PDA

View Full Version : Log or ?

SeaScene
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Hello... I have 60 acres in Ontario north of Lake Huron...gorgeous fronts a small river leading to a chain of lakes...good fishing and hunting area. Where land has been cleared in the area gardens seem to thrive. My kids are grown so I will be building a small shelter for myself with room for a mate down the road a bit. I am looking at shelters and log is appealing as I have an abundance. However, I am also open minded about assessing alternatives. For example board and batten allows for interior studs and insulation. Ideally, I guess a book recommendation about off grid shelters would be a good start.

Many thanks in advance
Gary

Rick
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the forum. Try a search on "homesteading". You'll get a lot of links not only about type of buildings but also some ideas about eletricity, cellars, things to think about when building and a lot more.

wareagle69
10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
howe far north are ya SS i am on a homestaed myself about 2 hours east of sault saint marie any how welcome to the site

Sourdough
10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Do you want home owners insurance on the property....? They loathe log structures, Do you enjoy dusting horizontal dust collectors...? Things to consider.

RaymondPeter
10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
If you want the looks of log but the ease of "normal" walls think about half log homes. They are a normal stick built home designed to use (half) logs for siding. They don't use the lightweight log siding that you see some people add to their homes. They basically cut the normal logs in half, hence the term half log. ;) Although you can renovate some homes to use these types of logs too.

Example: http://www.timberwolfloghomes.com/

Gray Wolf
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Do you enjoy dusting horizontal dust collectors...?

That's the truth! Anyone that has lived in a log cabin or house found that out... The hard way...
Myself being one of them!

wareagle69
10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
i am working on a building on the property made of cedar just a small place kind of like a guest house one room with a wood stove hope to begin in the spring

rebel
10-13-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1981-05-01/A-100-Log-Cabin.aspx

I thought this was pretty cool. I bet WW could give some good advise about this.

SeaScene
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for link rebel. The west coast climate would handle log better than northern Ontario....just not well insulated enough for winters here unless you kept the wood stove continually stoked. But thanks all for info... I would like log but in the north here there is lots of board/batten and isulated studs on interior. Building on piers with skirting around is also something I am considering.

...Gary

canid
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
keep in mind that if you like log, or more importantly if you have a compelling reason to go with log, and can get drywall material like sheetrock brought in you could still have in interior dry wall and even insulation.

Rick
10-14-2008, 07:00 AM
That's true. Just remember that logs will settle so you want them to do that before adding drywall or paneling inside. Unless, of course, you like that roadmap look.:D

snakeman
10-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Seascene, you could build a log tent. A simple one is probably easier to build than a cabin.
http://www.jinaka.co.uk/image/imagesw2.jpg

trax
10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
If the log building is done properly and the logs are thick enough, you don't need any other wall insulation. That's provided that you want log interior walls too mind you.

rebel
10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello... I have 60 acres in Ontario north of Lake Huron...gorgeous fronts a small river leading to a chain of lakes...good fishing and hunting area. Where land has been cleared in the area gardens seem to thrive. My kids are grown so I will be building a small shelter for myself with room for a mate down the road a bit. I am looking at shelters and log is appealing as I have an abundance. However, I am also open minded about assessing alternatives. For example board and batten allows for interior studs and insulation. Ideally, I guess a book recommendation about off grid shelters would be a good start.

Many thanks in advance
Gary

I like a challenge...

I remember from an old popular mechanics magazine something involving a modular cabin. The 4x8 sections were made in the garage then transported to the site for assembly.

On another note, I knew a guy who had fly in property in your area. He was going to truck the supplies to his site in the winter when the lakes were frozen. He had also said something about helo lifting a cabin to the site. I don't know what he decided.

Maybe this helps.

SeaScene
10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
..thanks for replies... very much enjoying this site. I have been living on BC coast on a sailboat for past 3 years but I miss the land. Good luck to all

Gary

crashdive123
10-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Ah, sailboat living. I've never slept better.

Gray Wolf
10-16-2008, 08:25 PM
I knew I liked you crash, it's like being rocked to bed every night. Just need a Sidney Greenstreet suit. And a parrot! :D

crashdive123
10-16-2008, 09:04 PM
For about six months I lived on a friends boat (38 foot Morgan) up in a little marina in Poulsbo, WA.