PDA

View Full Version : what is a friend?

wareagle69
10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
ok guys teach me about friends, i am not good with people when i sit in the lunch trailer i realize i have nothing in common with these guys they talk motors and boats and cars and quads and hunting and fishing, even when i try to relate they look at me funny i am an extreme American in a northern Canadian city i have been in combat plus my other chosen extreme sports that you know takes a different personality.
when i moved here 7 years ago i was a different man than i am today i was just coming off my pro career and was into partying made a good friend but about 18 months into the friendship he moved 6 hours away, we get together a bout once a year and he was just here this weekend to see the homestead but i have realized we have nothing in common anymore so i am at a crossroads do i drop the friendship ? like i said i am a social misfit i fit with others of my kind folks that can relate to me i can talk to coot about some things trax others and nell about all things, but you guys are in the virtual world not here in mine. sad maybe but i have my wife and my horses and little brown dog(and skinny white dog) but brown dog i have had a relationship with longer than anyone so anyhow what is a friend to you?

Rick
10-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Listen. I don't sweat that stuff. Folks drift in and out of our lives all the time. Some good some not so good but I figure I can learn something from all of them. If they like me, fine. If they don't like me then that's something they have to come to terms with, not me. I pay more attention to the ones that don't particularly like me because they are the first to tell me when I mess up. My friends will let me walk around all day with broccoli in my teeth 'cause they don't want to hurt my feelings.:D Go figure.

rebel
10-26-2008, 08:44 PM
For me, when I make a friend it's for life. That's good and bad. However, I do have limits.

Like you, I'm different. My past experiences are so far different from regular folk, that folks think we're lying.

That's the reality, or un-reality. The point is, I've moved and don't look for acceptance in this world. I can smile in adversity. I enjoy who I am and what i believe.

FVR
10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Friends, a good one, if you have one in a lifetime you are lucky. I had one in the USMC, Mike. We got an apt. out in town in Oki., and just had a great time. He was as good as friend as oneyone could ask for.

After I got out, he wrote me about some of my doings. He threatened to take the next mac flight out of Oki, find me, and kick my ***. Just reading that letter, I got my act together.

Yet, all things change. Many years ago, he asked me to move out to Cal. and we could be border agents together, I passed. He got into some sheot, he is now in jail, been there for a few years and have a few more to go.

Other than that, don't have many, there are alot of aquaintences, or hunting buddys. But we only socialize during the hunting season, and now that I really do not hunt, I get together with Allan every now and then. But good friend, I guess. If he got his butt in trouble, I'd be there, if it was reversed, who knows.

Now, I have a good friend, let's call him Doc Fitz, cause that's his name. Never met face to face, but I would give him a body part if he needed it. Good phone conversations, emails, and all.

Both my wife and I have been burned by friends, it's just the way it is. Wife and I stay friends, well, most of the time.LOL.. You know what I'm saying.

Social misfit, yeh I guess I fit into that category. I'm not much into sitting arounnd with the guys talking of fights anymore, sports........naaaa, not me. Hunting, yeh I will sit around and talk at the end of the day around the fire, but during the day, stay the F away from me. If you do that, we will get along just fine.

wareagle69
10-26-2008, 09:51 PM
rick-people not liking me does not bother me i am well used to that
rebel- you hit the nail on the nail i see peoples questioning looks when they find out about my past experiences because they cannot imagine doing it themselves then i must not be, it is a point that i do not share about my life anymore which kind of defeats the point of getting to know someone.
frank- my one true friend is my wife i am lucky that way, but my animals are my friends they are loyal and show unconditional love and besides which if i do have brocoli stuck in my teeth they will try to get it so they must be true friends.
we have said many many times here that most of us are a different breed than most folks out there probably why we get along here but could we put up with each other if we lived close enough to socialize?

Sourdough
10-26-2008, 11:37 PM
In the movie "Paint your Wagon" Lee Marvin does a nice piece about partner, and what it is to be a partner.

owl_girl
10-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Thats very interesting remy though im not sure I interpreted it the way you were trying to get it across. But I think I get it for the most part. I dont totally understand the empty bag though.

