PDA

View Full Version : primitive cooking

snakeman
10-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I would like to start to trap some on my property but There isnt a need to kill if you dont eat it. What do ya'll think the best way to cook fish and small game with only whats in the woods? Any advice is appreciated.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
There is so much out there, try squirrel, with burdock greens , wild carrot,jerusalem artichokes,and ramps all stewed togather.

crashdive123
10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Snakeman - it can be as simple as hanging it above a fire with a stick through it, or if you have banana or ti leaves, wrapping it and placing it in the coals. Cooking fish on a split plank is another method. I think you will only be limited by your imagination.

Gray Wolf
10-15-2008, 01:31 AM
You can also use aluminum foil, wrap your fish in an extra long piece, with spices and butter, then seal it tight. With the extra lengths of foil at both ends, you can attach the ends to a stick above the fire, or like crash said, put it in the coals, using a smaller piece of foil. Seals in the juices well.

RobertRogers
10-15-2008, 03:12 AM
pack wet clay around your catch, put in coals of a fire.

pgvoutdoors
10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
pack wet clay around your catch, put in coals of a fire.

I myself have done that method many of times. I think I found some of the best/purest clay while hiking the Foothills Trail on the border of North Carolina - South Carolina. We used it to cook some small Brook Trout.

My father, who wasn't an avid outdoorsman, took a guided fishing trip to Canada back in the 70's. His most enthusiastic story was how his guide made their shore lunch using clay and grass. He was most impressed.

Gray Wolf
10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
We used it to cook some small Brook Trout

Oh, I can't wait to get back to my cabin in the mountains of northern Vermont!
The stream that's about 30' from my door, is full of Brook Trout.....
I love my Brook Trout. Breakfast fish! The most sweetest fish their is! OH OH

(slap head)

Sorry, kinda lost myself there... It's called Brook Trout Syndrome

pgvoutdoors
10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I agree, great fish! I go over to PA for them, within a couple of hours I'm in good fishing.

Madrox
10-15-2008, 05:58 PM
So if you do small game like that do you need to gut\clean them?

crashdive123
10-15-2008, 06:34 PM
At some point you will need to.

Rick
10-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Oh, you bet. Fish or game both need to be field cleaned. Insides removed and the fish scaled/skinned. The gamed skinned. I also remove the heads. Can't handle my food looking back at me. No, sir. Not gonna do that.

snakeman
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the help. For clay cooking, would mud/clay from the creek banks work? And I know you can eat some of the organs from mammals but do you cook them seperately or with the meat?

Rick
10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
I've used mud for both fish and potatoes. I don't know that there is anything special about creek banks or otherwise. You obviously want "dirt" that has a high clay content so it stays together. But I've never been too picky myself. I just pack it on and toss it in the fire. Any critters in the mud will be dispatched from the heat. As for organs, you'll have to talk to someone else. I don't do organs either.

wareagle69
10-17-2008, 07:15 AM
you can cook the brain tongue heart livr kidneys, you want to get rid of anything with crap init such as intestines and stomache, also you can use a flat rock and build a fire underneath of it an broil or bake your catch on the rock

Rick
10-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Oh, well yuck! Just yuck!!

wareagle69
10-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Oh, well yuck! Just yuck!!

have you ever tried any organs rick?

nell67
10-17-2008, 09:04 AM
I have eaten heart from several different animals,liver,gizzard from fowl,and when I was a kid squirrel brain.

Never had the kidneys .

wareagle69
10-17-2008, 09:08 AM
well i knew you had tried organs before but my question still stands to the twinkie

Rick
10-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, I have. Mostly from fowl. I love gizzards but don't do animal hearts, brains or kidneys and I've never had tongue. Don't like the taste of hearts. Bleeeeeck!

wareagle69
10-17-2008, 09:24 AM
i'm waiting on allan to bring me some moose tongue read something about how to cook it so want to try while mrs eagle is out of town next week, have had turkey gizzards and liver no heart, oh yeah reminds me of a hunting trip in flagstaff my frind jr shot a cow elk out from under a bull(boy was he mad jr could not come down from the stand for a while) but judy jr's wife cooked up fresh elk liver and onions taters and mushrooms that night, very very rich liver but one of the best meals i can ever remember.
and you missed the joke eh?

trax
10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, how about that recipe on moose tongue WE?

jrock24
10-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I have never had to skin or scale a trout. I always clean them right after I recast my pole after landing one.