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/homer_doh.jpg

edr730
08-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Dead or alive, they can still spray. Lift the tail of a dead one who's tail is down and you'll find out. They like those little marshmallows if you want to coax him over to you. If you are brave enough you can hold down his tail so he can't spray. Or you can pick him up by the tail so he can't spray....about head high should be about right.

Rick
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I think it would just be a lot easier to call you since you know how it all works.

Sarge47
08-12-2009, 08:02 PM
one day when i was younger I went to the zoo and was sitting down near a cage eating a hotdog when i smelt somthing strange i turned around and got sprayed right in the face a lady took a picture of me crying and posted it on the net it was one of the most shameful days of my lifeSo how much for a copy of the pic, we can post it on the forum! When you were younger? Must of been yesterday! :cool2:

edr730
08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Haha. Although I know people who have caught them by the tail with marshmallows, I prefer the live trap and long rope method. After he's trapped, drag the trap, watch the tail. Preferably, death by drowning so there is no odor. Drag him out of the water, skin him out if you want, just don't lift that tail or you'll need a tomato juice bath.