I form long lasting friendships from time to time that I find very deep and fulfilling. They dont have to have the same hobbies or experiences, infact the more different the experiences the more intreuged I am and the more I want to learn about them. Im very curious about people and love trying to put myself in others shoes in trying to understanding them and where they come from rather or not I agree with thier pionts of veiw I can usually still understand where they are coming from.

Friend are the ones Im most devoted, suporting, and nurturing to. They are cherished.

huntermj
10-27-2008, 06:52 AM
I wish i could say something useful here but i find myself in about the same place as you. Last week i had maybe 25 personal phone calls, this week my phone has rung once, a buddy wanting to go kayaking. the difference, i don't own a business this week. They were just people who wanted something from me. I think life is a journey that we walk alone, we will meet many people along the way but in the end we are alone. I would rather have spent the last several years building a homestead rather then a business it has more value in my opinion.

nell67
10-27-2008, 07:00 AM
huntermj,

I agree with what you said about them wanting something,the fastest way to find out who your true friends are 1) get sick, or 2)lose your income,either one of those and only your true friends will still be around,another thing is to move farther away,I moved to a neighboring county a few years ago 15-20 minutes away,and it might as well been across the country.

Sarge47
10-27-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm a "friendly" person, just don't go out of my way to form bonds. Of course we move around a lot. My best friend is my wife, the next my grown kids. The dog's in there some where. I don't have people over; I don't fit in socially, shoot, if any of you got to know me "in the flesh" you'd probably start avoiding me. I think that this site is made up of, mostly, social misfits, & that's why it's so popular. Good thing too, otherwise none of us would have a place to hang out.:eek::rolleyes::D:cool:

crashdive123
10-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Many use the term friend, but few probably agree on its meaning. I have internet friends, business friends, childhood friends, social friends and lifelong friends. Friends can make you laugh; make you cry; will support you always; won't judge you; are always there for you; won't run away when things get tough; is trustworthy; somebody you can confide in; somebody that will listen to you. Time and distance can decrease the amount of time you spend with a friend, but they can't change the relationship with true friends.

nell67
10-27-2008, 07:34 AM
SO true Sarge,LOL you know the song, "Ya ain't much fun since you quit drinking"? Lost quite a few friends when I quit making the rounds at the bars.

I would rather have a truckload of "virtual friends" as WE called us,than to have even one "convienient" friend,someone who is my friend because it is convievient for them.

Sourdough
10-27-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm a "friendly" person, just don't go out of my way to form bonds. Of course we move around a lot. My best friend is my wife, the next my grown kids. The dog's in there some where. I don't have people over; I don't fit in socially, shoot, if any of you got to know me "in the flesh" you'd probably start avoiding me. I think that this site is made up of, mostly, social misfits, & that's why it's so popular. Good thing too, otherwise none of us would have a place to hang out.:eek::rolleyes::D:cool:

Where do people go who are banished from this forum....? INTERNET pergourtory......?

wareagle69
10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
i agree with huntermj i am spending my time building my homestead with my wife, i have no children(that i know of) although i wonder about one but she would be 21 and i wouldn't be a father to her i also have no family i was adopted a 2 and a half and was thrown to the wolves when i was 12 so i don't understand the words mother father brother sister aunt uncle, i understand rlely upon yourself, even when i was a ranger, bullrider and a cagefighter i felt a kinship with those men but not a friendship, i have been told that when i am old i will be lonely but what about the first 70 years that i am not lonely, even the wife agrees that she feels sorry for people if something happens to her cuz i will be grumpy but i will always have my horses and dogs and wilderness survival so call me a looser for not being able to form any lasting relationships but i can live with that, i do appreciate my friends here which is why i hold my comments sometimes, also why i created palerider cuz i was trying to bait someone and say what needed saying and if palerider got banned then at least wareagle could still fly

Sourdough
10-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Maybe, A mans dream is his best friend.

BraggSurvivor
10-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I see a trend here. A bunch of social misfits.

Myself, I have tons of friends, and at least 6 I would put my life on the line for.

If my life came down to needing "internet friends and relationships", there is something funky defiantly going on.

