PDA

View Full Version : When you say primative

HOP
09-01-2007, 08:39 AM
When you say or think primative skill what is it that you refer to. Do you think all natural or back to a certian time period. If you are young are old does the same image come in mind. I like old things and study primative skills like fire making , self bows, flint knapping and such but when it comes survival time it gets down to what works and is the most efficent . In a 100 years will fero rods be concidered primative and are solar stills primative. The list of questions goes on in my head and thought it might raise intrest.

wareagle69
09-01-2007, 09:02 AM
primitive skills are what i practice for fun, to as the song by the smokin armidillos say"could i have made it back then" I'm relaxed and having fun.

survival skills all bets are off being a plumber i always have a way of starting a fire, my acetylene torch is never far away all i need is a spark to start it, anything i have to do to live, kill whatever,destroy what ever i will face the consequences later back in town where i will be warm dry and well fed.

FVR
09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
To me "Primitive" means pre 1840 skills.

Prim. bow - wood no glass
Prim. gun - blackpowder sidelock
Prim. fire - made with flint/steel, bow, friction

etc.

Fog_Harbor
09-02-2007, 06:54 AM
At the expence of sounding like VolWest - it depends on your particular definition of the word...

I collect typewriters - and for a child of the 21st century, that is primative. One mistake, and you re-write EVERYTHING!

There has always been technology, so primitive is what went out with the last wave of knowledge.

For the purposes of this forum I would say that 'primative'or 'abo' is simply the abilty to thrive (not just survive) with nothing but what nature offers you, without the help of others or of manufatured goods.

FVR
09-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Okay.

For me pre 1840's gear.

wareagle69
06-30-2008, 09:55 PM
well thanks to a guest for veiwing this i look at my response a year ago and where i am now i still wonder if i could have made it back then back even a 1000 years ago primitive to me is all natural i have gotten very good at starting a fire by flint and steel next i will master fricton fires that is primitve if you escaped from prison or a pow camp or what have you and you had to live w/o tools ala joe mack from the last of the breed flintnapping making your cordage with roots or from animal sinew or your bow and arrows or finding food to me doesn't matter if it was 1800ad or 1800 bce thats what primitve is to me