PDA

View Full Version : Primitive arrows

snakeman
10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Hello all, Do any of yall know how to tip an arrow without a real arrowhead? I have tried to make them out of glass and stone but can't get it to be sharp and pointy. Would a fire hardened tip be good enough for small to medium game?
Thanks for any help.

Bibow
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
the best way would be to make your arrowhead then split your arrow shaft near the tip for around an inch and then slip the arrow head in then tie around it tightly. would suggest using flint if you can find stuff you can usually find it around lakes or streams. the fire hardened tips would be good for grouse,rabbits, squirrel and anything else that size. Hope i helped.
google is your friend

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Tips can be fire hardened I have made tips from pop cans, discarded metal, to hardwood carved and fire hardened, bone, shell caseings, flint, stone, for small game a blunt is good enough for coyote on up I use some sort of broadhead shaving sharp.

FVR
10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
For squirrels and grouse just stick a 38 casing on the end of the arrow.

Arrowheads don't have to be perfect. The Indians used many an arrowhead that todays prim. guru would skip into a lake. For rabbits, if you have a triangle shaped head tied on to the tip, it should do the job. Unless you are hunting the Georgia cane rabbits, then a broadhead is suggested.

I have three knapped arrowheads downstairs, all are covered with deer blood and hair. I can tell you, if you were to look at them, they don'e look like much, but they killed deer.

As far as coyotes, trap them, takes less time.

canid
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
a hardened wood point -preferably barbed- is sufficient for any animal which is too small to run very fast while dragging an arrow.

Rick
10-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Which, of course, would also include me.

Runs With Beer
10-31-2008, 07:02 PM
FVR is right, 38 casing over the end is deadly on small game.

snakeman
11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
thanks for the help. I made 2 arrowheads out of sediment or something. It was the only thin stuff that I could find that didn't brake in half when I tested its strength. It is kinda sharp on the point but the sides are blunt. don't know if that matters. I cant figure out how to bevel the egdes. they shot good with my beech wood bow. The only probem with wood tips i find is that they are light and kinda glind with the wind instead of taking a straight path. The only rock that makes sharp edges around here is cobble, quartz crystal, and i think granite.But they never break off into flat pieces and a lot of the crrek rocks i can shape but don't get sharp.

crashdive123
11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Snakeman - I'm still in the learning phase, but on small points you can pressure flake them to get a sharp edge. You don't need anything fancy. A small pad (leather, a piece of old tire) to keep from cutting yourself. I used a large nail when I first started. With practice you can get a very, very sharp edge.

crashdive123
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Snakeman - in case you're not familiar with pressure flaking, here's a video that does a pretty good job explaining it. Note: where he is using the antler is where I started using a large nail. I now use a heavy piece of copper wire that is put into a wooden dowel to make it easier to use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnaAcP53iyk

Runs With Beer
11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Snakeman, If you want something to practice on try broker toilets, It works the same way.They call it JOHN STONE. It will Knapp just like flint. and its free and multi use.

Runs With Beer
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
This was made by a good friend of mine in Salt Springs from Chert. He is one of the best Knappers I have ever personally met.

chiye tanka
11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
That's a sweet piece of work RWB.

your_comforting_company
09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
... Unless you are hunting the Georgia cane rabbits, then a broadhead is suggested...

http://www.rabbitworldview.com/jimmycarterandtheswamprabbit.php

One for Rick to add to his list..