Ole WV Coot
10-27-2008, 10:16 AM
That "life on the line" is a joke. Was drunk with my "friends" in a bar and irritated a guy and his pals. My "friends" were the first to fold. One guy with us, just out of Lorton(prison) that I knew just to speak to backed me up. I learned to depend on me, never had anyone I could open up to. Might as well get adjusted to it, you change and so does everyone else so do your thing and be civil. I have many so called friends but none that I would really count on outside of my immediate family. I guess I am ready for the rubber room now.

wareagle69
10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I see a trend here. A bunch of social misf

If my life came down to needing "internet friends and relationships", there is something funky defiantly going on.

gosh thanks bragg thats the nicest thing you've ever said about me
the internet friends do fill a need someone to convers with that knows me in a way that i show them not unlike real life but i can just turn off the computer when i am done. want to know the thing that irritates me the most? a ringing telephone doesn't happen very much but i am a very selfish person i have always done what makes me happy and fills my needs and ya know what i sleep realy well at night thats what irritates her

nell67
10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I see a trend here. A bunch of social misfits.

Myself, I have tons of friends, and at least 6 I would put my life on the line for.

Defiantly??LOL.

I don't care how much your friend weigh Bragg,what really matters,or should matter,is if Bragg lost everything,for whatever the reason how many of those will still come around when you have nothing left to give of but yoursef,?? You may very well be surprised.

tsitenha
10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
wareagle69, would yo call "Bow" a friend or an acquaintance?

Riverrat
10-27-2008, 12:08 PM
With me it is the same, I have family, people I hang out with once in awhile, but not true friends. My friend is my wife. The one other person that I would call a true friend moved away a few years ago, we are no longer in touch and to tell the truth, the last time we met we had very little in common anymore.
I have tried the social avenue, but really prefer just to stay in my on little area and work on my land. I have been burned more then once by so called friends, and in the process have come to rely on me. Maybe I am a social mis-fit, not real sure, but if that is the case, then so be it....I am happy as I am.

tsitenha
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
To me what best expresses a friend is someone who through collective experiences has made it their goal in life to look out for your best interest even to the point of self sacrifice, equally important is the reverse concern on your part.
Sometime a friend will let you fail so you can grow up but will be there to restart you on your way.
Friends recognize each others faults but still hang in when it goes bad.

maybe not expressed in the right words, but the sentiment is genuine

trax
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Well that was expressed quite well for a "cold heartless breed" I'd kind of have to agree with it, you know from one cold heartless breed to another.

tsitenha
10-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I got a friend like that.
Drove me down to Toronto for an operation, 50% death rate prognosis.
Said if I died, I could come back in the trunk in a trash bag, so I wouldn't smell up the car.
What a man :)

trax
10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
well y'know...a friend is someone who will help you move, a real friend is someone who will help you move bodies...

wareagle69
10-27-2008, 03:49 PM
wareagle69, would yo call "Bow" a friend or an acquaintance?

acquaintance

BraggSurvivor
10-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Defiantly??LOL.

I don't care how much your friend weigh Bragg,what really matters,or should matter,is if Bragg lost everything,for whatever the reason how many of those will still come around when you have nothing left to give of but yoursef,?? You may very well be surprised.

I've sifted through those friends Nell, I very well know who's got my back. I have a large circle of friends, and we all rely on each other whole heartily when the chips are down. It's just a given. My friends come from all walks of life, business men, bikers, carpenters, banker and even a plumber. We ride, play poker, ATV, hunt, smoke cigars, camp and drink. We make it a point to get together at least once a month or more. Four of my six buds go back as far as grade/high school.

When I'm sick, go on holidays or need to deal with family/business matters my friends are lined up to look after my animals and home. I never have to ask and I do the same for them. We make it a point to serve each other as we know thats just what friends do for each other.

wildWoman
10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
We find it hard with our not so usual lifestyle to meet new people and make new friends, because we don't get out that often, and when we do we run around like crazy chickens, doing shopping, going to appointments and hanging out with the friends we already have. We would love to find a kindred soul or two who lives a similar lifestyle but so far, all the other people we know who live in the bush are either just there to make money from it or such die-hard extreme rednecks that the only thing we can agree upon is the weather. Sadly, most greenies seem to be too attached to their Starbucks megalopa latte frappucrappo to go beyond weekend warrior status.
I have my very best friend of 20 years who I know I can rely on no matter what life throws at me and vice versa. She lives a "normal" life and can't relate that much to my life out here but has visited often enough and loves the woods enough to at least understand the passion I have for it.
And other than that, we have a set of rather geriatric friends in town, aging hippies, who for a while all lived out in the bush and get a sparkle in their eyes when we tell our endless moose and snow stories (which after a while make most other people yawn).
Human friends are the people I dearly and fervently love, and animal friends are the ones I love without all the demands I place on people. I couldn't do without either.

trax
10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Sadly, most greenies seem to be too attached to their Starbucks megalopa latte frappucrappo to go beyond weekend warrior status.

...that's brilliant, I love that. That there is good writing people I don't care who you are,that's funny stuff.

Sarge47
10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Where do people go who are banished from this forum....? INTERNET pergourtory......?
How would I know & why would I care?:confused: Guess i'm just the "anti-social type.":eek:

klkak
10-29-2008, 10:25 PM
There are two things I know about friends and friendship.

1. To have a friend you have to be a friend.

2. A friend is someone who knows everything there is to know about you and yet loves you anyway.

bulrush
10-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Rick says it well, friends come and go over your lifetime. At least they have for me.

Try to hang out with people with similar interests. Or be alone. It's not a crime to value "thinkin time".

Being a loner is just another word for introvert. An interovert is someone who thinks a lot about things, and analyzes them, trying to really understand a topic or situation. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

In America today if you value personal responsibility, preparedness, true friendship with action, then you are a bit of an oddball, or a minority. Minorities are often labeled "misfits".

I'm happy not to be a part of the entitlista crowd that values entitlements, huge consumer debt, short-sightedness, material goods, and "gimme mine before it's all gone". They try to fill that hole in their soul with material things, and they wonder why it doesn't work.

Because I stick to what I think is right (without trying to convert others) I consider myself a leader, not a "sheeple".

crashdive123
10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Very nicely said Bulrush.

Ole WV Coot
10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Second that also.

Rick
10-31-2008, 06:32 AM
I'm tickled to death to be labeled a "sheeple". I wear it as a badge of distinction. Sort of like the term Geek a few years ago.

Rick
10-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I am your friend.
This i can say without any doubt.
I am your friend because i have decided to be your friend.
At least until I decide not to be.

FVR
10-31-2008, 09:17 PM
A friend is one that will get out of bed at 0200 and bail you out of jail.

A real friend is your buddy sitting next to you.

Sarge47
10-31-2008, 09:34 PM
I think that friendships develop between certain people, oft-times by shared experiences. Maybe by a life-time of close association. I have a friend who claimed I was his "best friend". I don't know why, I never went out of my way to get that title. I just listened to him when he talked without putting him down, & tried to be there for him if he needed any help. At the time he was going through a bad divorce after 24 years of marriage, & needed somebody to listen. I didn't mind, being hard-of-hearing and all.:rolleyes: A few years ago he met a different woman whom he married; & she's there for him. I hope she's now his "best friend."

War can also bond two people together, like nothing else. The movie: "Rescue Dawn" does a great job showing that. I remember when my cousin got out of the Marine Corps. He related a story that shows what I'm talking about. Before going to Viet Nam he had a member of his platoon he couldn't stand. They never got along at all. Then, in the jungle, he found himself pinned down by enemy fire & this guy pulled his fat out of the fire. They became solid buddies, almost like brothers; closer maybe, since his older brother was gay & they didn't get along. There were 5 other guys that became a part of this solid group, & all got home safely, without ever being injured or shot. After that, he never tried to re-establish contact with any of them; just crawled into a bottle or did drugs until he was just a shell of the person he used to be. He died 6 years ago. He was my age at the time. He wouldn't talk to family about his problems, but I can't help wondering if his friend(s) could have helped.:confused:

sh4d0wm4573ri7
11-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Friends ahh yes a friend is one whom borrows your tools and your wife and never brings back the tools ..... I'am easy going get along with all I come to meet, as far as friends well I've met maybe 6 people I'd actually call real friends the rest well I'm sure you all know the rest of the story

klkak
11-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Speaking of friends. What happened to TrapperRick? I noticed his post have been deleted and he ain't been around in awhile. Did someone pi$$ in his Cheerios then run him off?

crashdive123
11-01-2008, 06:18 AM
I'll send you a pm.